Biotest

Crystal Light-type Beverage Effects Insulin?

I have a packaged powdered lemondade that I mix up, that is an imitation crystal light product. It says sugar free on the front, and on the nutrition facts, says 0g carbs, 0g sugar, but maltodextrin is the second ingredient listed, Whats the deal with this?

I don’t know about that stuff, but on day 4 or 5 I drank like a half gallon of crystal light and it phucked me up. Headaches, light headed, nauseaus. I have avoided anything like that since and have felt great. Just my experience.

MR

I think the FDA says that if the caloric value of one serving of something is less than 2 kcal (this numerical value may not be correct, please correct me if you know for sure) it can be labeled as calorie (and in some cases, fat) free despite the fact that the main ingredients (in this case maltodextrin) contain measurable calories. This is the case in lots of calorie/fat free products like pam and splenda. They have calories, just not a “significant” amount according to the FDA.

…or the FDA is just lazy as hell.

I’ve heard it said that artificial sweetners, despite the fact that they have no calories cause the pancreas to excrete insulin. The body thinks that it is sugar. I’m not sure if anyone has anymore information on this topic. I’d like to find out.

And IMHO the FDA has got to be one of the biggest problems with Americas obesity problem.

[quote]lehocki wrote:
I’ve heard it said that artificial sweetners, despite the fact that they have no calories cause the pancreas to excrete insulin. The body thinks that it is sugar. I’m not sure if anyone has anymore information on this topic. I’d like to find out. [/quote]

if there are no nutrients to store as fat because you’re in a HUGE caloric deficit (a la Velocity Diet) then whether or not you’re secreting insulin isn’t really an issue.

For the record, BCAAs and whey protein have both been proven to cause an insulin release. This being said don’t go too crazy with the Crystal Light. Stick to tea, water, occasional diet soda, etc.