Biotest

Fat Man Walking

I’ve been obese for most of the last decade, my crowning achievement being a solid 300lbs. I’ve exercised erratically the whole time, dropping and regaining up to 30lbs more than once. I think that I just finally got tired of being the fat guy. In March & April I undertook a juice fast and lost over 40lbs in 2 months. It’s the first time I’ve ever consistently given up food for the sole purpose of health. It’s the fastest I’ve ever lost weight and it’s the best I’ve felt in a long time. However, whatever muscle I’ve kept over the years was eaten away. Considering my starting point it’s not surprising that I’m still fat but now I’m weak, too.
Now I’m going to change all that. Today, I have a final day of rest and I’ll go out for a nice sushi dinner.
The Fat Man will die and I’m going to kill him.

WARNING - I’m going to post pictures in the next post. Both from a few years ago and from last week. I am still a gross fat man so if you feel you must scroll down then please suppress your gag reflex. No one wants their computer to be drenched in regurgitated protein shake.

I tried to warn you - gross fat man pictures.

Height 180cm
Weight 108kg
Neck 43cm
Chest 117cm
Waist(at Navel) 114cm
Hips 117cm
Upper Arm - L 36
Upper Arm - R 37.5
Upper Leg - L 61cm
Upper Leg - R 61cm
Lower Leg - L 42cm
Lower Leg - R 42cm
Ankle - L 25cm
Ankle - R 25cm

wow, you ARE fat. Good luck. Once you get passed the first couple weeks it’s cake. I’ve dropped about 60 pound twice quite easily. NOw i never let myself get over weight. YOu gotta want it, and you’ll succeed.

[quote]VonStinkle wrote:
wow, you ARE fat. Good luck. Once you get passed the first couple weeks it’s cake. I’ve dropped about 60 pound twice quite easily. NOw i never let myself get over weight. YOu gotta want it, and you’ll succeed.[/quote]

Yup, and thank you. I actually have no fear of being able to stick to these rules. As is evidenced by the pictures I’ve not been one to pass on a meal. Ever. So the recent realization that I could actually go 2 months without eating anything was a HUGE freakin’ revelation. The only thing I expect to be hard are the workouts. The fast was eye opening, I expect the V-Diet should be fun.

I like Verti-gal’s use of baggies so I’m going to make the first few days as easy as possible.

WK1SUN
DBSquat 24-24kg 10-10-10-10
DBBench 20-20kg 10-9-7-6-5-3
BBRow 15-15kg 10-7-6-6-5-6
Plank Hold 45s-45s

THOUGHTS

Weights- I think I messed up the DBSquat. My gym doesn’t have DBs heavier than 38kg so I used 2DBs to up the weight. However, because of the sheer bulk I had to bend over quite a bit too raise them past my crotch without seriously injuring myself.

I can feel the strain in my lower back and it concerns me since I’ve sprained my SI joint twice and I’ve no desire to find myself unable to walk for another week. Next week I’ll try wrapping a rope around them so I can have a grip closer together and still keep my back straight. Also, that Plank hold kills me.

Shakes- Lunch comes around and I really am not hungry at all. I’m very full from breakfast & the Surge and I have to force to myself drink the shake. Of the many, many times in my life where I’ve had to decline a meal for being full I mu… wait, I’ve never done that.

Am I seriously going to have to force feed myself for a month!? What kind of fucked-up-foie-gras torture method is this that we have to get the fat man eating more than he can handle so he can lose weight?

OK, now I’m scared. And I think I hate somebody. I’m not quite sure who but yeah… I definitely hate somebody. Maybe.

keep to the diet and be strict with the loads and rest periods on the workouts and you’ll rock this thing.Its funny but most people seem to find it hard in the first few days to get all their shakes down,it gets abit harder after that but i’m sure you’ll blast through it and gain some fantastic results.I’d say good luck but on this diet luck doesn’t come into it,the diet works full stop

good luck dude. you better stick it out with teh diet the full 28 days. be realistic about your goals, you know you’re still gonna be fat after you’re done with the V-Diet. just think of this as a kick-start for the rest of your life.

stay patient. you didn’t get obese over night, you won’t grow healthy over night either.

[quote]burleywhite wrote:
keep to the diet and be strict with the loads and rest periods on the workouts and you’ll rock this thing.Its funny but most people seem to find it hard in the first few days to get all their shakes down,it gets abit harder after that but i’m sure you’ll blast through it and gain some fantastic results.I’d say good luck but on this diet luck doesn’t come into it,the diet works full stop[/quote]

[quote]tehil wrote:
good luck dude. you better stick it out with teh diet the full 28 days. be realistic about your goals, you know you’re still gonna be fat after you’re done with the V-Diet. just think of this as a kick-start for the rest of your life.

stay patient. you didn’t get obese over night, you won’t grow healthy over night either. [/quote]

Thank you both. I understand that the common thoughts among trainers is not to bother with fat people as they’ll just fail & disappoint. Some of the authors here at T-Nation have mentioned it a few times in their articles. I also noticed that we’ve already had one guy over here in Japan quit the V-Diet and apparently he was already in shape to begin with. I admit I’ve failed diets a number of times but for whatever reason I’ve no fear of that anymore.
I’ll not become just another statistic.

WK1TUE
RomanDL 20-20kg 15-11-9-6-5-4
LatPull 54kg 16-11-9-7-7
StShouPr 10-10kg 14-7-7-5-5-5-4-4
SdPlank L10sR10s - L10s-R10s

THOUGHTS

Weights- The StShouPr made me feel a bit queasy and I started to worry that I might throw up. I take a sip of Surge b/n stations to keep my mouth cool so it may have just been a reaction to the sweetness but considering how fuckin’ hard the press was to finish I suspect I was just working harder. The feeling followed me into the shower & onsen so I’m betting on the latter. The SdPlank damn near killed me today. In practicing that before I could hold 45s or so but today I was near crying at 10s. Again, I’m hoping that’s reflective of working harder.

Shakes- My 3rd day the shakes seem to go down a little easier though the frequent burping has been a little surprising. I think I was initially shocked by the sweetness of them and of how full they made me. I’m a little better about just choking them down but I can’t help the back of my mind screaming at me, “You’re still full, you fat fucker! Stop eating already!” I’ve no illusions that I know better than the people who designed the system though so I’ll just keep tossing them down and hope that it’ll start feeling routine.

Health- The constipation is noticeable but only mildly uncomfortable, it’s usually pretty easy to ignore. The effects of the HOT-ROX are more notable though. I can feel my body being warmer just sitting around and it seems to exacerbate my insomnia. I find myself lying in bed for 3-4 hours before falling asleep despite being pretty tired. I also have to piss every 90 minutes or so, even at night which is annoying.

In regards to your sleep, I had similar problems the first few days with going to bed at the regular time and lying in bed exhausted, but not able to sleep. It should pass soon. What time of day are you taking your second dose of HOT-ROX? You might need to pull that earlier into the day if need be. You need to have your rest.

As to the constipation, are you taking a fiber supplement such as Benefiber which is recommended in the diet? That will help if you are not, or if you are, perhaps your body is just adjusting? I couldn’t find benefiber here, so I add a teaspoon of ground psyllium husks to two of my shakes (when there is no flax seed required).

You’ll adjust to getting the shakes down, but I find now in my last week it’s sometimes a struggle to get the last one of the day down even though it’s my favourite one with p/b.

I agree with FGG about your sleep, moving your 2nd dose of HOT-ROX to earlier in the afternoon should make a difference if you’ve been taking it toward the evening.

Also, about a week or so into the diet…I added 5-HTP to my bedtime supplements. It helps get me relaxed/drowsy.

Don’t know what to tell you about the peeing…??? Comes with the territory when you increase your fluid intake I guess.

God, I feel like crap.

My stomach is nauseous all the time. I dread each shake because I’m wondering if this is the one that’s finally going to have me puking all over the place. I get at best 4 hours of sleep a night and I feel like a damn sloth all damn day. I’ve got to be doing something wrong. The taste of the shakes makes want to hurl and (I can’t believe I’m actually typing this) but I’d genuinely rather just not eat anything than choke down another one. God I need to vomit.

I haven’t even finished the first week and all I do is complain, bitch and feel sick. I’ve got 9 more tubs of MetDrive to go through and I swear it makes me want to cry. What the hell is so wrong with me that I can’t even drink a goddamn shake?

WK1Thu
SumoDL 25-25kg 9-7-7-6-3-4-4
IncDB 18kg 9-8-6-6-6-5
LatPullwd 54kg 9-8-7-7-5-4
Plank Hold 1m-45s

THOUGHTS

Weights- I felt bad from the start. It was hard shit but it doesn’t really feel like I accomplished anything. I did slightly improve the plank hold though, so I guess that’s something.

Shakes- I despise these. It’s just like China all over again.

just suck it up dude. it’s mind over matter.

get your ass on the scale and check your weight. that should be motivation enough to keep you going.

one more thing… if the sweetness of the shakes is what’s bothering you (that kills me too) get a cup of black coffee and use it as a chaser for the shake.

i’ll do 8-10 sips of the shake in one huge sitting, take a small drink of black coffee, then another 8-10 sips to finish off the shake, followed by another small drink of the coffee. all in all, the shake goes down in about 45 seconds.

How much HOT-ROX are you taking a day and what is the time of your doses? You may be sensitive to the effects and need to start on half doses until you build up tolerance (just a supposition on my part) Are you drinking tea/coffee/soda that contains caffeine late in the evening? Also, how carb heavy was your food intake before you started the diet? If memory serves, some folks have a tougher first few days if there carbs where high before they started. I can’t help you on the shakes. Have you tried blending with ice?

I’m pretty sure I’ve already failed the V-Diet. It’s not ‘cause of the lack of food and the irony of that really fuckin’ eats at me. I can’t handle the shakes. I skipped last night’s bedtime shake. I spent this morning lying down in the nurse’s office and skipped today’s lunch, snack & bedtime shakes. I’m 5 days into the diet and my stomach ends it for me… again, the irony.

I came close to crying today at the gym. I’m doing IncDB and I know I’m going to have to drink 3 more shakes after the Surge & I know I can’t do it. I can’t abandon the V-Diet outright either. I can’t quit. I will kill the fat man I don’t care how long it goddamn takes.
I’m close to real tears and a thought occurs to me (and thank God 'cause that would have been embarrassing as hell). I can’t remember who wrote it but I remember an article a while back on T-Nation that pointed out that you can’t control results, you can only control behavior. I may not be able to do the V-Diet but I’ll be damned if I quit. So today I went to a convenience store, bought onigiri (a rice ball with fish inside) walked out to the parking lot and very purposefully took a bite, chewed very thoroughly and spit it out. I did that 5 more times. I chewed it up, spat it out and swallowed nothing. I may not be able to control my reaction to food but I can goddamn well control how I deal with it.

I think I can choke down 2 shakes a day. My first scheduled HSM will be Saturday so tomorrow I’ll eat nothing, choke down 2 more shakes and the next day I’ll try the V-Transition phase 2. If I can only force 2 shakes down then by Buddha I will do it according the plan.
I may have failed the V-Diet but I ain’t goddamn quitting.
Obviously no one’s going to want to bother with this thread. I expect to continue to update it for my own diary/recording purposes but there are people succeeding and actually worth paying attention to. I’m sorry to clog up their message board but I need to record something.

[quote]tehil wrote:
just suck it up dude. it’s mind over matter.
get your ass on the scale and check your weight. that should be motivation enough to keep you going. [/quote]

According to the scale I’ve lost 3kg in 6 days. It’s why I can’t quit. Obviously I can’t expect the same results but I suppose that’s just a natural penalty of failing.

[quote]tehil wrote:
one more thing… if the sweetness of the shakes is what’s bothering you (that kills me too) get a cup of black coffee and use it as a chaser for the shake.
i’ll do 8-10 sips of the shake in one huge sitting, take a small drink of black coffee, then another 8-10 sips to finish off the shake, followed by another small drink of the coffee. all in all, the shake goes down in about 45 seconds. [/quote]

I didn’t think coffee was allowed on the V-Diet, I haven’t consumed anything other than shakes & supplements. I think if it was only drinking the shake itself I could do it but I swear I’m sitting at my desk, powder ready to be mixed and I have the very pressing urge to vomit. The smell makes me feel ill. I had the same reaction to the food prepared at my school in China (nobody actually liked the food over there but no one had as bad a reaction as I did).

[quote]FGG wrote:
How much HOT-ROX are you taking a day and what is the time of your doses? You may be sensitive to the effects and need to start on half doses until you build up tolerance (just a supposition on my part) Are you drinking tea/coffee/soda that contains caffeine late in the evening? Also, how carb heavy was your food intake before you started the diet? If memory serves, some folks have a tougher first few days if there carbs where high before they started. I can’t help you on the shakes. Have you tried blending with ice?[/quote]

The 1st 2 days I had one in the morning and 1 for lunch. I started having 4 each day (at the same times) after that. I’ve taken HOT-ROX before so I’ve experienced the queasiness, sleeplessness and warmer body-temp before. None of that was unexpected so that’s a fair supposition but it was never to this degree.

For 2 months prior I switched to a vegan/organic centric diet. Oddly, not very easy to do in Japan but I put forth a serious amount of effort. I had fresh fruit daily and began to build a near addiction to banana, mango & soy milk smoothies. I started cooking nearly every day and would bring my own lunches of vegetable curry and paneer to school (which earned me some very curious glances).

I even had emergency rations of vegan burritos and apples stashed at my schools. In the whole of my life I’ve never eaten healthier than I did in the couple months before the V-Diet. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but today I’ve only had 2 shakes and I feel (while not exactly good) considerably better than I have so far this week. I don’t have the urge to throw up at any rate.

Im defiantly going to be keeping track of your progress. Myself being a FB I find your determination uplifting and motivational. Maybe with the rapid transition to Phase 2 you can prep yourself for success when you come back to Phase 1. Keep up good work.

Here shortly I will start the Vdiet myself. Although ive got a bit more work to do. Another 30lbs to loose and ill be ready for the program.