Biotest

Do You Have to Have Metabolic Drive?

First let me say I think Biotest products (Superfood, Flameout and Metabolic Drive) are great.

But stating that if you can not use Metabolic Drive you should not do this diet is just not fair IMO.

Stating that if someone sells a micellar casein product that is cheaper than yours is probably of less quality is also misleading.

My protein is 80% Micellar Casein and 20% Whey Isolate, I get it from a long standing and reputable company. I am guessing this is a higher % of Micellar Casein than Metabolic Drive yet I am paying less.

Some of the reasons are simple, they can ship in a plain plastic bag that is free. So I can get 5 pounds and I do not have to pay for the cost of the containers. Buying in bulk is always cheaper, I am sure if Biotest sold 10 pound BAGs of Metabolic Drive they could make it cheaper, maybe not by much but it still would be of less cost to produce and the savings could be passed on to the consumer.

IMHO you are doing a deservice to your diet by making such a statement. Your diet works if the right supplements are used, which you can get from various companies of excellent reputation (like Biotest).

The best tasting powder I’ve had is Syntha6 strawberry, and I’d buy it except the largest container they make it in is like 600g or something and it costs a fortune. All protein powders get drastically cheaper as you get into the larger amounts and I really wish Biotest would do this.

It’s up to Chris what he wants to call the V-Diet but personally I’ve never seen it as a Biotest only thing. I think with T-Nation they’ve just seen it succeed time and again on Metabolic Drive, they know it’s a good product and if you fail on something else then you haven’t given yourself the best chance of succeeding so you can’t blame the diet.

Personally I’ve done the diet first week a whey, egg, casein blend which was easy. Second week whey only (due to a shipping problem) which was hard and weight lost wasn’t up to part. Third and fourth week milk protein concentrate which was awesome in satiety and weight loss. I was more than happy with the results.

Second run I’m doing with ON Casein and Whey and first week was pretty amazing, and EASY.

It’ll be interestign to see what Chris says, but I think that it’s just that they feel that having MD gives you the best chance to succeed and therefore the best chance for the diet to spread and gain popularity. Plenty of people have done it without Biotest gear and done well.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2165072

Although… I’d be game for 10lb bag of Metabolic Drive. Methinks you might be onto something.

Here’s some ideas:

1 year of ZMA
1 year of Z-12
10lb bags of Metabolic Drive
10lb bags of Surge
1 year of Flameout
6 months of Superfood (assuming it’s fairly difficult to make)

etc. etc.

How 'bout it TC? I’m sure a LOT of people would be game for bulk purchases.

dude makavali you have some deep pockets.

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
dude makavali you have some deep pockets.[/quote]

???

I’m not going to store a 10lb bag of protein powder in my pockets if that’s what you mean…

It’s not a matter of deep pockets - it’s a matter of economics.

Six months of Superfood is really only ~$300 as it is - a volume discount could really save you money.

10lb bags would be, what? $150 without discount? Bring it down to about $125 for the discount?

Well I do have deep pockets, but that’s because my hands need to be around my knee level to masturbate. Oh… you meant money wise.

Well… using generous rounding:

6 months = around 185 days

185/28 = 7 tubs of Superfood

= $280 (rounded)

Now put a bulk discount on that.

:slight_smile:

1 year of Flameout…

That would be one gigantic bottle.

[quote]JamalRaynor wrote:
1 year of Flameout…

That would be one gigantic bottle.[/quote]

OR a medium sized bag…

[quote]Blashy wrote:
My protein is 80% Micellar Casein and 20% Whey Isolate, I get it from a long standing and reputable company. I am guessing this is a higher % of Micellar Casein than Metabolic Drive yet I am paying less.
[/quote]

I agree. I’ve asked about using another 80/20 product myself and the only answer that I was given is “Metabolic Drive has the optimum blend.” IMHO it seems like a blanket statement to sell more protein.

That being said the success rate does improve when looking at those who have stayed with Metabolic Drive but do those comparisons look at people who have used quality products and blends…I doubt it.

I’ll post it again in case it gets answered…

Why would an 80/20 Casein/Whey blend not be better at the end of the day? Would you not need more slow digesting protein before bed?

Also the answer “that protein is shit=you fail” is not an answer. Consider the possibility that it is a quality product, can someone explain why or whynot this protein should be used?

To get optimal results, you should use a quality whey-Micellar casein blend. There certainly ARE other quality ones out there, and some can be bought for a decent price. But Shugart is right that there are many more cheap knockoffs.

[quote]BackDay wrote:
Blashy wrote:

I agree. I’ve asked about using another 80/20 product myself and the only answer that I was given is “Metabolic Drive has the optimum blend.” IMHO it seems like a blanket statement to sell more protein.

That being said the success rate does improve when looking at those who have stayed with MD but do those comparisons look at people who have used quality products and blends…I doubt it.

Why would an 80/20 Casein/Whey blend not be better at the end of the day? Would you not need more slow digesting protein before bed?

Also the answer “that protein is shit=you fail” is not an answer. Consider the possibility that it is a quality product, can someone explain why or whynot this protein should be used?[/quote]

I like a higher percentage of casein pre-bed.

There’s a whole sticky on this topic:

http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2165072

Just remember, please don’t report “failed” V-Diets if you do not use the mandatory supplements. The V-Diet did not fail; rather, you did not do the V-Diet.

[quote]BackDay wrote:
Blashy wrote:

That being said the success rate does improve when looking at those who have stayed with MD but do those comparisons look at people who have used quality products and blends…I doubt it.

Also the answer “that protein is shit=you fail” is not an answer. Consider the possibility that it is a quality product, can someone explain why or whynot this protein should be used?[/quote]

Honestly I don’t see what your stressing about, if you know another product has a better blend/quality, use it!
Don’t ask the people here though, their opinions are biased, ofcourse they’re going to tell you to buy Biotest.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

Just remember, please don’t report “failed” V-Diets if you do not use the mandatory supplements. The V-Diet did not fail; rather, you did not do the V-Diet.

[/quote]

Pretty sure that the OP made this post in RESPONSE to the sticky…

The V-Diet did not fail; rather, you did not do the V-Diet.
[/quote]

Fair enough. Those “failed” diets were not V-Diet and those taking whey protein only clearly don’t understand the premise behind the nutrition in the diet.

I have read sticky that you posted as well. I’m not considering taking Metabolic Drive out of the equation but using it for the first 5 shakes of the day and taking a higher casein shake for the last shake of the day. Not only would I get the GDL from the first 5 shakes but I’d be supplying the body with extra protein for the night. I am also talking about a protein that is not cheap. Granted I don’t have a lab to test the validity of their claims but I’m going to assume (Even if I’m making an ass out of you and me) that what they are saying is mostly true.

I guess my real question is this:

Would it be beneficial to take in more Casein protein before bed without affecting the caloric totals when on a diet such as this?

I’m still waiting for someone to explain how GDL becomes a probiotic. Please?

Perhaps, with enough time and people (un)willing to try the Velocity Diet, we could end up with a topic comparing different brands of protein base and/or different ratios with end results.

[/quote]

My response was indeed because of that sticky.

My point is if you publish your book and state in it that you HAVE ot take Metabolic Drive it will hinder the message.

As well if the book states the V-Diet is the V-Diet only if you use Metabolic Drive then your hard work writing will be discredited allot outside of T-Nation. They will state it is a publicity book for Biotest supplements.

That is my perpective.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I like a higher percentage of casein pre-bed.[/quote]

I don’t know how I missed this post the first time. I like a higher percentage of Casein myself. I guess I’ll give it a shot and call it the BD-Diet or something.