Biotest

CrH V-Diet Logs

Started the diet yesterday, Mon Jan 28. Started ok, not my berst workout, I’m doing intermediary, but it’s always a little rough changing routines. I just finished 5 cycles of 5/3/1 a week ago. I will admit, I do miss it but looking forward to the new routine. Before I decided on trying the V-Diet, I was planning to switch to a more bodybuilding type of routine anyway because as is, I’m the “fairly strong but out of shape dude” in the gym.

What’s my overall goal (not just for this diet, but for this year): Get back to how I was in my under-grad years over 18yrs ago…simple isn’t it. I’m just a bit under 6’1", back then I was light-heavy weight between 195-205 lbs, bench 280 x 4, squat 400 x 5. Waist approx 33"

Here are my starting stats for the V-Diet:

Height: 6’1"
Weight: 255 lbs
Neck: 18 1/8"
Shoulders: 54 1/2"
Chest - Upper: 44 7/8"
Chest - Lower: 45 7/8"
Waist - at Navel: 45 3/8"
Waist - at largest: 45 3/8"
Hips - at largest: 44 1/4"
Upper Arm - L: 15"
Upper Arm - R: 14 8/9"
Upper Leg - L: 28 1/8"
Upper Leg - R: 27 7/8"
Lower Leg - L: 17"
Lower Leg - R: 17 3/8"
Ankle - L: 9 7/16"
Ankle - R: 9 3/8"

So I need to loose about 55 lbs of fat, 12" of the waist…no time to waist! Last check by fat ratio was around 24% (61 lbs) so I got some to spare I think.

Have to admit as well, it’s only been two day but I’m loving the shakes, almost couldn’t finish my for the day on Monday but who can resist chocolate and almond butter…

Day 1, 28 Jan 2013:

Followed diet, no mishaps

Front squat: 200x5, 190x5,190x5,190x5
Chin up: 5 sets of 4 reps with just bodyweight
Dumbbell bench press: (70lb dumbbells each hand)70x5, 70x5,70x5,70x5
Ab wheel rollout from knees: 5 sets of 4 reps

NEPA: On treadmill 4.4 mph @ 3.2% incline. 45 mins

Day 2, 29 Jan 2013:

Followed diet, no mishaps. Think it will be vanilla with peanut butter tonight.

NEPA: On treadmill 4.3 mph @ 3.5% incline. 50 mins

Good start, you should lose a lot of weight on this diet, your stats were similar to mine the first time i did the V-Diet 4 years ago and i lost 30lbs!

Just take each day at a time!

Thanks Marzouk! That’s really encouraging to hear. I would be happy with half that I think but 30 is really great number to aim for

Started day 3 with my workout, I do them in the mornings because it’s the best time for me. I do NEPA when I get home from work and make sure to do it before I have my dinner shake.

A little rough this morning, think I went to bed too late and didn’t get enough rest so that contributed to it. A few times it almost felt more like I was doing a complex rather than a regular workout routine. Almost burned on the reverse lunge and the push press

Here are the numbers:
Dumbbell reverse lunge: (Pair 40 lb dumbbells, 8 reps each leg) 40x8, 40x8, 40x8, 40x8, 40x8
Barbell bent over rows: 135x8, 135x8, 135x8, 135x8,135x8
Push press: 100x8, 100x8, 100x8, 100x5, 90x9, 100x2
Barbell curl: 70x8, 70x8, 70x8, 70x8, 70x8
Reverse crunch: 5 sets, 8 reps each

Totally drained when done but completely worth it.

Later that day ---------------------------

My earphones for my smart phone were on the fritz (sweat from the gym, unavoidable) so I decided to appeal to the great god Amazon for a new pair…for a small fee and awesome prime two day shipping. This was a couple days ago and on a lark I said “Why not just add that good looking 24oz thermos, may come in handy for your V-Diet”… this was touch of prophecy! Got to the office and realized I was booked for meetings from 3-5 (I rarely ever check my schedule before, too depressing), but the problem was my afternoon shake was scheduled for 3:30! Don’t know why, but I just didn’t want to walk into a meeting with a shaker bottle. Low and behold, prime did it’s thing and my package was delivered by midday. At 2:45 - Wash, rinse, dry, fill shaker, mix, pour, 15 mins later - I had my shake all cozy and cool in a sleek silver thermos looking like it was coffee for an exec or a meal fit for an advanced being from outer space. Moral of the story, let nothing get in the way of your V-diet, plan adapt…

Really need this diet to work, got the munchies for my usual afternoon salty snacks like crazy, mixed nuts if I’m good, fried plantain or banana chips if I’m not so good.

----------------end interlude

NEPA: On treadmill 4.1 mph @ 3.5% incline for 45mins

Having major cravings for my usual snacks of mixed nuts or teriyaki beef jerky but I’m hanging in there. Keeping busy and trying not to focus on it too much…so looking forward to chocolate mix and peanut butter later.

The first 3-5 days are the toughest. break through and you’re good to go.

I’m on Day 11, so I definitely felt your pain of wanting my usual snacks, which tend to be salty. I also felt really nauseous the first week from trying to get used to the sudden change. To help with the cravings on my downtime, I would smell my roommate’s pringles, spanish olives, anything that smelt good; doing this allowed for me to get the whiff of what I wanted but I didn’t feel the urge to eat any of it.

Keep up the good work and hang in there, the first week is tough.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
The first 3-5 days are the toughest. break through and you’re good to go.[/quote]

Thanks Marzuok, I can almost sense there’s something weird going on. I’m actually not hunger, I know I’m not, but I get these weird cravings and it’s not hunger so it just feels weird. Hanging in there though. The bright side is I’m getting to really appreciate good coffee again since I can only drink it black. No milk or sugar to drown the bad taste.
How did you V-diet end and what are you doing post v-diet now?

[quote]Seachel_25 wrote:
I’m on Day 11, so I definitely felt your pain of wanting my usual snacks, which tend to be salty. I also felt really nauseous the first week from trying to get used to the sudden change. To help with the cravings on my downtime, I would smell my roommate’s pringles, spanish olives, anything that smelt good; doing this allowed for me to get the whiff of what I wanted but I didn’t feel the urge to eat any of it.

Keep up the good work and hang in there, the first week is tough.[/quote]

Hmm, I may need to try that, they say “tasting” food is about 70% smell anyway. If I really get desperate I’ll try that for sure! Salty crunchy stacks are usually always close at hand for me so just breaking the habit of always chewing when I’m bored needs to stop as well. This got worse when I quit smoking, so now that I’m quitting “boredom munching” I hope my next addiction is healthy eating!

Thanks for the support Seachel_25, we’ll both be super pumped when we make the finish line in top form!

Cheers

Day 4, OK so far, now between my afternoon snack and dinner. Actually looking forward to my daily NEPA, I find it calms me down and is a perfect way to just shed work issues from my head…for an hour or two at least. Saga continues…

==================

Completed my NEPA and feeling good. It’s just been four days but it’s my brain is already accepting it as a necessary routine and I find my self looking forward to it as the day winds down.

NEPA: Treadmill 4.2 mph @ 3.5% incline, 45 mins

Day 5 -------------

I now have new respect for this exercise routine. Seemed simple enough today, just four exercises, that shouldn’t be too bad I thought and it starts with one of my favorite lifts, the deadlift. Always feel awesome after doing those. Problem is, before the V-Diet, I worked out more lifter style with them, I did them as my main lift, heavy weights, low reps with a few assistance exercises.

This set of exercises for this workout was a whole different animal. All I have to say is I hate pullups! (Actually I love them but because I suck at them my ego feels better saying that I hate them). After doing my first two sets of 8 with only 45s rest, I ignored all the beautiful people in the gym this morning that might be looking my way, threw my ego to the floor and stepped on it, chucked my pride through the window and said good riddance, and then as calmly as possible with my heart running sprints in my chest, shoulders, triceps and lats burning, I continued with more sane sets of 5-4 reps util I made up the 40 reps. Maybe I try some pulldowns next week…

Lesson learned, respect the pullup, check my ego at the door … (they really should have ego racks at the front next to the coat racks)

… These logs really help me to vent a little. Apologies for the excessive verbiage but I may need to do this to not think too much about peanuts, chips(crisps for any Brits out there), pizza, single malt scotch, G&T etc…

On to actual logs…

Deadlift: 245x8, 245x8, 245x8, 245x8, 245x8
Decline dumbbell bench press: 60x8, 65x8, 65x8, 65x8, 70x8
Pullup: BW 8,8,5,4,4,5,4,2
Hand walkout from knees: 5 sets of 8

We battle on!
Was thinking about doing my HSM today or Saturday but I think I’ll leave it for Sunday.

NEPA: 4.3 mph @ 3.5% incline. 35mins

Day 6 --------------

Chugging along, have been a bit lethargic the last few days but truthfully haven’t been getting enough sleep so I can’t give total blame for that to the diet. Also have been having some G.I. issues finally but that’s to be expected with any change in diet this drastic. As for the shakes, am getting a little tired of the taste of the flaxseed in the shakes but I know why it’s there. Will check the “Ask Chris” forum to see if anybody got an idea for a substitute that’s on track with the diet.

Did my V-burn challenge today, and it goes without saying it completely kicked my ass, at least this time I was fully expecting that so I had a medical team on standby (aspirin & a barf bag but you do what you can). Did them at home and I didn’t time my overall workout, I guess it took me half and hour or more (spent long minutes between cycles trying to inhale more oxygen than my lungs can handle and waiting for my heart to change its mind about trying to leave its current home for someone with less fat). I did time each cycle though and I’ll try to see if I can improve on those times in a week.

Battle on! HSM tomorrow!

I know these times might suck but they’re mine and I fought to make them!
V-challenge: Cycles - 4:58, 5:16, 4:53, 4:53, 5:19, 4:11

Keep up the good work! How are the cravings?

Love reading your log - I’m a handful of days behind (started Feb 1). Keep up the great work!

If you’re getting tired of the shakes - try blending them with a ton of ice if you haven’t already. I like my strawberry ones like that - makes them almost taste like the strawberry ribbon in cheap neopolitan ice cream.

Hope you enjoyed your HSM!

[quote]Seachel_25 wrote:
Keep up the good work! How are the cravings? [/quote]

Hey Seachel_25! Like you I’m in it for the long hall. Craving aren’t so bad actually, mostly they’re bad when I’m getting hungry which usually just means it’s time for another shake, my body is already programmed to the shake clock. I’ve learned to drink my shake slowly as all is well in the world.

[quote]accidentalyogi wrote:
Love reading your log - I’m a handful of days behind (started Feb 1). Keep up the great work!

If you’re getting tired of the shakes - try blending them with a ton of ice if you haven’t already. I like my strawberry ones like that - makes them almost taste like the strawberry ribbon in cheap neopolitan ice cream.

Hope you enjoyed your HSM![/quote]

Glad you like them, they really are like therapy for me sometimes. Not a big fan of strawberry but I’ll try the ice-cream trick with the banana cream flavour.

My HSM was awesome, thought about cooking but opted for a restaurant instead. Had a garden salad with walnut shaving for starters then lamb shank with radishes…I know lamb is not really the best choice but I compensated by only having greens with it. I can now see the method behind this diet. Don’t really have a problem with all the shakes, just miss the natural social component of cooking or going out to lunch or dinner but having had the HSM, I’m quite fine waiting another week to do it again. Will do steak or fish next time though.

When are you having your?

So day 7 went OK. Drank all my shakes ok, did my NEPA about midday. Did my HSM around dinner time Sunday and like I said before, lamb shank might not have been the wisest but I tried to make it but eating just radishes and greens. I guess I also felt I deserve just that little since I survived and office party and a few hours with friends without going off diet or even sipping a beer or glass of wine.

Day 7 felt good, not like a great achievement but pretty cool none the less, it shows that this can be done easily as long as you remember one thing: Stick to plan! It’s hard because the reward is so great. All about balance. If I wasn’t living the easy life all those years (hated and beloved wings, beers, scotch, potato chips, ice cream…let me stop here).

Another thing I have to say as well. At the start of the week I got all natural, dry roasted and unsalted peanut butter and almond butter. I tasted them as I was like “yup these are healthy”, because they were bland and not what I’m used to…1 week later, I think they taste absolutely awesome and swear I can now smell some food 10 feet and away and all I can think is “that’s way too salty”…go figure. Of all the benefits I thought the whole taste in food thing would be the last to kick in. Btw, radishes kick ass!

DAY 7 NEPA: 4.3 mph @ 3.5% incline, 45mins

Day 8

On to the more interesting stuff…

Now I had high hopes for this diet but within reason. Current thoughts…this diet is fucking awesome! With what I consider so far to be just some discipline, I think I got great results. It ain’t anywhere close to being over but if I do half as well next week (I can say this because I think it will be better than that) I’ll be one happy dude in 6 weeks.

Let me shut the hell up and just put my numbers up:

Height: 6’1"
Weight: ----------255 lbs—247.4 lbs
Neck:------------18 1/8"—17 3/4"
Shoulders:--------54 1/2"—53 1/2"
Chest - Upper:----44 7/8"—44 3/4"
Chest - Lower:----45 7/8"—44 7/8"
Waist - at Navel: --45 3/8"—43 3/4"
Waist - at largest: -45 3/8"—43 3/4"
Hips - at largest:–44 1/4"—44"
Upper Arm - L:----15"------15 1/8"
Upper Arm - R:----14 8/9"–15 1/4"
Upper Leg - L:-----28 1/8"–27 3/4"
Upper Leg - R:-----27 7/8"–27 3/4"
Lower Leg - L:-----17"------16 7/8"
Lower Leg - R:-----17 3/8"–17"
Ankle - L:---------9 7/16"–9 7/16"
Ankle - R:---------9 3/8"— 9 3/8"

I’m not much into total inches but for me what counts, 7 1/2 lbs lighter and 1 1/2" off my wait. My biceps are even a little bigger. Not that I had much doubt in this diet but now any inkling of doubt is gone. Do what they tell, whine and gripe all you want, but only quietly while you’re busy following all the instructions like you were told! There’s not a big difference in total outward appearance yet but I’m most happy with the 1.5 off the gut.

Now that I’m a little lighter, it’s on again with my nemesis…pull-ups! Yeah I know it will probably kick my ass up and down the gym like the last time but I’m a stubborn SOB…it on!

Anyway, after the high and the euphoria, get into the gym clothes and crack on. The reduced time between reps brought the pain…no more floating on a high, just a fast and painful reconnection with that earthly reality called the gym, place of worship and place of pain.

Battle on!-----------------

Workout logs (5s less rest between sets):
Front squat: 195x5, 195x5,195x5,195x5
Chin up: 5 sets of 4 reps with just bodyweight
Dumbbell bench press: (75lb dumbbells) 75x5, 75x5,75x5,75x5
Ab wheel rollout from knees: 4 sets of 5 reps

NEPA: 4.1 mph @ 3.5% incline. 45mins

Keep up the great work! I bet taking those measurements helped keep you motivated, I know I can’t wait to do mine soon!

HSM, weigh in and measurements all happening on Friday (Day 8)!

Yay progress! Keep it up and battle through!

And for your lack of chicken wings: Get chicken breast, lightly bread them with rice or almond flour and egg. Throw them into the oven and bake them. Then dump some hot sauce on them (like Frank’s Red Hot… 0 Cals!). Make an avocado dip to replace the blue cheese, and all will be good in the world.

[quote]accidentalyogi wrote:
Keep up the great work! I bet taking those measurements helped keep you motivated, I know I can’t wait to do mine soon!

HSM, weigh in and measurements all happening on Friday (Day 8)![/quote]

Believe me, those measurements made all the difference. Talk about motivation! Been a while since I’ve seen progress anywhere close to that. I can’t even take myself seriously now if I even try to bitch about any aspect of this diet!