Biotest

EmilyBs VDiet log - 32-F Desk Job, Active Hobbies

VDiet Day 13

Kind of a long and boring day. Buzzed around the house cleaning stuff. Dropped some weight on the scale finally! Dinner is two chicken sausages, roasted broccoli and spaghetti squash with some Braggs aminos. Chicken sausage is AWESOME. Tastes just as good as pork sausage, and like half the fat and calories.

Measurements and week 2 recap tomorrow!

Midpoint Stats:
Weight: 169lbs yesterday, 169.8 today… the truth is somewhere between (-about 6lbs)
Bodyfat %: 22.2 (-1.3%)
Neck: 13.5" (no change)
Shoulders: 42" (-1 inch)
Upper arm: 11.5" (-1 inch)
Chest: 38" (-2 inch)
Waist: 30" (-1 inch)
Belly: 33" (-1.5 inch)
Hips: 41.5" (-1 inch)
Upper thigh: 25.5" (-1 inch)
Midthigh: 22" (no change)

Comparing now to 2 weeks ago (front)

Comparing now to two weeks ago, side

Week 2 recap
VDiet Day 14

Looking at the before and after pics, I can definitely see the difference. After only 2 weeks, I’m much leaner and can even see some definition in my abdomen. And the measuring tape doesn’t lie, I’ve certainly lost some inches.

The actual weight I’ve lost in just this week wasn’t much though (~2lbs, questionably), and I don’t have high hopes of losing more than 2lbs a week from here on out. Which is disappointing, because I could lose that myself, eating solid foods every meal. So I’m wondering if the shakes are really worth it, if I could get the same macros eating a delicious pile of lean meat and veggies.

The dear fiance has lost about 14lbs and he’s all for continuing. So, I’m still along for the ride.

We were planning on riding along with a local bike shop’s brewery bike tour this afternoon (not drinking of course), but it looks like it might be rained out. If nothing else, I’ll do the VBurn challenge today and finish up with laundry. Probably more chicken sausages on the grill for dinner tonight.

VDiet day 15

Another rainy and cold day. No walk this morning. I’m scheduled to give blood today, but I’m thinking I might reschedule it. This diet has my iron running low (though I did have steak last night instead of more sausage), and it’s lower calorie… not sure if it’d be safe to give blood. If I do, I will shift my workout schedule off a day. Will probably have a solid food lunch, directly after giving blood.

Follow up to blood donation: it went well! I actually had a shake just prior to donating, so I was well hydrated and fed. The phlebotomist congratulated me on how rich and healthy my blood looked (lol?), and how quickly I filled the bag; something she attributed to general good fitness.

I did follow up with some roast beef off a sandwich, a keeblers fudge stick and a small piece of chocolate pound cake… both of the latter two items paled in satisfaction to the first, so that’s a general food desirability improvement. I decided to not work out tonight in accordance with Red Cross recommendations, and I also skipped a shake because I had those snacks.

Here’s my question for you: Would you look like that in the mirror after just 2 weeks of eating solid food? You’re making great progress, keep it up!

[quote]TMGainz wrote:
Here’s my question for you: Would you look like that in the mirror after just 2 weeks of eating solid food? You’re making great progress, keep it up![/quote]

That is the big question, right? If I was eating 1200-1500 calories a day of a high protein solid food diet, with a highly bio-available carb spike pre- and intra-workout, would I have the same results? I’m thinking “Maybe…” What benefit does drinking the calories provide over chewing them, if the macros and nutrients are equal?

Regardless, I’m continuing with the shakes. I did drop the dough on them, after all :slight_smile:

VDiet Day 16

Today was the biggest struggle, and I’m disappointed to admit that my will did not stand up to the challenge. Work was very difficult and annoying, and I ended up “treating” myself to some chocolate, a clementine and a bag of Smartfood popcorn.

While not the worst snack choices, my lesson here is I do have an emotional eating problem, because this treat was in reaction to people-induced stress. And due to the busy-ness of the day, I wasn’t able to get away for a walk (which may have prevented me from wanting to eat).

So, maybe I work out a little harder today, have a light dinner and trim off half a shake from the end of the day. Tomorrow is another day.

Vdiet day 17

Today I got my fasted morning walk in. I also got a walk in during my lunch hour. On the food front tho, I basically gave up on myself today. The work stressors were still present, and I was overly permissive with just grabbing some of that office candy. And a cookie. And snack bag of Cheetos.

Gotta just knuckle down on that. Maybe I’ll try juju’s gum trick. In an attempt to offset, not having the pre bedtime shake tonight. I’m not even hungry for it.

[quote]emilyb wrote:
Vdiet day 17

Today I got my fasted morning walk in. I also got a walk in during my lunch hour. On the food front tho, I basically gave up on myself today. The work stressors were still present, and I was overly permissive with just grabbing some of that office candy. And a cookie. And snack bag of Cheetos.

Gotta just knuckle down on that. Maybe I’ll try juju’s gum trick. In an attempt to offset, not having the pre bedtime shake tonight. I’m not even hungry for it.[/quote]

You’re human. Don’t beat yourself up!

I can already see a difference. Keep going

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Day 18

Got my morning walk in and planning a workout tonight. Today I’m going to focus on managing temptation and keep my eyes on the prize. I did fine for the first two weeks, I can do it for the next week and a half!

V Diet Day 19

Made the mistake of checking my weight. 170.6 lbs. Which means I’ve basically gained back a pound and a half since my low weight last week.

That’s extremely discouraging. Yes, I had some food slip ups, but I maintained a deficit, stayed active (even worked out extra some days), got in my fasted walks plus some… Math says I should have lost SOMETHING.

I’m holding out hope that my measurements at the end of this show some change from my midpoint numbers, because it’s definitely not coming off the scale.

I can lose nothing while eating solid food. :frowning:

Great log and awesome results so far! Your evening meals look delicious. You got this!!

I’ve starting thinking/planning ahead to what life will look like once the VDiet is over. I use a food logging site basically daily (even though lately, every day is exactly the same almost). I did some trial runs of throwing together meals and snacks that I’m looking forward to eating in a sustainable way, like what a typical lunch will look like, a typical breakfast.

An interesting thing I noticed is I’m not including fruit all over the place. It used to be I’d have fruit constantly; some kind of fruit with breakfast, fruit with lunch, a piece of fruit for a snack. High sugar fruits too, like bananas, mangos and grapes. That I left those out of my expectations for my future eating habits is kind of revealing to me… Maybe my reliance on fruit sugars was what was causing me to slowly gain weight over the past half year or so.

It’s also looking like my preferred foods follow a basic paleo template, though not purposefully. I’m not, like, piling on avocados and coconut oil, and deliberately avoiding legumes and dairy for the sake of being paleo. I do leave them out because I’ve noticed digestive issues when I have beans and dairy.

Food for thought.

VDiet Day 20

Sooooo I think my digital scale has been fucking with me. Today I weighed in both before AND after going “#2”, and it gave me the same read out. /Oh no you didn’t/. So I picked it up and shook it around a bit to “reset” things, and then it gave me a much lower number than I’ve been seeing all week, several times in a row.

I never trust the first number that scale gives me. I need to see it read the same number at least twice before I believe it.

So I’m down to 168.6! In spite of basically daily snacking screwups this week, I knew my actual intake should have produced some kind of loss. I was starting to go crazy, and it was probably my scale being crap the whole time.

Also, I’ve found it’s much easier to not want to snack on things when 1) snacks aren’t present, and 2) I’m actively busy and moving around, doing things. Neither conditions are really met at work, where there is just food out for grabbing everywhere and I’m stuck at a desk. Feels good to be out in the sun doing lawn work! I’m craving ice water, not chocolate :slight_smile:

Dinner tonight was a pile of roasted brussels sprouts and leftover rotisserie chicken, with a mango as dessert. I was super pleased to see Chris S confirm in the support forum that fruit was allowed as part of the HSM, and even MORE pleased that these mangoes I bought literally 3 weeks ago were perfectly ripe in my fridge. Yum!

V Diet Day 21 - 3 weeks down! (And another half a pound!)

I went to the local farmers market today; I had a shake before I left. Regardless, I sampled some awesome local organic cheeses and bought a bit. Grabbed some locally raised, grass-fed and/or free-range farm animals for dinners during the next week as well as some vegetable seedlings to plant. Dutifully avoided the plethora of food trucks, and left before I ended up feeling too hungry.

Next stop: Lowes hardware superstore! I had them cut me down some lumber to make raised garden beds, and bought a carload of garden soil.

I loaded and unloaded 12 40lb bags of dirt TWICE, same for 2 planks of 2-10-16’ wood (cut into 4’ lengths). I pushed that whole mass from one end of Lowes to the other, basically the length of a soccer field. QUITE A WORKOUT. I’m also digging up 8 sq. feet of overgrown garden brush, because it’s occupying prime gardening real estate in my yard.

Let’s hear it for functional strength, hollaaaa.

As a result of all this hard work, I’ll probably skip V-Burn today. But I’ll see how I feel after dinner tonight. Planning on going out for Mexican. Looking forward to some carne asada :slight_smile:

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.