Biotest

Dead Stop on the Scale

Chris,

I’m 2 weeks, 3 days into my V-Diet and the scale has completely stopped moving. Of course, I’m doing the diet and training exactly as prescribed on the site. Hell, yesterday, I did the VBurn challenge fasted, then spent the entire day on my feet doing photography stuff, and I still skipped three scoops of protein. So I ate about 1400 kcals, did fasted training, and moved around all day and I was UP on scale weight. WTF?

I know scale weight is not everything, but it will eventually have to drop, especially for someone like me. I just can’t understand what’s happening that would cause it to not move.

Any thoughts?

And just to be clear, I’m not mixing my shakes with milk or juice or vodka or anything. Just water.

lulz at vodka…

Liek you said scale weight isn’t everything. Just stick to it and keep goin. The weight will go!

Weigh and MEASURE once per week only, or you’ll drive yourself nuts.

Seriously, stop it with the weighing.

See my previous 1034 responses to this same question for details.

Okay, okay. I was in a hurry before… mostly.

1. Muscle gain possibly.

2. Natural daily fluctuations (can be 6 pounds easily in one day.)

3. Wonky scale. Incorrect weighing procedure, etc.

4. You need to poop. See #2.

5. Fat loss doesn’t go by rules like coming off at exactly 1.2 pounds per 3.7 day period, etc. Stops are followed by surges, and vice versa.

And you never mentioned how long you’ve been “stalled.” I’m always surprised when people tell me that the diet “stopped working” then tell me several posts later than it’s been 2 days.

Gah ok ok. Yeah. I probably need to stop looking at the scale so much. It’s hard though.

My weight loss has been stalled for about five days. Kinda weird. But like I said, I’m looking leaner, which I think is the most important part. Next weigh-in and measurements are on Thursday and not a moment before.

Ugh. I feel dumb… I know this stuff. I have a NSCA-CPT cert, for shit’s sake. It’s just when it’s your own body, you see it way differently. Time to get real.

[quote]Xab wrote:
Gah ok ok. Yeah. I probably need to stop looking at the scale so much. It’s hard though.

My weight loss has been stalled for about five days. Kinda weird. But like I said, I’m looking leaner, which I think is the most important part. Next weigh-in and measurements are on Thursday and not a moment before.

Ugh. I feel dumb… I know this stuff. I have a NSCA-CPT cert, for shit’s sake. It’s just when it’s your own body, you see it way differently. Time to get real. [/quote]

No worries. Just keep doing those tape measurements. A tape measure is the best little $2 sanity preservation device a dieter could ever buy!

In fact, I’m looking to fine-tune for summer, so I’m pulling mine out today. The scale, however, is staying up on its dusty shelf!

Keep me posted, please. There ARE some tweaks we can make if needed. We can decide that after the next official, planned weigh-in.

Hmm… Well today marks the start of the final week on the main phase, and I weighed in at 210.6. That means I’ve basically not lost any scale weight for 10 days.

I’m not sure what to make of that… my clothes are fitting loser, I definitely look better in the mirror, measurements are going down… but I’m not sure why the scale isn’t moving. Not that I’m really that concerned, I know there’s a lot to it.

I’m thinking of getting some KCl and seeing if I might need that to piss out some water weight.

Any thoughts, Chris?

[quote]Xab wrote:
Hmm… Well today marks the start of the final week on the main phase, and I weighed in at 210.6. That means I’ve basically not lost any scale weight for 10 days.

I’m not sure what to make of that… my clothes are fitting loser, I definitely look better in the mirror, measurements are going down… but I’m not sure why the scale isn’t moving. Not that I’m really that concerned, I know there’s a lot to it.

I’m thinking of getting some KCl and seeing if I might need that to piss out some water weight.

Any thoughts, Chris? [/quote]

I noticed you’d skipped some shakes in an earlier post. That’s not a regular thing, is it? As as you know, too few calories can hamper fat loss and “slow the metabolism down” so to speak.

I doubt you’re retaining water weight given the lower carbs of the V-Diet.

If your measurements are going down, you’re looking better in the mirror, and clothes are fitting looser, then I wouldn’t panic.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]Xab wrote:

Any thoughts, Chris? [/quote]

I noticed you’d skipped some shakes in an earlier post. That’s not a regular thing, is it? As as you know, too few calories can hamper fat loss and “slow the metabolism down” so to speak.

I doubt you’re retaining water weight given the lower carbs of the V-Diet.

If your measurements are going down, you’re looking better in the mirror, and clothes are fitting looser, then I wouldn’t panic.

[/quote]

No, the skipped shakes is a relative rarity. I’ve probably done it three or four times so far, and it was only when I just really wasn’t hungry. I’ll keep that in mind though.

So do you have any ideas where I’m gaining weight? I’m obviously not storing fat if I’m taking in between 1590 and 1800 kcals a day and using stimulants, and I’m probably not building muscle despite the leucine and all the protein. Maybe the V-Diet is throwing off my digestive tract and I’m holding onto food (and, er, what was once food) for longer?

I don’t have a guess. If you’re losing fat visibly, then I wouldn’t worry about the scale so much. Maybe your scale just sucks?

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
I don’t have a guess. If you’re losing fat visibly, then I wouldn’t worry about the scale so much. Maybe your scale just sucks?

[/quote]

I had never thought of that. It IS a $11 scale from Walmart… and I can get fluctuations of an entire pound if I try weighing in multiple times at once.

Ok. It’s going in the trash.

I find that on days I’m fasting+spending a ton of time on my feet outside of the gym, I tend to not drink enough water. This, in turn, makes the weight go up a pound or two on the scale the next morning (although I haven’t weighed myself in over a month, I stick to feel and the tape only now- helps me to not go absolutely batshit).

Try downing a big glass before bed. May help.