Biotest

Elk's V-Diet - DAY 1!

DAY 1: 090309

Last week I got it in my head that I’d like to try out this program because I’m ready for a change, and a swift one. I’m in pretty decent shape already - I have an athletic build and am fairly muscular, but I could definitely have a lower body fat percentage. And I’m always striving for something more.

I also may do a triathlon in the summer as well as get back into rowing (crew) competitively. So my primary goals with trying this diet are that I’d like to get a more “ripped” look and lower my body fat, and get stronger (and hopefully continue good habits!). I can usually slim down on my own if I really focus, but then my eating habits slip. For instance, I went on a trip to South America this past January and was down to 125 and looking pretty good but when I returned to the states I gained some weight.

As a side note, I LOVE microbrew beers and wine … and liquor … haha … so … what I’d ultimately like to do is find a way to balance the fact I really enjoy good booze but also want to keep a healthy lifestyle. After all, we only live once. If I were to get hit by a bus tomorrow I would be none to happy if I had shut out specialty beers from my life permanently! You have to live a little even if you love fitness.

Ok so here we go:

Measurements (I’m not sure if I did these exactly right so if anyone sees a weird looking number give me a shout out).

Height: 5’4 3/4"
Weight: 132.6 lbs
Body fat %: 28% (approximately - I’m just using a scale with this one and I know those have a fairly large margin for error so I’m just noting it for whatever it’s worth).
Neck: 12.5"
Shoulders: 36"
Upper chest: 33"
Lower chest: 31.25"
Bust: 33.25"
Waist at navel: 28.5"
Waist at largest: 32"
Hips at largest: 37.25"
Upper arm (L): 11.25" (measured at fullest part - kind of mid-way)
Upper arm ®: 11.25"
Upper leg (L): 22.5" (measured at fullest part)
Upper leg ®: 22.5"
Lower leg (L): 16.25"
Lower leg ®: 16"
Ankle (L): 8.75"
Ankle ®: 8.75"
I also decided to measure the fullest part of my calves:
Calf (L): 14.5"
Calf ®: 14.25"

I took before and after pictures but I don’t think I’m going to post them on here - I do however have them for reference. Perhaps after this is all said and done I’ll share that part.

DAY 1 COMMENTS:

This first day has been kind of tough for me. Starting on a Monday and full day of work made it pretty hard to concentrate when I started to get really hungry in the middle of the day. I was so hungry (or perhaps craving sugar - I’ve been told can be similar to hunger) that I was in some pain. But after I got out of the office I was feeling better. Plus it was nice to get some fresh air.

I did the first day’s workout today - I picked the intermediate plan and the first workout was pretty easy for me. I need to get some heavier weights. I only have 20lb dumbbells which definitely weren’t enough for the bench press. And I did 45lb (barbell) for the front squats and that was also somewhat too light.

The chin-ups weren’t bad either - I could almost do them full out - I had to do a little kipping to get my weight up on some of them. I tried not to sub in any jump-assist (which is what I have to do when I do a lot of pull-ups in workouts). The ab roller wasn’t too bad … I could do a full extension out until I hit around 13 … then I started to feel it in my upper abs so I wasn’t rolling out quite so far. Guessing that will probably get a little sore in the next couple days. For all of these I tried to find weight that I’d do about 4-5 reps of and then start feeling some muscle fatigue … guess I got stronger and need some heavier weights though!

Are most of you out there going with that pure “nut butter” that is just peanuts and salt? I’m not really digging the taste of that either. I’ll probably just toss it in this last shake I need to drink tonight (I know a lot of people have said they eat it separately). I had a LOT of trouble downing the entire morning shake too … it was just very thick and I’m not a huge fan of flaxseed (the texture of it in a shake). I think I need to switch up the flavor of the shake every day or …?

One of my main issues when doing higher protein diets is actually getting all if it consumed. Even if I’m hungry I have to force myself sometimes. I’m just trying to avoid all thoughts of real food for now because I’d kill someone for some homemade mac & cheese right about now. :wink: (Guess perhaps I was more addicted to that kind of food than I thought!). We’ll see how it all goes on Day 2!

Oh - add to this I am a female - but you can probably guess that from the measurements.

Good luck! I was confused at first too…I know some dudes that have a bigger bust than most women.

Just power down those shakes and keep thinking of the tight body at the end. This diet has a very low rate of failure for those of us who regularly post…so keep at it!

DAY 2: 090310

On to day 2. I woke up feeling not-so-hot. My muscles (or rather whole body) felt fatigued in a way that you might feel when you haven’t eaten for a while. Which is weird. I also did not consume the last shake and peanut butter last night though. Just couldn’t do it. Yeah … I know that’s probably a bad thing. My stomach just wasn’t having it and mentally I couldn’t make myself drink another shake. I did have the Surge after my workout though … so I got some calories, etc. from that, but that really upset my stomach so I’m not sure about doing that again.

Maybe I could try just one scoop instead of 2 next time. I’m sometimes sensitive to supplements so I’m just going to see how it goes. Everything else besides the Surge has been fine.

I still can’t get down the whole morning shake before I leave for work either. So I’m finishing it up right now in between my 2nd and 3rd meal shakes. I can barely keep my eyes open and can’t concentrate. But I’m guessing this will all go away in a few days … right?? Hunger isn’t quite so bad today but it’s still there. But hey, no pain no gain. No one said it’s easy.

I’m more sore from yesterday’s workout than I thought I’d be too! But soreness is good it means I got something out of it. Today is just NEPA activity … I’ll have to try to get it in right after work before my evening plans.

Over and out. Oh and phatkins187 - thanks for the encouragement! I’m anxious to see how I feel a few days from now. Hopefully it will get easier.

DAY 3: 090311

Day 3 - not too bad. It’s getting easier. Other than the fact I’m really freaking tired and still somewhat non-energetic (but keep in mind I’m not taking any stimulants) … it’s cool. Except I’m still having trouble actually consuming ALL the shakes! My appetite has pretty much vanished - and I’m not really having any cravings. If anything it’s for regular healthy stuff like … randomly enough, broccoli and various meats. I get hungry during a stretch at work from about 2 - 5pm … but then I leave and surprisingly in the evenings I have to really push myself to consume the last two shakes. And even the peanut butter! What’s wrong with me! :wink:

Did workout 2 today (doing the intermediate level) - I’m pretty sore from workout 1 which I did Monday … so that probably affected my loads a little.

I also only drank 1 scoop of Surge instead of 2 … didn’t have the upset stomach I got before.

If anyone reads this and knows … is it bad to drink one scoop of Surge before and then the other half after a workout or?

I do one scoop of Surge during my workout and another afterwards. I think it’s fine. It’s usually recommended as peri and post workout nutrition, so I don’t see why that would apply differently for those of us on the V-Diet.

also, yes, you should start feeling better soon. i had a headache and some nausea days 2 & 3. i also had trouble getting the shakes down the second half of the first week. i find that blending the ones with the flax meal with ice helps with the consistency. my mind equates the little “chunks” with ice rather than flax and it goes down much easier. hang in there and it will get better! we’re all in this together :slight_smile:

haha YEAH i hear you on that flaxseed stuff!! you know what i figured out? my initial flaxseed shake was with chocolate - NEVER will i do that again!! if you use the strawberry flavor (at least this works for me mentally) i equate the flaxseed to a smoothie with some strawberry seeds! because lots of smoothies have that kind of consistency.

how far along on the diet are you and how are things progressing? you getting results?

yep, i choose to use strawberry and strawberry/banana in my shakes with the flax meal. i too equate the flax with strawberry seeds and it makes it sooooo much easier! funny how our minds play tricks on us!

i am on day 12. (see thread 28 Days & Later)
yes, i had good results on my week 1 weigh in & measurements. i am feeling good during week 2, i weigh and measure again in 2 days so check in for results!

Hi, I started on March 9th too! Good luck and hang in there.

Are you using milled flax seed (ground up)? You should be!

Check out Chris Shugart’s response here toward the bottom:

Best of luck with the seeds :slight_smile:

Hey Elk!
try adding more water to shake if it is too thick, also are you taking HotRoxx? If so do you think they are helping with the energy?

I’ve leaned my diet the last week and will start the VDiet this coming Monday.
I have been taking the Hotroxx, yea I know eating food too, however I can hardly drink 1/2 a cup of coffee without it sending me through the roof…

GL

I’m rooting for ya!

P.S.- great idea ShortSquat RE: strawberry and banana mix, I gotta try it…

DAY 5 and DAY 6: 090313/090314

I just posted about this in another person’s thread that is having similar issues to me …

Basically, this past Thursday (Day 4 for me, I’m now on Day 6) I really started to have issues. I can’t finish the shakes quickly because my stomach gets full, and I woke up on day 4 feeling like I was literally going to die. VERY light headed, went to work, thought I was going to pass out. I didn’t think this was normal.

I consulted someone I know that’s a trainer that has very proficient knowledge about all sorts of things related to diet and exercise … his take on it was (this is without fully reading the information about the V-diet) that each person seems to thrive on a different macro nutrient percentage. The zone diet seems to be the most generic that works for almost everyone and it is 40% carbs (avg. American diet is 70% carb). He said this diet is probably at less than 20% carbs. And his consensus was that I may be one of those people that are sensitive to being on such a low carb diet. I haven’t been taking HOT-ROX either (didn’t order it) because I’m EXTREMELY sensitive to caffeine … even when I drink coffee I have to really watch my intake and don’t drink it more than 1 or 2 times a week.

I remember one other time I tried to do something like this a few years ago I started having real difficulties around the same time and I had to stop.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do about the V-Diet now. Today I’m re-evaluating. I REALLY want my eating habits to be cleaned up and even this first handful of days has been good to put what I’ve been eating into perspective for me. Maybe I can follow it mostly but I think I’ll have to sub in some fruit or non-starchy vegetables or something. Basically I’m writing down the counts of all the ingredients for my shakes today and I’m going to try to sub in some fruit today and see if that helps how I feel. I mean I am completely out of it right now … 100% spaced out … can’t think … no energy. I HATE how this is making me feel in that I’m so muscularly fatigued that I can barely do the pretty low key workouts that go along with this thing. And I don’t like that I can’t do my normal workouts at all. Nor do I even have energy for NEPA. So all of that equates to me that my body isn’t responding well to this.

And honestly, maybe this isn’t the right diet for me. I wanted to do it now because soon I have to start training for a triathlon (and I know you can’t do that kind of training when following this diet). so maybe I need to find something that follows similar principles but allows me the energy I need to do the tasks I need to complete …

If anyone has any advice let me know! I’m actually pretty disappointed with myself. But this diet, for me, is not about my ability/willpower to follow through with it. My mind is there … doesn’t seem like my body is cooperating. I think there is a certain point when you have to realize if how you feel is mental or how you feel is beyond the mental challenge and there is really something else going on … I don’t think I should be sitting here feeling like my hands are numb and that my body is floating … you know?? I don’t think that’s mental I think that’s more of an extreme physical reaction. Or am I wrong?? If anyone out there disagrees and thinks I just need a kick in the ass … please feel free to tell me!

Wow, lotz of stuff here…
OK, 1st of all I am NOT one of the coaches , however I see a couple things that might help here…

Only YOU know if you are whimping out or not.
Most guys will tell you to suck it up, most gals would say stop putting yourself through this. But YOU know yourself better than us all.
If you think there is something major wrong have a dr check it out.

A few months back I was on the 4th day of a fast, felt sick/did get sick , sucked it up and the next morning had my appendix taken out ! what a lazy way to get out of it huh!! LOL…
if it’s not that bad with you then you can add a piece of fruit on non-WO days and 2 on (WO) workout days (I would have a banana, potasium, and an orange (citrus a little lower on GI . It might slow down the progress but you’ll have more energy, which will, hopefully, equal more intensity in your workouts.

YUP real low carb! If you aren’t used to it you’ll feel dragging, I did 1 year of atkins, worked well but no energy and I gained a bunch of it back. :(… I’ve been better last 2 years though, eating healthy and working out has me down 70 lbs!!

DRINKING!! ?
Microbrews’ll make you fat!! :slight_smile: If you drank nightly before this and aren’t drinking now then your body may be cleansing which could account for not feeling well so maybe just push on through. (I had to cut back seriously on drinking to make any progress!
If you are still drinking while on this then that can demotivate you and will sabotage this diet.

However you go, remember this is YOUR decision. there are a lot of things that’ll get you where you want to get, you just need to choose how fast you get there and how much effort you are willing to invest.

I hope you found something here that’ll help. Good luck!
We’re all rooting for you!!!

[quote]elk1121 wrote:
DAY 5 and DAY 6: 090313/090314

I just posted about this in another person’s thread that is having similar issues to me …

Basically, this past Thursday (Day 4 for me, I’m now on Day 6) I really started to have issues. I can’t finish the shakes quickly because my stomach gets full, and I woke up on day 4 feeling like I was literally going to die. VERY light headed, went to work, thought I was going to pass out. I didn’t think this was normal.

I consulted someone I know that’s a trainer that has very proficient knowledge about all sorts of things related to diet and exercise … his take on it was (this is without fully reading the information about the V-diet) that each person seems to thrive on a different macro nutrient percentage. The zone diet seems to be the most generic that works for almost everyone and it is 40% carbs (avg. American diet is 70% carb). He said this diet is probably at less than 20% carbs. And his consensus was that I may be one of those people that are sensitive to being on such a low carb diet. I haven’t been taking HOT-ROX either (didn’t order it) because I’m EXTREMELY sensitive to caffeine … even when I drink coffee I have to really watch my intake and don’t drink it more than 1 or 2 times a week.

I remember one other time I tried to do something like this a few years ago I started having real difficulties around the same time and I had to stop.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do about the V-Diet now. Today I’m re-evaluating. I REALLY want my eating habits to be cleaned up and even this first handful of days has been good to put what I’ve been eating into perspective for me. Maybe I can follow it mostly but I think I’ll have to sub in some fruit or non-starchy vegetables or something. Basically I’m writing down the counts of all the ingredients for my shakes today and I’m going to try to sub in some fruit today and see if that helps how I feel. I mean I am completely out of it right now … 100% spaced out … can’t think … no energy. I HATE how this is making me feel in that I’m so muscularly fatigued that I can barely do the pretty low key workouts that go along with this thing. And I don’t like that I can’t do my normal workouts at all. Nor do I even have energy for NEPA. So all of that equates to me that my body isn’t responding well to this.

And honestly, maybe this isn’t the right diet for me. I wanted to do it now because soon I have to start training for a triathlon (and I know you can’t do that kind of training when following this diet). so maybe I need to find something that follows similar principles but allows me the energy I need to do the tasks I need to complete …

If anyone has any advice let me know! I’m actually pretty disappointed with myself. But this diet, for me, is not about my ability/willpower to follow through with it. My mind is there … doesn’t seem like my body is cooperating. I think there is a certain point when you have to realize if how you feel is mental or how you feel is beyond the mental challenge and there is really something else going on … I don’t think I should be sitting here feeling like my hands are numb and that my body is floating … you know?? I don’t think that’s mental I think that’s more of an extreme physical reaction. Or am I wrong?? If anyone out there disagrees and thinks I just need a kick in the ass … please feel free to tell me![/quote]

Have you made any decisions? Feeling any better? I’m just starting day 4 and yesterday I was feeling about like your post, but it comes and goes for me. Oddly enough, staying active seems to help. Do you have anyone you are going through this with? That seems to be a huge help for me…if nothing else, there are plenty of people on this forum!

Hey thanks durr …

And to answer your question tpodgorak, I think I’ve decided I can’t do it full out how it’s prescribed … so yesterday for instance I added in some carbs to see how many grams per day I needed before I stopped feeling spacey. Seemed to be around 100 although I think I could do less than that and be ok maybe after more adjustment? By the time I got to that number though I was feeling better (best I’ve felt in a week actually).

I’m no rocket scientist, but I’m pretty sure someone told me that the best way to do like a … 40% carbs … or … maybe closer to a 30% fat/30% carb/40% protein ratio, was to consume about your body weight in protein, about your weight (although hopefully less) in carbs, and no more than 1/2 your weight in fat. maybe i will need to follow something more like that, compared to less than 20% carbs.

i mean, i’m not overweight at ALL, i just would like to drop about 5 pounds and i want to be more toned. i want to be a lot more toned. and stronger. i’m a crossfit junkie (i know a lot of people on T-Nation rag on crossfit) but crossfit is a different kind of focus compared to bodybuilding type goals. i do a lot of sports and love to be active, not necessarily just look good, although both are great. and i don’t think an athlete can follow such a low-carb diet probably. without having issues or not having enough energy to hit their goals.

so … i don’t know. i’m not sure how to incorporate the shakes and stuff into something a little more carb-friendly, i have to look at it closer. i guess it would be about hitting the right ratio.

LOL and yes I do enjoy microbrews, but I surely do not drink like i did when i was 21 (I’m 29 now). In my normal life (when not trying out a different diet) I maybe drink 2 nights at the MOST. And I don’t drink a ton or anything. 3 or so drinks over the course of a very long evening generally. You only live once so you need to enjoy your life too you know? At least that’s how I look at it.

I’ve found the best results when I kick up my workouts actually … and when I travel!

I always joke I need to just follow the “South America Diet” in that when I’m close to the equator … well it’s hot as hell so I have very little appetite, and there is NO junk food consumption in that type of environment, and also very little consumption of any processed foods. It’s mainly meat and fruit or vegetables and then whatever the particular country’s staple is (rice or beans or whatever else). EVERY time I travel to places like that in a week I drop a minimum of 5 lbs. I mean I got back from Colombia in January and I was looking REALLY slimmed down and toned! And that is usually a time when I can’t work out at all and I’m drinking way more than the norm. So I’m not sure what happens with that!! But I need to figure out how to do that here minus the excessive drinking part! Because then you also have a good time as well and you’re enjoying life you know? Not worrying about getting that next thick shake down!

Hmmm …

Hey Elk just wonderin how you’re doing.

I guess all I can say from a fellow Vdieter standpoint (and certainly not someone with any credentials about diet and training)…is that if you really want something, I mean really really want it to happen, you’ll do whatEVER it takes. Even if it makes you feel like you arent enjoying life for a little while. Yeah I felt like I had the damn flu and didnt even want to get out of bed for the first 4 days or so.

But I think Durr is right, your body is full of toxic junk, especially if you have a habit of drinking on a regular basis. Even the bit that you drink is regular (you’re not an alcoholic, just saying you do drink regularly…not downright drunk every night of the week). But even without drinking, it’s pretty easy to fill up our bodies with bad stuff.

Sometimes when you take extreme measures to make a physical change in your body, you’ll feel the extremity and it will be a rough ride till your body goes Oh…you know what, Im NOT supposed to be soaking in this toxicity all the time…THIS is better. And then it works itself out.

Also, giving up something you love like microbreweries temporarily to obtain a goal gives the journey to that goal some actual meaning. Gives you a stronger backbone mentally to handle more challenges down the road. You can then reach for even loftier goals, because you will see that you do have it in you to give up something in order to get something else you want more. You might even figure out how to enjoy life anyway, in different ways, regardless of what you are giving up.

I guess it boils down to what do you want more? Just to have a good time all your life by what you think right now is what gives you happiness? Or to give yourself something else that you might thoroughly enjoy that might make you enjoy life even more? You said you wanted a swift change, but maybe that change isnt those 5 pounds. Maybe it’s something else.

Dont baby yourself. Dont tell yourself you have to enjoy life so this or that is ok. Dont indulge just for the sake of having a grand old time…when you’ve got something better to reach for. What I mean is…don’t settle. Dont settle just to “enjoy life” because in the end, you wont have enjoyed it to its fullest extent that you are capable of. If you had said you were totally happy wit the way you are now, and enjoy life just the way it is, then none of this applies. But you said you wanted a change.

Since Im a little foggy-headed right now after 6 days of this shake business. I might not be conveying what I mean very well so sorry if Im not making sense.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.