Biotest

Doubled-over in Gastrointestinal Pain

Okay, this morning, the first shake with flax made me very gassy and uncomfortable. The second shake by itself gave me no problems. The third shake, with flax again, has had me doubled over in agony. I just finally ejected some of the gas, but I’m still in a lot of pain.

Any idea what’s going on?

If this happens tomorrow, I’m out. I can’t afford to have this happen while I’m at work.

I’d theorize it’s toxins shifting from the fat that’s being burned. It happened to me the first time around, I just did my best to ignore it (not easy, I know).

Just what I think BTW, I might be wrong.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
I’d theorize it’s toxins shifting from the fat that’s being burned. It happened to me the first time around, I just did my best to ignore it (not easy, I know).

Just what I think BTW, I might be wrong.[/quote]

Really? I can’t imagine this is anything approaching a detox diet - although if my fat is hanging on to shit, does that mean I’ll be stoned/tripping/tweaked from indiscretions in my distant history?

Cool!

Honestly, I think it’s because I had three shakes close together last night. Either that, or it’s the flax.

I’ve had two shakes since writing the OP and haven’t had problems. Then again, no flax in either.

Ha ha! My theory is based on hearing that fat holds toxins in it. Shifting it would logically move the toxins too, and your body doesn’t like it. If the V-Diet could get you stoned, I’m sure there would be a LOT more people doing it!

Keep the fiber up, unless you really dislike pooping lol. If flax doesn’t agree with you at the very least try sugar free metamucil(sp?) or something…

Tried it again with the flax seed and I’m doubled over in pain again…

I think it’s time to stop the flax and maybe pick up some metamucil sugar-free.

Are you talking about flax oil or flax seeds? I’m assuming oil because I can’t imagine seeds causing this issue.

If you are using oil and the issue only occurs when using flax oil, then I’d say the oil was bad. Poliquin said in his last Question of Strength article that most flax oils bought in stores are rancid.

Okay…it happened again this morning.

I think I have to switch to sugar-free Metamucil or something. I’m pretty sure I’ve isolated the variables because it’s no the flavor (has happened with banana and orange), and it’s happened when I didn’t take HRX with it.

The good news is…today is HSM Day!!!

Small New York Strip (grass-fed!), organic tomato, organic baby greens salad with light dressing and one corn on the cob.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Are you talking about flax oil or flax seeds? I’m assuming oil because I can’t imagine seeds causing this issue.

If you are using oil and the issue only occurs when using flax oil, then I’d say the oil was bad. Poliquin said in his last Question of Strength article that most flax oils bought in stores are rancid.[/quote]

Nope, not the oil - flax seeds. They’ve been refrigerated the entire time.

Let’s experiment and see if the switch to Metamucil helps. If I gotta switch out flax to save the diet for me, then so be it.

My shit is smelling foul-beyond-foul on this diet, BTW.

Are the flax seeds milled (ground up?)

Some people find they have to ease into the flax seeds. You may want to switch to salba seeds (chia). These might even be better than flax. Experimenting with them now myself.

Info: http://www.allhealthtrends.com/salba-information.html

Another problem that affects some V-Dieters is the fiber amount. The V-Diet has about 25g, which is the standard minimum daily rec made by docs. BUT, most Americans don’t get that much, more like 15, so fiber might need eased into as well.

is the pain on your right side? my friend had pain that he thought was gas and two days later his appendix ruptured

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Are the flax seeds milled (ground up?)

Some people find they have to ease into the flax seeds. You may want to switch to salba seeds (chia). These might even be better than flax. Experimenting with them now myself.

Info: http://www.allhealthtrends.com/salba-information.html

Another problem that affects some V-Dieters is the fiber amount. The V-Diet has about 25g, which is the standard minimum daily rec made by docs. BUT, most Americans don’t get that much, more like 15, so fiber might need eased into as well.

[/quote]

They’re milled. I have no idea why it started six days after starting though.

Gonna try metamucil for awhile. If I can get my hands on some chia seeds locally, I’ll do that.

[quote]wirewound wrote:
Okay, this morning, the first shake with flax made me very gassy and uncomfortable. The second shake by itself gave me no problems. The third shake, with flax again, has had me doubled over in agony. I just finally ejected some of the gas, but I’m still in a lot of pain.

Any idea what’s going on?

If this happens tomorrow, I’m out. I can’t afford to have this happen while I’m at work.[/quote]

Don’t give up man, I had the EXACT same problem. I believe the stuff is called Benaine HCL. That or papaya enzyme you can get from GNC or wherever worked great. I went from being bloated, unhappy, nauseated, and full, to being full of energy. Shoot me a message if you need more help with this. I felt just like you, DONT GIVE UP!

Read this and I’m sure you will agree. I had almost instantaneous results by taking that. I also picked up some papaya enzymes at GNC (like chewable flinstones vitamins!)both work well and I feel like such a different person. I was soooo bloated and weighed down always felt full. I couldn’t believe anyone would drink water with this diet but now I drink tons! Shoot me a message and let me know what you do.

-Andy

I have the enzymes - it’s not the protein - it’s the flax. When I take the protein without the flax, my gas isn’t as bad.

You could have some sort of gastrointestinal issue like diverticulitis. Just watch it, and as always go to the doc if it persists.

Now that I remember, maybe try some activated charcoal too.

Try some Lactaid tablets (1 or 2) with the shake, then some Gas-X right afterwards. You may be prone to intolerance.

If you are not Northern European in ethnicity, you have a higher tendancy to lactose intolerance.

Good luck!

i had the same pain, discomfort, gas, etc… during the first 2 days of the V-Diet, then it seemed i adapted and it went away. i think it’s a normal outcome initially.

Yeah, I got it on the sixth day. That’s what’s got me worried.

I seem to be handling my HSA just fine, and the small shake last night is not giving me problems. I’ll try a shake this AM sans flax seed and see how it goes.

Akatz, thanks for the advice about the Betaine HCL.

I haven’t tried the shakes with flax again (too afraid they’ll have me in extreme pain again), but the Betaine helps with the ‘normal’ bloating I expect from so many protein shakes.

Also, I wish I’d have bought only Vanilla MD. The shit tastes AMAZING…almost like a real milk shake! I could have just added whatever flavorings I wanted to the vanilla that way.

Oh well, three more tubs of Chocolate, 1.5 of Banana (my previous favorite), and 1.5 of Orange (in addition to the tasty Vanilla) to go…

I had similar issues last time though the pain wasn’t bad there was some discomfort. I started to add psyllium and glycerine and it went away.

Glycerine is basically a non digestible oil that will help flush you out.

I think flax is about 1/3 soluble fibre but it’d be nice to get another source of insoluble fibre to bulk things up.

I definitely notice after the HSM with about 30 mins my guts are being flushed from all the veges and stuff :slight_smile: