Biotest

Dead Squat Bar, Other Exercises?

Just ordered my dead-squat bar and I have to say I have never been so excited for a piece of equipment. I stopped doing heavy dead lifts a while ago because my lower back would always eventually act up no matter how strict I was on my form. So it will be great to be able to do dead lifts again.

If anyone has any advice on how to utilise the bar for things other then dead lifts please post. Also if you have a bar and would like to add a review or their own experience with the bar would love to hear it.

Thanks.

Check out Ben Bruno’s articles here on T Nation - he has some creative videos on different uses for the bar (overhead press, floor presses, single leg stuff).
I don’t have a dead squat bar (wanting one though), but do have a standard trap bar that has been great for me. I’m tall and have found it much easier on my back - and has made a big difference in squats as well.

Glad you like the <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/dead-squat-bar"target=“new”>Dead-Squat Bar. Here are a few things we’ve used it for besides deadlifting and deadlift variations:

Shrugs
Farmer walks
Seated overhead press (from pics)
Bench press (for the unique grip angle)

Thanks Grove and Chris.

Just looked at Ben Bruno’s videos. Very impressed how versatile it is. The position of the handles really add to what you can do. I always have problems with standard bar overhead press with my shoulders. Maybe this will make a difference because it appears to be a more shoulder friendly movement pattern. Farmers walks too can’t wait to try that. Been using heavy dumbbells so far but mine only go up to 125lbs so for me it becomes more of an endurance exercise then a strength one because I can walk to far. Being able to load up with a lot more weight for farmers walks is awesome and I can’t wait to try it.

Same with me on the overhead press - one of the main reasons I want to get a dead squat bar to try that due to my limitations with BB overhead. Also, I’ve been using the trap bar DL as a warm-up on squat days (3 or 4 sets of 3-5 / 50%-60%) and have found that to prep my body better for leg day - squats have gone up 15% past 6 weeks since starting that.