Biotest

Cravings

So, when do the cravings for shitty food stop? I’m on day 10 and all I can think about is Royal Farms fried chicken…

Varies by the individual. Depends on how “hooked” you are and on what. Make sure your HSM doesn’t contain wheat or liquid milk. The book “The End of Overeating” really gets into the addictive nature of foods – usually combos of bad fats, salt, and sugar – but it’s mental as well. Sometimes it’s just habit, like eating while watching TV even though your belly is full from dinner. According to the research I’ve seen, it’s at roughly around the 21 day mark for habitual behaviors to taper off.

Hang in there. I believe Dan John wrote in his book that it took him about a week to level off.

Yea hang in there man, do you also crave the stuff in your new avatar? Crap I still have a hankering for Hostess Ho Ho’s but haven’t had one for at least 20 years.
Sorry if that adds another craving!

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Varies by the individual. Depends on how “hooked” you are and on what. Make sure your HSM doesn’t contain wheat or liquid milk. The book “The End of Overeating” really gets into the addictive nature of foods – usually combos of bad fats, salt, and sugar – but it’s mental as well. Sometimes it’s just habit, like eating while watching TV even though your belly is full from dinner. According to the research I’ve seen, it’s at roughly around the 21 day mark for habitual behaviors to taper off. [/quote]

Okay, that’s good to hear. I haven’t had any wheat or dairy (other than cheese) in my HSMs thus far.

[quote]scoots2 wrote:
Yea hang in there man, do you also crave the stuff in your new avatar? Crap I still have a hankering for Hostess Ho Ho’s but haven’t had one for at least 20 years.
Sorry if that adds another craving![/quote]

Ha! No Ho Ho’s don’t do much for me. Junk food (candy/cakes/etc…) aren’t really an issue. It’s the handful of fast food joints I hit up like Royal Farms and Chick Fil A. And pizza…

I’m actually not much of a drinker to be honest. I’ll have a a little Bourbon here and there. Not during the diet of course.

Has anybody tried using Glutamine mixed in water between meals to curb cravings? I have read that since it is an energy source for the brain it helps control or eliminate obsessive or compulsive feelings for food. It has also been used in drug and alcohol addiction treatments.

I just started the V-Diet and I was planning on using glutamine to help me through it. Chris do you think there would be an potential damage to the program if I included taking glutamine to try and curb cravings?

I don’t think it would hurt, but honestly a lot of what we call cravings are just habits, traditions (always eating when watching TV) or reactions to things like stress, emotions, etc. There is no real mechanical hunger i.e. empty stomach. In fact, the #1 complaint I’ve seen about the V-Diet over the years in that people get “too full” – yet obviously these are below maintenance calorie levels.

As for the true food addictions – sugar/salt/fat combos, wheat, possibly liquid milk – I haven’t seen anything to curb them except time. They just fade away as long as you don’t reinforce them with “cheat” meals. That actually takes less time than getting rid of the behavioral habits.