Biotest

Eat Muffins. Avoid Muffintop

[center]Have Muffins, Not Muffintop [/center]
[center] [/center]
How’s this for irony? According to Biosignature Modulation testing, women who have “muffintops” – fat storage mainly around the waist – are almost guaranteed to be pre-diabetic.

[center] [/center]
To put a stop to it, they need to adopt a low-carb diet and ditch the flour and sugar-filled drinks and foods.

In other words, ditch the muffins and you’ll ditch the muffintop. (And guys, we’re not off the hook either. We just call our muffintops “spare tires.”)

Or you can just ditch the flour and sugar and make your muffins like I make mine. File this recipe under “things you thought you’d never be able to eat again after you decided to stop being a fatty.”

[center]Low-Carb Muffins [/center]
[center] [/center]
The Stuff

2 cups of almond flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) pasture butter
4 eggs, omega-3 enriched (such as Eggland’s Best)
1/3 to 1/2 cup Splenda
1/3 cup water
Pam or coconut oil spray

Yield: About 12 average-sized muffins

How to Make the Stuff

1. Preheat the oven to 350.

2. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Mix the wet ingredients together. Now mix them both together using a hand mixer.

3. Pour into a Pam or coconut-oil sprayed muffin pan. Remember to leave a little room for them to rise.

4. Bake for about 15 minutes.

Variations and Additions

Okay, that was the plain jane recipe above; this is where it gets fun (and tasty.) Options:

• Add nuts to the batter or to the top.

• Add a tablespoon or two of unsweetened cocoa powder.

• Add a serving of <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/productInfo.do?id=1900223"target=“new”>Superfood.

• Stir a little sugar-free fruit preserves into the batter. (I like apricot.)

• Add a scoop or two of PB2 (a powdered peanut butter that has 85% fewer calories than regular.)

Note: I ran out of omega-3 butter the other day but had everything else I needed to make these muffins. I subbed in a couple of tablespoons of virgin coconut oil. Worked perfectly.

Enjoy your muffins; avoid muffintop. – Chris

I shouldn’t have read this. I’m at work for another six hours and then hitting the gym. But now, I just want to go home and make muffins. I’ve tried a couple batches of almond flour muffins and they’ve been incredible. It wasn’t until this post, though, that I considered the orange variation.

A few weeks ago, my mom bought these orange “cookies” (more like really small scones) that had this orange frosting on them. I’ll admit to eating quite a few and then I realized that the actual cookie wasn’t so great, but just the frosting.

So now I’m thinking that orange almond flour muffins plus that cream cheese dipping sauce you posted in the livespill last weekend will be the perfect team.

Chris, you live in Texas, right? Where do you get your coconut oil spray?

I’ve seen it at Sprouts farmer’s market if you have one near you, no clue how big of a chain it is. Central Market or Whole Foods maybe?

[quote]byukid wrote:
Chris, you live in Texas, right? Where do you get your coconut oil spray?[/quote]

I get it a health food store that’s part of (I think) an independently owned pharmacy/Walgreens type of place. You can probably buy it online though. About $5 a can for the higher-end Spectrum brand.

I just got some PB2 yesterday. That stuff is awesome. I’ve put it in every single protein shake and I’m going to make some peanut butter v-life cookies. You’re an evil mastermind.

Chris, this FFItalianB wants you to figure out how to make almond flour pasta. Go!

http://www.ehow.com/how_2041354_pasta-scratch.html <-- alexC1 give that a shot but change it up to almond flour and bean flour.

[quote]AlexC1 wrote:
Chris, this FFItalianB wants you to figure out how to make almond flour pasta. Go![/quote]

Geez, I’m only human!

But, that’s a pretty cool idea. Hmmm…

I figure the hard part will be getting it to stick together, especially when boiling it. But maybe cover it in homemade sauce and bake it instead? Just kickin around some ideas…

FYI: Here they are with Superfood added, plus a few drops of banana flavored extract.

I used paper cupcake cups for this batch. Great for portability since you can just chuck the wrappers. But the red ones you see in the article are better. Go silicone if you can.

One more note: I use a medium-sized muffin pan. The size refers to the size of the “cup.”

You can get mini all the way to extra large, just keep in mind that the bigger your cups, the longer the cooking time may need to be, and vice-versa.

Note to self: Be more careful pouring in the batter. This is a sloppy-assed batch!

Recipe + tablespoon extract + your dipping sauce recipe

Needless to say, they’re already almost gone.

Tablespoon orange extract! Sorry, my mind is elsewhere. Like the four remaining orange almond muffins nearby.

[quote]BrickCallahan wrote:
Recipe + tablespoon extract + your dipping sauce recipe

Needless to say, they’re already almost gone.[/quote]

Nice!

Coming next week I put that dipping sauce to work: pumpkin cake, with icing.

Best. Dessert. Yet.

Stay tuned.

Dipping sauce recipe? Did I miss that one?

[quote]Weevo wrote:
Dipping sauce recipe? Did I miss that one?[/quote]

It was part of a <a href="http://velocity.t-nation.com/strength-training-blog/chris-shugart"target=“new”>LiveSpill discussion.

Recipe coming soon.

I made a batch without splenda and added 2 scoops of chocolate MD. they came out a little dry so maybe i needed a bit more water. still epic though.

Added canned pumpkin and walnuts + pumpkin pie spice blend

And the reveal…

Edit: Adding a few big spoonfuls of pumpkin required extra cooking time, 5 to 10 minutes on top of what’s written in the recipe.