Biotest

Day One: Workout Seems Too Simple!

Im 22 years old, currently weighing 176lbs, and I have been lifting pretty consistently the last 3 years in college at IU. I did the Monday workout today on the intermeadiate level and it just seemed way too short. I was done in under 25 minutes. I typically do 3-4 movements per body part and split my days as Chest/Back, Bi’s/Tri’s, Shoulders, and Legs.

Can anyone tell me if I am way off on how long the workout should have taken me? I did have minimal rest between the 4 movements.

Also, I did the V-Burn workout yesterday to jumpstart the program. It took me exactly 40 minutes to do all 6 circuits. Is that a normal time?

Thanks for any advice you may have. I am pumped to start this amazing Fat Blasting Diet!

-TheChaz

both seem right to me. hone in on proper weights, and keep perfect pace…and wait for wednesday.

as for V-Burn, i did 3 sets in 12 minutes going balls out, but if i did all six at once i’d probably be around 40 too i think.

Thanks Jstirto, how do you keep your count? Stop watch or just in your head?

Yeah, as jstiro mentioned, make sure the weight you pick for each exercise is your TRUE 5-rep max. If you’re breezing through the workout, I would guess you are either in phenomenal shape, or the weight is too light. Are you doing chin-ups with weight attached? A dumbbell held between the thighs may help.

we have 60 second clocks in all the rooms of the weight room, which is really nice. if you don’t have something like that then get a watch. No way can you be that accurate it your head…especially when you’re really tired. You’ll be like, “(huff huff)I think it’s only been 20 seconds so far (huff)” get a drink, chat with a buddy, go to the bathroom, quick look at sports center, and quick back…just in time for you to jump into your next set before the 45 seconds is up.

Time them exactly. By the time you get set and start the lift, the breaks start to not even seem like breaks anymore, especially in week two and beyond. This is truly where I realize my training was lacking. I always thought I was taking a minute break between sets, and really it was probably three.

Stay strong.

Thanks Guys, Sobrie2, I’ll try out the weighted chin-ups next week.

Have either of you noticed a drop off in the amount of weight lost after the first week? I’ve already shedded 5 lbs in 4 days, I just wonder if it slows down abrubtly.

i only weigh in once per week, so i won’t know until saturday, but the drop-off does seem to be a common trend (mostly to the extra water lost in the first week probably).

[quote]TheChaz wrote:
I did the Monday workout today on the intermeadiate level and it just seemed way too short. I was done in under 25 minutes.

-TheChaz[/quote]

The workout is short but should not be easy. I definitely agree with the other feedback here - your weights are likely too light and/or you’re getting too much rest.

What did your reps/set look like?

[quote]TheChaz wrote:
Thanks Guys, Sobrie2, I’ll try out the weighted chin-ups next week.

Have either of you noticed a drop off in the amount of weight lost after the first week? I’ve already shedded 5 lbs in 4 days, I just wonder if it slows down abrubtly.[/quote]

Last time I did the diet my drops were as follows:

Week 1 - 7.2 lb
Week 2 - 2.6 lb
Week 3 - 2.0 lb
Week 4 - 2.0 lb
Trans 1 - 1.0 lb
Trans 2 - 0.2 lb

I then changed programs to something with higher activity keeping Trans 2 as my diet and dropped 6 more pounds in the following 3 weeks.

I had a couple guys at my gym tell me the workouts were too easy, so I trained them on their next workout. Turns out there were:

1. Resting way too much (talked too much between sets, didn’t look at the clock.)

2. Not lifting as fast as possible, as the workout prescribes. In other words, they lifted, but they didn’t bare down and FIRE the weight up with max speed and effort.

3. Weren’t using the proper RM weight on set #1, which of course determines how the rest of the reps go for the exercise.

At the end of the workout, they were spent, and the next day they said they could hardly crawl out of bed. Funny how me standing there and directing them turned an “easy” workout into as ass-kicker.

So, make sure you’re doing it right, but also focus on sheer EFFORT. Lift hard - with good form - focus, and watch those rest periods.

One more note: Since this is a full-body program, remember that legs, for example, get hit three days a week with weights, plus again with the V-Burn.

So of course they aren’t annihilated with 30 sets in one two-hour workout. That may be okay with split training where legs don’t get hit again for 6-7 days, but this isn’t split training. You’ll be targeting legs again very soon, though with different exercises. I think many people kinda forget that because they’re coming from a split-training mindset. Took me a while to get used to it too.

Awesome advice. Thanks guys. I can’t wait to get back in the gym for day 2. I’m going to try and do everything as exactly described. I’ll let you know if I can walk after. Hopefully Not.

Just did the first workout tonight. I almost puked midway through my bentover rows. on paper it looks easy, but as chris noted, its short, but intense. the 45 sec rest periods seemed more like 15 secs. LOL… Looking forward to thursday’s training!

I also thought the first workout looked too “easy.” Man, was I wrong. I’m almost afraid for the second workout tonight. I was sweating like a dog after the first one. Didn’t really feel it the enxt day but I really am sore today, day 3. Especially in my upper lats. I was a bit skeptical I have to admit but will give it a chance.

The push press was especially tough last night! Any suggestions on proper performance of this move? I tried it with Dumbells and found it way tougher than standard shoulder presses.

If you take the same weight for both exercise, push press should be easier than standing military press. Since you have a bit of momentum with your legs, you should be able to take more weight on the push press.

If you never try standing military press before, it is normal that you take less weight than a seated military press. All the effort you put into staying in balance makes you less effective in pushing the bar. BUT, personnaly, I found doing standing shoulder work so much more effective than when you are seating…!