Biotest

Draco's V-Diet Log

Hi All,

Started the V-Diet today. So far, so good. :wink:

I was actually doing really well with following PN late last year, and did a short stint on Joel Marion’s Cheat To Lose diet earlier in 2008, but I ran into some issues.

I got injured several times in my martial arts training, hyper-extended my left thumb twice, did the same to that wrist, and later on got a badly sprained ankle and broke my right big toe on the same foot shortly thereafter (still recovering from the toe).

And that wasn’t the worst of it.

A little before I busted my toe, I was diagnosed with varicoceles, which is essentially varicose veins inside the scrotum. Except that, in true Draco tradition, just couldn’t have been the normal varicoceles. No, mine was the uncommon kind, the bilateral variant with the worst part on the right side. The varicoceles hurt, not badly, but enough to distract me and cause much worrying.

At the same time, I was diagnosed with low Testosterone, ve.ry low for my age. That was in March 2008. I kinda lost control after that and got really depressed. I slowed my training down a lot and began eating like crap, again.

To make a long story a little less long, I packed back on all the weight I had lost in 2007, plus a little more. Except now I’m fighting the low T and all the accompanying symptoms.

Well, one way to assist in getting the T back up is to drop the excess body fat that I am sick of carrying around. I figure that to shock myself out of this funk, I need to do something a little crazy, something that’ll shake my life up some, and maybe, just maybe help me get leaner.

Hence, the V-Diet.

I’m following the basic plan, plus throwing in TRIBEX Gold, ZMA, some extra non-Biotest BCAAs I had laying around, and a dedication I haven’t had before.

So, I’ll post here when I have some brilliant flashes of insight, or when something needs to be said.

First thing I wanna say is that I picked up both flax seeds and chia seeds and I’ve been using both today. I can say that the chia seeds add a nice texture to the shakes and since they have a good omega3 to omega6 ratio (3:1), they should fit right in.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to say that beginning weight is 222 lbs. I’ll post my measurements before the weekend.

sounds exciting! i’m wrapping up day 3 myself.
best of luck, and make sure to keep us updated!
dan

Keep us posted, RD. Also, make sure those BCAAs are non-caloric. If so, then they’re fine. Last, chia seeds looks great on paper, so let us know how they work out. A little pricey compared to flax might be the only gripe.

[quote]LiarPantsOnFire wrote:
sounds exciting! i’m wrapping up day 3 myself.
best of luck, and make sure to keep us updated!
dan[/quote]

Thanks Dan. I’ll be posting more, to be sure.

In fact, here’s the stats on the chia seeds I got:

Greens+ Omega3 Chia Seed
Serving size: 1 scoop (15g)
Fat: 4.9g (Omega3: 3.1g, Omega6: 1g)
Carbs: 6.6g
Fiber: 4.2g
Protein: 2.5g

They actually smell very good, too, and impart a nice flavor to the vanilla Metabolic Drive.

Metabolic Drive Complete has only 15 servings.
What is the recommended daily number of servings?
The Velocity Diet has been recommended, with this as the supplement.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Keep us posted, RD. Also, make sure those BCAAs are non-caloric. If so, then they’re fine. Last, chia seeds looks great on paper, so let us know how they work out. A little pricey compared to flax might be the only gripe.[/quote]

Will do, Chris. Yeah, the BCAAs are ON’s BCAA caps, that came free with a couple tubs of protein I bought before. No cals.

The chia seeds were more expensive than the flax, definitely. I was just curious about them. I think they cost $14-16 at Natural Grocers (used to be be called Vitamin Cottage) for 1 lb, retail is $20.

[quote]rupzip wrote:
Metabolic Drive Complete has only 15 servings.
What is the recommended daily number of servings?
The Velocity Diet has been recommended, with this as the supplement.[/quote]

Metabolic Drive Complete isn’t listed for the V-Diet, Low-Carb Metabolic Drive is (Metabolic Drive Super Protein Shake is the full name, I guess); it used to be called Low-Carb Grow! but people refer to it as Low-Carb Metabolic Drive.

Low-Carb Metabolic Drive has 31 scoops, with 20g of protein per scoop. So, if, when calculating your needs, you need 10 scoops per day, one tub will last you ~3 days. Go back and read the stickied posts in the Velocity Diet forum, it’ll explain everything.

Ok, so I just did my first workout on the V-Diet. Ugh. Oh, gods . . .

So, I’m a kettlebell user (hate me if you will), and here’s what I did.

15 Squats w/ 35lb KB
1 min rest
15 Push Presses w/ 35lb KB, left, then right
1 min rest
15 single arm rows 2 35lb KB, left, then right
1 min rest
15 lunges, no weight, alternating
15 mountain climbers, alternating (total of 30, then)
1 min rest
repeat x2

I had to go down to a 18lb bell for the rows on the second round and stayed with it for the remainder of the work. I’ve never had to do that.

After the squats on the third round, I started to get pukey and dizzy, so I decided that was enough.

Right now my legs are rubbery and I almost threw up, so not a bad first day. Slammed a serving of Surge afterwards.

Tomorrow: walking in the nice, cool air of the early morning.

Draco,
try sipping your Surge during the workout… try sipping about half of it and then after the workout, slam down the other half…

i find that when i’m as carb-depleted as i am on the V-Diet, i can’t do much resistance training unless i’m sipping on Surge during it…

dan

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Keep us posted, RD. Also, make sure those BCAAs are non-caloric. If so, then they’re fine. Last, chia seeds looks great on paper, so let us know how they work out. A little pricey compared to flax might be the only gripe.

[/quote]

Coach, how do you determine calorie free BCAA’s? I use Scivation Xtend, and it lists no calories, but I always assumed all BCAA’s had a caloric value since they are, after all, amino acids.

Thanks

[quote]LiarPantsOnFire wrote:
Draco,
try sipping your Surge during the workout… try sipping about half of it and then after the workout, slam down the other half…

i find that when i’m as carb-depleted as i am on the V-Diet, i can’t do much resistance training unless i’m sipping on Surge during it…

dan[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve tried that, but Surge makes my mouth feel gummed up and I have to drink water after every sip. So, I tend to drink about a 3rd first, then slam the rest after, and just sip water throughout the session.

[quote]Fidelitas626 wrote:
Coach, how do you determine calorie free BCAA’s? I use Scivation Xtend, and it lists no calories, but I always assumed all BCAA’s had a caloric value since they are, after all, amino acids.

Thanks[/quote]

I think Chris was just warning against any BCAA product that may have added sugars or something like that.

Heh. Due to the fatigue caused by the training last night, and the sleep-enhancing effects of ZMA, I slept right through my alarm, so I missed my morning walk. I’ll just do it tonight, in the late evening.

I also forgot to mention that I’m also taking Superfood, one scoop in my first AM shake.

Just completed my first NEPA walk. Did about 40 minutes before my legs said “no more.” Actually, I’m sweating more than I expected.

At the 5 minute mark I really felt the blood pumping into the legs and it felt pretty good, and didn’t change until about the 30 minute mark, where I started feeling some fatigue. By the time I got back home my legs were feeling pretty worn down and I was limping slightly on the right side, because of the sore big toe.

I may have pushed it a bit too much this time around, but I’ll wait to see how I feel tomorrow morning.

Getting ready to drink the last shake of the day.

Rock on Draco…you’re done with 2 days!

I slept a little over 9 hours last night. I actually took today and Friday off from work, so getting the extra sleep was awesome.

Legs are certainly sore, so I may do some foam rolling today.

[quote]Kristen518 wrote:
Rock on Draco…you’re done with 2 days![/quote]

Thanks Kristen. It was a good beginning, and I have no doubt I’ll complete the remaining 26 days.

Ok, Saturday was my first HSM. I went to Qdoba (dun dun dunnnn!) and got a “naked” taco salad. Basically, just a bed of lettuce, a bunch of chicken (I got a double serving of chicken), a sprinkle of cheese and some medium salsa. No rice and no shell, and only about a tablespoon of black beans (you know, for the fiber :winkwink:).

Tasted damn good. Maybe I’ll do the same next Saturday. :slight_smile:

About 15-20 mins after eating, I felt a rush of energy and I definitely felt the thermogenic effect of the food. My temperature rose and I got a little sweaty.

2nd workout (@5:00) was similar to the first, but I felt much stronger, and I was able to power through in the spots that were tougher in the first session.

Hey Draco, the 2nd week of workouts were harder than the first, imho, but after that, I really looked forward to them, in a sick, wacko kind of way. By the time I was finally used to them, they were over!

Keep on keepin’ on! You’re doing great!