Biotest

Creatine HCL vs Monohydrate (Pairing with Food/Supps)

The previous quote is from another Topic.

I want to ask, because I feel like every time someone mentions creatine they should specify which type they are referring to, 1. which creatine would you have been referring to in that post?

1. Is it true that Creatine HCL can be destroyed by certain other foods with citric acid?
  2. Are there any supplements or foods that you would not recommend pairing either HCL or Monohydrate with because they could destroy or reduce the effectiveness of those supplements or foods…or the effect of creatine? Is there a rule of thumb?
  3. Are there any other Biotest supplements I should avoid pairing either with, especially from the top 20?

I recently switched to a bulk Hcl powder after reading Jim Stoppani’s recommendation and a few other anecdotes. I can only say I have observed better solubility and better digestive comfort. In his words,

But even if you don’t want to believe that creatine HCL outperforms creatine monohydrate, you can rest assured knowing that it definitely provides similar results as creatine monohydrate, at a much smaller dose and with none of the potential side effects. There truly is no debating that fact.

He also claims

Some research has reported that less than 3% of the original amount of creatine monohydrate is transported across the intestinal cells within 90 minutes. Not only is this an issue because it limits the uptake of creatine by the intestines and then by the muscles, but it can also lead to stomach upset (from the creatine sitting in the intestines and drawing water into them) and water retention in the subcutaneous space (under the skin), which blurs a person’s muscularity and makes them look smooth and bloated.

Some experts claim that creatine monohydrate doesn’t cause bloating or water retention, but I have data on thousands of individuals showing that many of them do, in fact, experience this “bad” water retention. In fact, several studies actually show that creatine monohydrate increases extracellular water levels in the area under the skin that causes that puffy look. Even though the changes in extracellular fluid may be small, in those who are very lean it can make a big difference in how “shredded” they look."

The following quote however is from the Creapure website:

Stability of creatine
When creatine monohydrate is introduced into liquids, it is slowly converted into creatinine, which is physiologically ineffective but not harmful.
…In slightly acidic drinks such as orange juice, less than five percent of the creatine monohydrate is broken down into creatinine within eight hours. That means that there is no problem mixing creatine monohydrate with such drinks as long as the mixes are consumed the same day. In the case of alkaline drinks such as those made from milk or yoghurt, creatine monohydrate can even be stored in the refrigerator for up to several weeks without any significant loss in potency.
…The widespread claim that gastric acid can quickly decompose creatine is simply incorrect. In fact, most of the creatine consumed passes through the stomach unchanged and is therefore absorbed. More than 95 percent of it enters the bloodstream.

Lastly, this independent writer on stayfitcentral makes some good points inCreatine HCL Vs. Creatine Monohydrate – Which Is Better?

He considers 1. Effectiveness 2. Cost 3. Convenience 4. Product Safety/Purity with no data on HCL for the first and last categories.

I get how it can be confusing once you’re aware of other types of creatine, but creatine monohydrate is the classic, original, most popular, most effective, and default “creatine”.

I believe the “avoid acidic foods/drinks” thing with any creatine was busted as basically a myth. Not a concern.

Not really. Along with the no-acid thing, there used to be the idea to avoid caffeine with creatine because “caffeine is a diuretic and creatine needs water, so they cancel each other out.” But that’s not how the body works. Stay hydrated in general, like you should be doing anyway, and you’re good to go.

Nope. Creatine is one of those supps that can (arguably should) be used any time, all the time, regardless of whether your goal is building strength, gaining size, or losing fat.

This is a weird comment from Stoppani, considering that 2-3g of creatine monohydrate has been shown to be an effective dose (his argument about “side effects” refers to the much more common 5g dose [the dose that’s been studied for decades and generally regarded as side effect-free]) and in the next breath he goes on to suggested redundant double dosing by taking creatine HCL before and after training… so you’re taking the same amount anyway with little, if any, added benefit.

Everything you said makes sense. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.