Biotest

Creative V-Diet Recipes

Ok, background, In the last year with the help of lurking on T-Nation i have worked my butt off and went from 250 to 170, I have learned how to eat right, manage my cal intake and workout regularly. Having said that, I would like to speed up the process to get the last flab around the love handles gone.

My wife just finished the V-Diet and dropped her 23 pounds, and while she did that I learned to live of sub-par foods (she usually made multiple veggies and an amazing meat)that i would make sunday and then eat the leftovers all week. I have a crazy retarded sweet tooth, so I am really banking on this diet killing that craving after a month of protein powders. But, i digress.

I started this monday and while the only time its hard so far is in the hour leading up to my shake, I just flat out miss the act of eating, so i had started having my PB separate from a shake, so i could “eat”. Well, in all my glory of wanting sweets, I used Chris’s ideas of overloading on the ice to have to eat shakes with a spoon, so I used vanilla Metabolic Drive and to me, I had ice cream. yum. And it had to be eaten with a spoon, FOOD?!

SO this got my wheels turning, so tonight for my evening shake, i mixed my chocolate Metabolic Drive with just enough water and a slight amount of baking powder and my flax, mixed to a cake batter consistency, and nuked it for 40 seconds. I kid you not, i had chocolate cake. It was cakey, and delicious. I then made my “ice cream” and put my PB in it, for a great tasting PB ice cream. Tomorrow morning I am going to use my banana Metabolic Drive and flax and see if I come up with banana nut bread.

Anyway, I wanted to share that with everyone, make sure Chris doesnt flame me for the 1/4 tsp of baking soda, and see if anyone else had come up with some wierd way of doing something different. I cant imagine what else you could do, but we are creative around here, so lets see what we got.

That sounds GREAT! Casein based powders certainly lend themselves nicely to cake batter consistency.

By all means, please whip up some Metabolic Drive muffins, cakes, cupcakes, whatever! I’m totally uncreative in the kitchen but I’m going to make your chocolate cake idea!

[quote]johnward82 wrote:
Tomorrow morning I am going to use my banana Metabolic Drive and flax and see if I come up with banana nut bread.

[/quote]

Awesome. Let me know how that turns out! Good luck with your diet!

Awesome cake idea. I’m going to have to try that one.

You inspired me. After I read ‘banana bread’ I went crazy. I had to have something with a bread consistancy. I only have strawberry with me, but I mixed 2 scoops with just enough water to make a batter, added a 1/8 tsp of baking soda, poured it into a mini muffin pan, threw it into the toaster oven @ 350 for 5 minutes. Voila, 12 mini strawberry muffins that taste like an over cooked omlet. : ) I got about 6 down and couldn’t do anymore. But my craving for bread is gone. So thank you!

i can only imagine that 5 minutes had to have been way too long. this morning i made the “banana bread” and i think it was pretty good, its going to be a good way for me to use my banana Metabolic Drive, as I dont like is as much as the others. one scoop with water in the microwave and 50 seconds did it. I am going to try strawberry next probably. When i make my chocolate cake again, im going to melt my PB and drizzle it over my chocolate cake as a “frosting”, i wonder if you mixed the PB with vanilla and make a thick cream if you could make an icing for it.

Its definatly something you have to play around with the cook time with, like my chocolate cake, was for lack of a better word, runny right in the middle, i ate the middle and had a huge donut. but if i had cooked it any longer the outside cake part would have been horrid. mini bunt pans would work great i bet. anyway, with a big glass of water to me, its fairly filling also.

My favorite recipe was simply Chocolate Metabolic Drive + PB + as little water as possible. It’s like PB-Chocolate fudge. I still eat this as my last meal of the day at least once a week.

Sometimes I just mix up the Metabolic Drive + flax seeds + water (haven’t tried baking powder, didn’t know how it would react) and cook it on a pan. Voila: pancakes! This is great with chocolate, AMAZING with a 50% vanilla and 50% banana mixture. Even better is if you spread some of your daily PB on the banana or chocolate pancakes. Holy cow it’s good.

You can also spread a pinch of sugar-free jelly on 'em. No more calories than adding some Crystal Light to your shake. Or you can scrape the bowl you mixed it up in, and spread the last of the mix on top of the baked pancake as kind of a frosting.

I also tried baking the stuff in muffin cups @ about 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Weird thing was they were all dense around the edges and just had a big air hole in the middle. Very “bready,” though.

I try to limit this now, though, because of some people’s claim that this will “denature” the protein. I also found that sometimes eating the “muffins” will just whet my appetite for other bready things! It feels like I’m making an end run around the psychological “reprogramming” part of the diet, so maybe that’s not so good. So I just do a pancake on the few times when I need to take my protein but feel like choking down another shake would kill me.

WELL I tried it with strawberry, and i admit it wasnt the best, and i could even say it did taste like a funky omlet. i had another banana one this morning, as i am finding its the easiest way for me to use this banana. I dont like it as much, my wife loved it, but ive had better banana flavors from other companies, unfortunatly. I thought about the pancake idea, and i might give it a shot, but i think really the banana and flax is the whey to go :wink:

[quote]jstines wrote:
My favorite recipe was simply Chocolate Metabolic Drive + PB + as little water as possible. It’s like PB-Chocolate fudge. I still eat this as my last meal of the day at least once a week.[/quote]

ditto that - except I still eat it everynight and I add flax

Has anyone figured out how to make Nachos on this diet?
I made vanilla chips kind of in the same way as the cake but on a baking sheet, a “cheese” with a scoop of vanilla and non-caloric artificial cheese flavor. But if just wasn’t right…

My roommate and I are on this diet and all we can think about are Nachos

i say, if you are that intersted in nachos, i could for sure make some incredibly healthy bad ass nachos for my hsm, no prob.

Mmmmm Metabolic Nachos…

That’s really what we’re planning on doing, loading the whole plate with good veggies, chicken, and some good quality low-carb style chips.
can’t wait for Saturday

Oh and BTW the whole protein cake idea has changed my life
thank you for it

Here is what I’ve had PWO for the last couple of weeks.

• Thermos Oatmeal -
    The night before I combine 1/2c of oats with 1tsp of cinnamon. Depending on how I feel I will add some coconut or chocolate essence.

I then add 2cups of boiling water to a thermos then pour in the oats, give it a quick swirl and then seal it and leave it overnight.

In the morning you have nice, thick porridge.

• Oatmeal & Protein Cake -
    Combine 30g of protein powder with 1/2tsp of baking soda and 1/8tsp of cream of tartar.

Add about 4-5 desert spoons of the thermos porridge and then stir it up it’ll be cake battery type consistency.

Bubbles will already be forming in the batter so microwave straight away on about 50-60% power for 2 minutes or so. If I want it drier I’ll go another 30 seconds, otherwise it’s actually pretty moist at this stage.

Turn out into a bowl and leave ot cool a couple of minutes before eating.

You can also add in some quick oats if you want it to dry out a bit more during ht ecooking stage.

I then mix my creatine in with the remaining thermos oatmeal and chow down the entire lot with about 500mL of water. I’m stuffed until my next meal about 3 hours later :slight_smile:

Here are some pics of the protein oat cake I made this morning. It is nothing more than the thermos oats + ON whey + guar gum + baking powder (not soda).

Basically make the thermos oats (above), add 1/2tsp of guar to about 4 desert spoons of the oat mix and let stand for about 20 mins and mix well again (the guar tends to clump sometimes). Then add whey and mix then add 3/4tsp baking powder and mix. You can add a tbsp or so of wholemeal SR flour if you want to thicken but it’s not necessary and wasn’t used here.

I cooked in my microwave (800W) for 3min @ 60% and this is what I got. The top center was just a little uncooked so the rest was absolutely moist and delicious.

BTW I decided to give my thermos a little turn and shake a couple of hour after starting the cycle last night and this mornings product was SOOO much creamier and delicious.

Hmm I thought the whole point of the Velocity Diet that it was a liquid diet as well as being a low calorie diet. The “liquid” bit of the diet means that the calories are rigidly controlled as each meal is isolated and can be planned so possibility of deviation. The other ramification of a liquid diet is that it cleans out your system both physically and mentally which is why people lose their cravings.

I am not shit stirring but my opinion is that the substitution of shakes for “like” foods that were once eaten outside of HSM negates the beneficial psychological effects that the diet has.

[quote]echelon101 wrote:
Hmm I thought the whole point of the Velocity Diet that it was a liquid diet as well as being a low calorie diet. The “liquid” bit of the diet means that the calories are rigidly controlled as each meal is isolated and can be planned so possibility of deviation. The other ramification of a liquid diet is that it cleans out your system both physically and mentally which is why people lose their cravings.

I am not shit stirring but my opinion is that the substitution of shakes for “like” foods that were once eaten outside of HSM negates the beneficial psychological effects that the diet has. [/quote]

I completely agree, the liquid aspect of the V-Diet is probably a huge reason why your eating habits change for the better at the end of the diet.

But, some people aren’t necessarily doing the diet for thepsychological benefits that come with it. I could see this cake fitting into the diet if the person is solely concerned with losing massive amounts of body fat in a short period of time.

Or, I suppose you could just be really really sick of the shakes…

[quote]ozzyaaron wrote:
Here are some pics of the protein oat cake I made this morning. It is nothing more than the thermos oats + ON whey + guar gum + baking powder (not soda).

Basically make the thermos oats (above), add 1/2tsp of guar to about 4 desert spoons of the oat mix and let stand for about 20 mins and mix well again (the guar tends to clump sometimes). Then add whey and mix then add 3/4tsp baking powder and mix. You can add a tbsp or so of wholemeal SR flour if you want to thicken but it’s not necessary and wasn’t used here.

I cooked in my microwave (800W) for 3min @ 60% and this is what I got. The top center was just a little uncooked so the rest was absolutely moist and delicious.

BTW I decided to give my thermos a little turn and shake a couple of hour after starting the cycle last night and this mornings product was SOOO much creamier and delicious.[/quote]

Is that a HSM? If not I don’t think it adheres to the V-Diet…

1. ON Whey
  2. OATS

It does look mighty delicious though…