Biotest

Curcumin .... So Much More

Biotest tells us there are quite a few health benefits to ingesting Curcumin. They go on and on about how it helps with the pain that results from hard core training. They also touch on its other benefits like helping to lower cholesterol, lowering body fat, enhancement of your cardiovascular system and the untold amounts of antioxidants it bestows on your body.

Well I want to share with you my experience of Curcumin. This is totally going to blow your mind. Now I am no doctor, not a scientist…nope, no degree or any fancy, smancy letters behind my name. I am just someone who has to biohack my own body to make it work at optimum performance. So this has worked for me, not saying it will work for you, but what have you got to loose.

For those that have been following my Indigo Log: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_indigo_2/hawaiitunya_indigo_3g_project_log … which apparently are quite of few of you T-Nation-nites as my log has over 220,000 views. I’m sure you have read about my chronic hive condition onset from the head trauma received in 2006. This condition as put me in the ER several times in Anaphylactic Shock and now I carry an EPI pen because of it.

“Any” type of stress (including physical exercise) can bring on an outbreak, which can seriously hamper my training. Last year I was put on Prednisone on 4 different occasions.

This past February a member of our gym sent me a write up in Science Daily: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140217084804.htm . As you will see the study discusses the success they’re having to control the onset of hives with over the counter histamine blockers stacked with Vit-D3. I immediately wanted to give this a try.

I started this regiment and then in working with my new doctor, a Naturopath, she wanted me to drop the Allegra/Benedryl and use the Curcumin instead. Viola. We have a winning combination.

So now my stack is Curcumin with 20-30,000 iu’s of Vit D-3 a day.

I have been Prednisone FREE all of 2014. I still get the occasional outbreak but I have not used any over the counter histamine blockers and like I just mentioned NO PREDNISONE!!

Now if your questioning if the Curcumin or Vit D will work by itself, for me it’s a BIG NO! During my last competition I didn’t take enough of either with me and I ran out. Immediately started breaking out in big hives the evening before competition. My friends stopped and picked up some Vit-D for me. I immediately took the full dose of 30,000 and all it did was ease things off, but still had large welts on my head and spots on my face. The effects were the same through the night and into the next day. After I got home the next day I immediately took in 6 Curcumin and within 60 minutes the hives started to disappear.

This week I have been out of Vit-D and my supply should be here tomorrow, but I have been having a few spots. Last night at the gym everyone became concerned when they noticed how broke out my face was.

So…for me…it’s a no brainer…

Curumin + Vit D3 is my ultimate HISTAMINE BLOCKER.

I encourage anyone who suffers from allergies to give this a try. What have you got to lose besides a few tissues and brain cells from sneezing all the time.

As far as I am concerned Biotest should change their info on Curcumin to include:

Healthy Benefits of Curcumin:

And here are the findings from laboratory studies showing the healthy benefits of curcumin:

• Curcumin has been shown to exhibit anti-aromatase properties.
  • Curcumin helps enhance cardiovascular health.
  • Curcumin may reduce body fat.
  • Curcumin has been shown to support healthy cholesterol levels within a normal range.
  • Curcumin has been shown to lower the risk of Hives or other allergy related symptoms.
  • Curcumin has been shown to lower the risk of neck injuries due to constant sneezing from allergies. (okay, maybe not this one)
  • Curcumin is a powerful antioxidant.
  • Curcumin is a powerful histamine blocker.

So that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it!

Very cool! Thanks for passing this along. <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/curcumin"target=“new”>Curcumin is fast becoming a staple around here.

Nice thanks for sharing I’ll try the 6x curcumin next time allergies hits.

Eric

[quote]TT Eric wrote:
Nice thanks for sharing I’ll try the 6x curcumin next time allergies hits.

Eric[/quote]

I think the key is the stack of Curcumin + Vit-D.

Just asking but why does it contain SLS?

That’s fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

I’ve battled severe eczema/hives/sensitive skin my entire life, and it’s only been made worse from playing hockey. I’ve seen a marked decline in breakouts since I’ve been taking Curcumin regularly.

I do also take vitamin D3, so you may be on to something there regarding histamine.

[quote]SBT wrote:

I’ve battled severe eczema/hives/sensitive skin my entire life, and it’s only been made worse from playing hockey. I’ve seen a marked decline in breakouts since I’ve been taking Curcumin regularly.

I do also take vitamin D3, so you may be on to something there regarding histamine.[/quote]

How much Vitamin D3 are you taking?

[quote]HawaiiTunya wrote:

[quote]SBT wrote:

I do also take vitamin D3, so you may be on to something there regarding histamine.[/quote]

How much Vitamin D3 are you taking?[/quote]

Only 6,000 IU. I might not be seeing the same histamine-blocking effects of your dose, but maybe I’ll slowly up mine.

[quote]SBT wrote:

[quote]SBT wrote:

How much Vitamin D3 are you taking?[/quote]

Only 6,000 IU. I might not be seeing the same histamine-blocking effects of your dose, but maybe I’ll slowly up mine.[/quote]

Ohhhh 6,000 … you’re a light weight…LOL hehehehe j/k

According to the Naturopathic MD I started seeing, the average person should consume about 15,000 a day. Than take into account the intense training and a person’s body size and that amount could increase. She says you would have to take 50,000 on a daily basis for many months for it to become toxic. So no worries there.

Let me know how it works out for you at the higher doses. :slight_smile:

Do you take 20-30,000 UI every day year round ?

BTW how is it actually in Hawaii ? I’m going there next week!

Eric

BTW, you can get 50,000 IU D3 at most progressive pharmacies, over the counter, no script. Good for bumping you up fast. But ideally get a blood test and see where you’re at. My article here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/d_is_for_doping

[quote]TT Eric wrote:

Eric[/quote]

Aloha TT Eric.

Yes I take 20-30,000 every morning with 3 of the Curcumin. If I am feeling any hives than I take another 10-15,000 with my afternoon dose of Curcumin to control the outbreak from progressing.

Hawaii is actually having Hurricanes at the moment. LOL. We had one hit the Big Island late last night with a major portion hitting my side of the island. Lots of heavy rain still and flooding. There is a second hurricane, Julio, heading our way and should hit Sunday/Monday. So depending on when you fly in, it should be beautiful and clear by then. LMAO.

Is this business or pleasure? Either way, if you’re on Oahu or Maui they are not getting hit with just the outskirts of the hurricane and you should be fine. Those two islands are the most expensive to stay on and food prices can be through the ROOF! If you’re here for any length of time and like to purchase food to have in your room, try finding an outdoor local farmer’s market. Fresh produce super cheap that way. There are a lot of cafe’s and eatery’s that serve grass fed beef here as it is so easy and cheap to get.

If this works on hayfever next season - I’ll be a fan for life !

[quote]TT Eric wrote:

Eric[/quote]

Aloha TT Eric.

Yes I take 20-30,000 every morning with 3 of the Curcumin. If I am feeling any hives than I take another 10-15,000 with my afternoon dose of Curcumin to control the outbreak from progressing.

Hawaii is actually having Hurricanes at the moment. LOL. We had one hit the Big Island late last night with a major portion hitting my side of the island. Lots of heavy rain still and flooding. There is a second hurricane, Julio, heading our way and should hit Sunday/Monday. So depending on when you fly in, it should be beautiful and clear by then. LMAO.

Is this business or pleasure? Either way, if you’re on Oahu or Maui they are not getting hit with just the outskirts of the hurricane and you should be fine. Those two islands are the most expensive to stay on and food prices can be through the ROOF! If you’re here for any length of time and like to purchase food to have in your room, try finding an outdoor local farmer’s market. Fresh produce super cheap that way. There are a lot of cafe’s and eatery’s that serve grass fed beef here as it is so easy and cheap to get.[/quote]

Thanks! Yes I saw the hurricane alert, we will arrive next Friday! One week in Oahu (Waikiki), one on the Big Island (Kona) and one on Kaui (Princeville). We will be in condos with full kitchen, so we’ll shop and cook our food! Purpose of the trip is to snorkel/free-dive/explore. We went there 3 years ago for 10 days, but could not do things as much as we would cause my wife had been forced to work even though she was in vacation. So this was our ‘revenge’ for the half missed last trip. Now with the hurricane, I hope snorkeling will still be good, do not want to waste another 10K$+ trip.

Eric

[quote]TT Eric wrote:

[quote]TT Eric wrote:

Eric[/quote]

Aloha TT Eric.

Is this business or pleasure? Either way, if you’re on Oahu or Maui they are not getting hit with just the outskirts of the hurricane and you should be fine. Those two islands are the most expensive to stay on and food prices can be through the ROOF! If you’re here for any length of time and like to purchase food to have in your room, try finding an outdoor local farmer’s market. Fresh produce super cheap that way. There are a lot of cafe’s and eatery’s that serve grass fed beef here as it is so easy and cheap to get.[/quote]

Thanks! Yes I saw the hurricane alert, we will arrive next Friday! One week in Oahu (Waikiki), one on the Big Island (Kona) and one on Kaui (Princeville). We will be in condos with full kitchen, so we’ll shop and cook our food! Purpose of the trip is to snorkel/free-dive/explore. We went there 3 years ago for 10 days, but could not do things as much as we would cause my wife had been forced to work even though she was in vacation. So this was our ‘revenge’ for the half missed last trip. Now with the hurricane, I hope snorkeling will still be good, do not want to waste another 10K$+ trip.

Eric[/quote]

I really can’t help with any idea’s on Oahu or Kaui but on the Big Island, oh yeah. Kona side is a little foreign for me. But I know they have some great outdoor markets. You can usually find Papaya’s 4 for $1.00. I can usually hit the market here in Hilo once a week and get all the produce I need for about $25.

Try and shop KTA as they carry the local grass fed beef. Usually can find the leanest for about 4.79/lb.

For snorkeling try off to the side of our state park Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historic Park. They have a public access area off to the right before entering the park. Here is a link.

http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/city_of_refuge_snorkeling.html

Enjoy your time here. If you need anything while in Kona, let me know.

A hui ho.

Thanks! My hope is that the snorkeling is not ruined because of the hurricane!

Eric

HT!!!

It’s been a long time since I’ve been on here and chatting, I am glad to see you are still making rounds here and it appears that you are doing well!

This is a very interesting read. I’ve recently (I’m 33, until about 28 I never had allergy issues, but apparently wanted to let them develop, stupid body) gotten checked out and tested positive for dust mites and seasonal change allergy crap. It was pretty bad for awhile, though right now it’s marginal (my office building is a dust bucket, so it sucks at work more than anything most times).

They prescribed a daily OTC (Allegra, Zyrtec, whatever) and a nasal spray thing. This helped for a little, but didn’t really last, I think I adapted to it or something…

This write-up from you makes me wonder. I’ve been taking curcumin for about 2 years now, as well as supplementing vitamin D, but nothing like this. I do about 10,000IUs and 2-4 curcumin (spaced out morning/afternoon). With your thought process, I’ll have to adapt it a little bit and see what happens. If it helps to clear up my sinus nonsense, I’m all about it, espcially to avoid the OTC/nasal spray crap. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info. I’ll try to report back on how it works out!

And I’ll try to keep in touch more often! I miss the LiveSpill.

Hey SWHaUn:

I miss the livespill as well. LOL

Yes, you definitely have to up that VitD and try taking 3 Curcumins with it. Lately my intake is 25,000 iu of Vit-D and 3 Curcumin at 4:00am. Then another 10-15,000 iu of Vit-D and 3 Curmin at 12:00pm with lunch.

The heat and humidity has been off the chart lately since the hurricanes that I am overheating just walking from my car into the gym. Might have to break out the iced towels for my training sessions again until this heat passes us.

I am doing very well and yep still around. What would you guys do without me.

A hui ho.

Tunya

[quote]SWHaUnTsMe wrote:
HT!!!

It’s been a long time since I’ve been on here and chatting, I am glad to see you are still making rounds here and it appears that you are doing well!

This is a very interesting read. I’ve recently (I’m 33, until about 28 I never had allergy issues, but apparently wanted to let them develop, stupid body) gotten checked out and tested positive for dust mites and seasonal change allergy crap. It was pretty bad for awhile, though right now it’s marginal (my office building is a dust bucket, so it sucks at work more than anything most times).

They prescribed a daily OTC (Allegra, Zyrtec, whatever) and a nasal spray thing. This helped for a little, but didn’t really last, I think I adapted to it or something…

This write-up from you makes me wonder. I’ve been taking curcumin for about 2 years now, as well as supplementing vitamin D, but nothing like this. I do about 10,000IUs and 2-4 curcumin (spaced out morning/afternoon). With your thought process, I’ll have to adapt it a little bit and see what happens. If it helps to clear up my sinus nonsense, I’m all about it, espcially to avoid the OTC/nasal spray crap. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info. I’ll try to report back on how it works out!

And I’ll try to keep in touch more often! I miss the LiveSpill. [/quote]

fantastic that it worked for you so well. However you have to be very careful about recommending people take such large doese of Vitamin d3 , D3 honestly saved my life along with some other vital things in resolving (100%) a life threatening and life long battle with depression. However the key to it is to titrate dose so that your blood levels are right at or even slightly higher than the high end of normal range…except in such cases as yours where acute treatment is required for specific reasons.

regardless … great for you…i know what its like to finally alleviate a horrible ailment that doctors jsut can;t seem to do anything about except “treat”

[quote]morepain wrote:
fantastic that it worked for you so well. However you have to be very careful about recommending people take such large doese of Vitamin d3 , D3 honestly saved my life along with some other vital things in resolving (100%) a life threatening and life long battle with depression. However the key to it is to titrate dose so that your blood levels are right at or even slightly higher than the high end of normal range…except in such cases as yours where acute treatment is required for specific reasons.

regardless … great for you…i know what its like to finally alleviate a horrible ailment that doctors jsut can;t seem to do anything about except “treat”[/quote]

I believe that everyone metabolizes Vitamin D3 differently and it can take several blood tests to dial in the correct amount to take. My wife and I both had very low levels of Vitamin D and our doctor prescribed high dosage D3 for both of us. It took me several weeks to get up to the proper level on my blood test and I need to take 4,00 IU/day (plus more from my multivitamin) to stay at that level. Meanwhile my wife was done with the high dosage in a week and only needs 500 IU/day.