Biotest

Difference Between Plazma and Mag-10

Kidcoyotearm asks:

I just bought Plazma and Micro-PA and I am wondering if I can take Plazma post work out like Mag-10. I don’t have Mag-10 yet. But the ingredients do not seem that different.

You could, technically, but it’d be inefficient at best. Plazma is designed to be used before and during training, so the ingredients can be put to use immediately.

They have the same types of high-quality protein and carbs, but in different amounts. Plazma also has a few extra ingredients to help with performance and recovery, because it’s specifically workout nutrition.

Mag-10 is great during the day or post-workout, but if you “only” have Plazma, you’re still in a great spot. That’s like “only” having Tom Brady on your fantasy football team instead of having Brady and Gronkowski. (I’m not a sports guy, but that sounds like it should make sense.)

I know the Micro-PA says to use it with Mag-10, but if you don’t have it yet, you can still get going with it on its own.

Thank you. Your example does make sense!

Also understand that “post-workout nutrition” is very 1990s :slightly_smiling:

The thinking of the time was that to get the best results from your session you had to take protein and carbs POST-WORKOUT. And studies seemed to agree. But that’s because all the original studies were done on endurance athletes and the variable they studied was glycogen replenishment (how quickly did they restore the glucose/carb reserve stored in the muscles after a session). Which is the no.1 recovery factor for endurance athletes.

Basically what they wanted to find out was “what protocol helped endurance athlete replenish the fuel they spent during the session”.

Obviously the thought of studying carbs/protein intake before the session didn’t cross their mind because of what their objective was (find the best way to replenish what was used).

Eventually they decided to test another variable: protein synthesis. It is only when their objective shifted to “what protocol is best to replenish used up fuel” to “what protocol increases protein synthesis the most” that they began to study pre-workout intake of carbs and amino acids… and when it comes to protein synthesis the pre-workout intake won every time.

Now I believe that the key to growth and recovery from muscle building workouts is pre and intra workout nutrition… not post-workout nutrition. While the later will still have some influence on your gains, the former is by far the most important element.

1. when you load up nutrients in your body, these nutrients can be transported directly to the working muscles via non-insulin mediated nutrients transport. Without getting too technical the muscle contraction acts much like a pump: more blood is sent to the working muscles to bring oxygen to the muscles and to get rid of waste products of muscle contraction (lactate, hydrogen ions). But if there are amino acids/protein and glucose/carbs in the blood when this happens you also send these nutrients directly to the muscles you are training. Whereas if you ingest the same nutrients post-workout you only get a general uptake. In other words the WORKOUT IS THE ONLY TIME WHERE YOU CAN DECIDE WHERE YOU SEND THE NUTRIENTS YOU INGEST!

2. If you have glucose/carbs available during the session you will not use up as much muscle glycogen and you can more easily replenish what you use. So there isn’t as much need to give more carbs to your body after the session since your glycogen stores will still be pretty full.

3. Protein and carbs before and during a session decreases cortisol release during the session. This means that your ratio of anabolic (muscle building) and catabolic (muscle wasting) hormones will be a lot more favorable to building muscle.

If you have your pre and intra workout nutrition taken care of with PLAZMA her really is no need for any specific post-workout nutrition. Adding MAG-10 or SURGE RECOVERY or FINIBARS 30 minutes or so after the session might give you slightly more benefits. But PLAZMA alone will give you more gains than any other approach out there.