Biotest

Fasted Cardio Heart Rate Question

I the fasted cardio with MAG-10 this morning. I started at the 4% incline and at 3 mph. I began measuring my heart rate using the monitor on the treadmill. It got up to around 130, so I dropped to 2.5 mph. Measured again and my heart rate had dropped to around 65. Upped it to 2.8 mph and my heart rate was at 120 and eventually back to 130. Moved to 2.6 and my heart rate went back to around 110. My question is, how accurate are these monitors on the treadmill? Should such minute changes in speed be causing such jumps in heart rate? Just trying to keep below 120 as the article said.

Thanks!

You guessing right: those heart rate monitors on treadmills are usually way off and/or inconsistent. Same with the calorie-counting mechanism. A monkey could count calories burned more accurately, and be much more amusing.

Dr. Lowery nails it when he says “non-panting cardio” (assuming you’re doing his hour-long style.)

Don’t fret with the numbers. You know when you’re out of breath and when you just walking fast or slightly inclined. Usually, “fast walk” will do it with that style. Incline can be a little trickier. Doesn’t take much.

Thanks, Chris!

a chest mounted heart rate monitor is much better.

[quote]bwbski wrote:
a chest mounted heart rate monitor is much better.[/quote]

Thanks!

If you don’t have a teadmill, can you do this on a stationary bike as long as your not panting?

[quote]scotty41593 wrote:
If you don’t have a teadmill, can you do this on a stationary bike as long as your not panting?[/quote]

Sure.