Biotest

Fast Food Inventor Guy *** Complete and Maintaining

Thinking about doing another round. 5/12/12

I’m a 30 year old food scientist with about 15 years of workout experience…some good years, some better. For every year of experience I think I know more about fitness, nutrition, and myself but I always look back and find out there is much much more to learn and accomplish.

I plan on starting the V-Diet on 5/10/09. I think my blog could get interesting because I am a product developer for a major fast food chain. I am around huge amounts of (free) ingredients and food products daily and everything is always about food, food, and more food. So if I can get through the hunger cravings ANYONE CAN.

Currently I would say I eat about 75% clean and workout very hard. But for the last few years I really didnt have a specific goal in site just lifted heavy, but recently began to transition from more of a musclehead (sorry big guys) to a 'crossfit’er because I find that more challenging at this stage of my life.

Bottom line I am a pretty strong at 5’8 195 lbs prob ~15% b.f. I have never seen my lower abs so wondering if I can have more then a 2 1/2 pack. The velocity diet seems like if any diet is going to get me there this one will!!! I will follow up with stats and photos shortly!

*there is a pic of me in my photos when I was 19 yrs old…trying to blow that one away!

You invented the Angry Whopper didn’t you?

good luck- with this diet, you should be able to get more than the 2 1/2 pack going

Fast food guy does V-Diet…

This should be a good one!

Glad to have you here. Any questions for me, be sure to post them in the Ask Chris thread so I’ll be sure to see them.

Or was it the 4x4 protein animal style?? (nod to California)

didnt invent the angry whopper…BUT maybe a 1000 calorie salad!

hehe interesting fastfood inventor on a liquid diet! will be sure to follow your progress

[quote]steveny168 wrote:
didnt invent the angry whopper…BUT maybe a 1000 calorie salad! [/quote]

lol, you’re evil

DAY ONE - READY TO DO THIS

Shake is NOT THAT BAD…have you complainers had supplements before??..well ask me again on day 28! :wink:

Starting Measurement:

Height - 5-8.5"
Weight - 195.2 @ 14.6% with Tanita TBF-622
Neck - 16"
Shoulders - 50"
Chest - Upper - 46"
Chest - Lower - 42"
Waist - at Navel - 37"
Waist - at largest - 37.5"
Hips - at largest - 39"
Upper Arm - L - 15.5"
Upper Arm - R - 15.25"
Upper Leg - L - 25"
Upper Leg - R - 25"
Lower Leg - L - 16"
Lower Leg - R - 16"
Ankle - L - 9.5"
Ankle - R - 9.5"

Recent activity before starting V-diet
-2 Months of Crossfit
-5/3/09 - OC 1/2 Marathon 2:03 (1st time running, didnt train for it)
-5/9/09 - Litvisprints with Crossfit Costa Mesa (great workout prior to starting diet)

5/10/09 Day 1 - Advanced V-Burn Challenge (not supposed to start with this)

*focused on form, had to catch my breath here and there…also I can do handstand pushups but took a while to complete them.

7 Circuits
1)5:05
2)11:20
3)19:34
4)27:42
5)36:40
6)45:21
7)52:54

Polar HR Monitor- 897 cal, 171 hr avg, 187 max

Day 2 - The excitement of starting something NEW trumps the idea of CRAZY

Didn’t have any trouble sleeping, but I feel a little tired today but I am going to blame the weekend and Monday blues…not the V-Diet (yet). Got to work at 8:30AM and got invited to lunch by 8:42AM…gotta love it! I also feel a tad warmer then usual may be the HOT-ROX not sure. Shakes are getting tougher to enjoy…looking forward to tonights PB!!!

Oh also bought some Spectrum ‘dry roasted’ milled flax seed today. It says its made to taste good out of bag I may try that instead of in the shake just to get some chewing and texture going on in my life…THIS STUFF TASTES GREAT!

*just like others reported drinking the chocolate shake warm is a nice alternative
*plantation mint tea helps me with cravings (recommendation was mint green tea)

10 min treadmill warm-up (NEPA walk) 1.0 incline @ 4.0 mph

A-Bent-Over Dumbell Row (70 lbs is heaviest my work gym has) 10-10-9 (did extra too ez)
B-Overhead Squat (35 lbs on each side will increase next time-need to work on balance) 6-7-8
C-Dip (45 lbs between leg will increase next time) 8-6-6
D-Ab-Wheel Rollout 10-5-5

15 min treadmill cool-down (NEPA walk) 1.0 incline @ 4.0 mph

Day 3- Party Foul at a House Party

This was the hardest day so far. The 3rd shake of the day made me nauseous and I never experienced that from shakes before. Also went to a house party to watch Lakers/Angels/Ducks and there was food and alcohol everywhere!!! Did great job avoiding all of that good stuff with my Coke Zero (treat) and and shake #4 that I blended when needed.

I SERIOUSLY love the dry roasted milled flax. Allows me to chew and enjoy a little and eat outside of the shake. Today I started day dreaming about my Sunday solid meal as well.

Energy was a tad low but mainly just cravings and nausea made me only want to recommend this diet to my enemies!

Coke Zero and powder? Which flavor(s) of powder for that? Sounds bizarre but I’d be willing to give it a shot. Damn nice job avoiding the food at the house party! And wow - product developer for a fast food chain going on the velocity diet? Cool deal!

The first few days get progressively harder, but then tapers off. You’ll get into a rhythm and get used to having protein shakes constantly. Just keep up the good work!

[quote]hammerhead70 wrote:
Or was it the 4x4 protein animal style?? (nod to California)[/quote]

I saw two friends take down a 4x4 last weekend. I felt really bad for their (entire body) digestive system that night.

Since you’re the expert on food inventions, we’ll be looking to you to come up with some interesting variations on the shakes! A lot of people in here are recommending adding flavoured extracts and mixing powders to come with things like “lemon-ice”. (Haven’t tried any variations myself - I figure I shouldn’t really enjoy this as punishment so I never get fat again…)

Good luck and stay strong!!

[quote]redhawk223 wrote:
Coke Zero and powder? Which flavor(s) of powder for that? Sounds bizarre but I’d be willing to give it a shot. Damn nice job avoiding the food at the house party! And wow - product developer for a fast food chain going on the velocity diet? Cool deal!

The first few days get progressively harder, but then tapers off. You’ll get into a rhythm and get used to having protein shakes constantly. Just keep up the good work![/quote]

After I wrote this I thought someone may interpret it wrong…I meant I was drinking coke zero when everyone was drinking beers and eating food…and when I got hungry I made a shake. But now curious on it…maybe (flat) Coke Zero + Vanilla?..nah sounds gross

[quote]AmyGottsch wrote:
Since you’re the expert on food inventions, we’ll be looking to you to come up with some interesting variations on the shakes! A lot of people in here are recommending adding flavoured extracts and mixing powders to come with things like “lemon-ice”. (Haven’t tried any variations myself - I figure I shouldn’t really enjoy this as punishment so I never get fat again…)

Good luck and stay strong!! [/quote]

Now this is product development challenge…make something taste better without adding any new ‘solid’ ingredients or any additional calories…thats why everyone is playing with extracts. I really like the chocolate warm with cinnamon…but at this pt i rather drink it quick so too much ice, or anything like pudding is a turn off. Gonna see if I can find some interesting flavor extracts to mess with. Maybe we can get the email of the Biotest product developer and ask him to make better flavors :wink: Maybe make it crunchy and taste like Doritos? I wish.

But like I mentioned in another blog

“Think of one of your favorite foods in life. How about apple pie. Eat
152 slices of pie for 28 days and see if you still like apple pie. Now
think of something you dont really like…lets pick protein
shakes…do you get my point!?” LOL

Day 4 - Am I going to puke???

I dont wake hungry and the 1st 2 shakes ususally go down pretty ez. The 3rd one (when I take my 2nd dose of HOT-ROX) has been rough going down and about 45 min later I did the prescribed advanced workout. I pushed myself hard and completed it under 30 min. Immediately after I started to feel nauseous…and I knew I wouldnt be able to get the post-workout shake down. I pretty much ran out of the gym not knowing if I actually was going to hurl…was a little dizzy driving home as well.

About 45 min later I drank the post-workout shake and nauseous feeling eventually passed. This was the 2nd day in a row that the 3rd shake made me feel this way…not sure if its the flavor or just getting sick of it. I can deal with the cravings but I dont want to feel like I have to puke.

15 min warm up on treadmill 4.0 mph @ 1.0 incline
15 min cool down on treadmill 4.0 mph @ 1.0 incline

Lat Pulldown (no pull up bar can you believe it!?) - 160 lbs - 10-9-8-5-5-3
Incline Dumbell (70lbs is heaviest dumbells) - 15-10-8-7
Romanian Deadlift (70 lbs heaviest dumbells) - 12-10-8-8-3
Barbell Curl - 95 lbs - 10-8-6-6-5-5
Reverse Crunches - 10-10-6-6-8

Day 5 - Baseball Game and a Nightclub on V-Diet

Today was interesting. Afternoon Angels/Boston game on the V-Diet…I can live without the hot dog but man will I miss the peanuts and lite beer in the sun…when I was in the seat you notice all the food and smells merging together…I was equipped with a nicely timed shake just before I left, a pack of watermelon sugar free gum in one side, and mint flavored in the other…and a can of diet ginger ale. With out those ‘aids’ I may have just chewed on the program to get some cellulose in my system. It was managable and the game went 12 innings!!! I was getting hungry…and according to my friends ‘cranky’…I hurried home to get my next shake in.

Later that night I hit a nightclub to see ferry corsten tear it up. Not drinking…NOT a problem for me. Not eating solid meals before or after thats new for me. To get through this event I ate 1 Tbsp of the nat. PB on my 4th shake and 1 Tbsp on my 5th shake when I got home…it really helped me get through the night with little cravings…is this a ‘slippery slope’ day…I dont think so. This isnt an exact science…stick to the plan, but stick to it in a way that you will succeed.

Day 6 - 1 Week of work and no fast food tasting!

I really pushed it with the workout…

443 cal, 187 max h.r., 177 avg h.r. under 25 min

Front Squat - 70 lbs heaviest dumbells - 6-6-6-6-4

Bench Press - 70 lbs heaviest dumbells - 8-7-7-4

Chin-Up had to do pull down version - 190 lbs 5-4-4-4-3-3-3

Push Press 60 lb dumbells - 5-4-5-4-4-3

this was def like a Crossfit style workout…very intense and barely enough rest between heavy sets