Biotest

Confused About Advanced Program

So, I’d follow the advanced program, but I’m confused about how to actually do it.

12 Sets? I see it says 4-5 RM, so why 20 reps? Wouldn’t the rm imply to aim for 4-5 reps at most?

[quote]southphilly wrote:
So, I’d follow the advanced program, but I’m confused about how to actually do it.

12 Sets? I see it says 4-5 RM, so why 20 reps? Wouldn’t the rm imply to aim for 4-5 reps at most?[/quote]

I assume you’re getting the number 12 from the downloadable log forms? That’s just the format of the logs. Most people won’t need 12 sets.

Simply use a 4-5 RM on the first set. After that, get 20 reps total, regardless of number of sets. It might look like this:

Set 1: 5 reps
Set 2: 4 reps
Set 3: 4 reps
Set 4: 3 reps
Set 5: 2 reps
Set 6: 2 reps

Total = 20 reps. But the number of sets doesn’t matter, as long as you get the load right, in this case, shoot for 4-5 reps on the first set. Also, keep the rest periods strict (30 secs) and be sure to progress weekly as outlined.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
southphilly wrote:

12 Sets? I see it says 4-5 RM, so why 20 reps? Wouldn’t the rm imply to aim for 4-5 reps at most?

I assume you’re getting the number 12 from the downloadable log forms? That’s just the format of the logs. Most people won’t need 12 sets.

Simply use a 4-5 RM on the first set. After that, get 20 reps total, regardless of number of sets. It might look like this:

Set 1: 5 reps
Set 2: 4 reps
Set 3: 4 reps
Set 4: 3 reps
Set 5: 2 reps
Set 6: 2 reps

Total = 20 reps. But the number of sets doesn’t matter, as long as you get the load right, in this case, shoot for 4-5 reps on the first set. Also, keep the rest periods strict (30 secs) and be sure to progress weekly as outlined.

[/quote]

Thanks dude. I should’ve asked sooner lol, I was doing barbell rows last night, 225 for 4-5 for 12 sets. It was brutal lol. I did everything that way haha