Biotest

Colin's V-Diet Log

I injured my back last week and was unable to start this diet nearly two weeks ago when I got my supplies. The doctor said I just injured my SI joint and the pain would subside in a few weeks. He has given me permission to work out and go to work, and to even push through the pain if it is only minor to moderate.

With that said, I understand that the V-Diet is meant to be done exactly as is, but I may not be able to for the first week or two. The altercations I am making are only in regard to the workouts, where I will have to substitute a different lift for the squats and deadlifts. I am not sure how the V-Challenge will go just yet, but I think I can do it all.

There are two reasons I am not waiting. One, I feel like it could take up to a month before my back is good enough to do squats and deadlifts, and I don’t want to wait. The difference between a few substituted lifts will most likely be negligible.

Two, I am going to use the experience and share it will those who may be in the same boat. If you participate in any sport or lift consistently you know that injuries happen and you have to train around them. Further, using a small injury to avoid working out and being disciplined is weak. If you wait for the perfect time to execute anything, you will wait forever.

I have a question though, since I am starting on Thursday, should I just act as if I had been on it all week and do Friday’s workout tomorrow, the V-Challenge on Saturday, and a HSM on Sunday? Or, should I treat today as Monday and do the workouts on different days?

Hi Collin,

Best of luck with your V-diet! Be sure to listen to your body - if it hurts don’t do it. It’s better to take care of yourself and not injure yourself further rather than put yourself out of commission for an event longer time frame.

In response to your question, this is my take. If others feel differently or have more experience with the V-diet, please chime in.

I started the V-diet on Tuesday and treated it as my Monday. I am going to continue this so that my last day will be a Monday as opposed to a Sunday. I think it would be fine to start on Thursday and treat that as your “Monday”. The only thing to think about is that you will have to eat your HSM on Tuesday (“Saturday”) or Wednesday (“Sunday”). You could also start the diet and workout program on Thursday and just sort of wrap up this week following the protocol - do Friday’s workout, V-challenge on Saturday/Sunday and HSM on the weekend - and then do 28 day program starting Monday. You would have the added “benefit” of being on the V-Diet for 31 days.

Best of luck and look forward to hearing how it goes!

[quote]a1oldham wrote:
Hi Collin,

Best of luck with your V-diet! Be sure to listen to your body - if it hurts don’t do it. It’s better to take care of yourself and not injure yourself further rather than put yourself out of commission for an event longer time frame.

In response to your question, this is my take. If others feel differently or have more experience with the V-diet, please chime in.

I started the V-diet on Tuesday and treated it as my Monday. I am going to continue this so that my last day will be a Monday as opposed to a Sunday. I think it would be fine to start on Thursday and treat that as your “Monday”. The only thing to think about is that you will have to eat your HSM on Tuesday (“Saturday”) or Wednesday (“Sunday”). You could also start the diet and workout program on Thursday and just sort of wrap up this week following the protocol - do Friday’s workout, V-challenge on Saturday/Sunday and HSM on the weekend - and then do 28 day program starting Monday. You would have the added “benefit” of being on the V-Diet for 31 days.

Best of luck and look forward to hearing how it goes![/quote]

I think you are right. As much as I really want to start now, I know I am not quite ready. I think I will wait until Monday so I will be on schedule and it will give my back an extra few days to get where it needs to be. I will just repost here when I know I am ready to start and I am not rushing something.

Date: May 21, 2012
Measurements:

Height: 6’ 2"
Weight: 244lbs
Shoulders: 55.5"
Right Arm(not flexed): 14"
Right Arm(flexed): 16.25
Left Arm(not flexed): 14"
Left Arm(flexed): 16"
Waist at Navel: 44"
Waist: 41"
Right Quad: 26"
Left Quad: 26"

So it begins today. My back is feeling much better, and I am going to lift in about an hour for the first time in a few weeks. Being out of the gym has really been depressing, so it will be good to get back at it. I am going to intentionally hold myself back today in order to see just where I am ability wise. I think most upper body lifts will be just fine, and I am pretty sure I can do isolation work for my legs. No squats and no deadlifts make Colin a dull boy, but so does slowing my progress. The squat rack isn’t going anywhere, and unfortunate;y neither are the guys who curl in them.

Since I am a server and spend 30 hours a week walking around I will consider that my NEPA. Being a server will also pose some issues regarding the timing of shakes. There will be times where I cannot have one or when I have to have some at closer intervals. Working doubles will be the most difficult thing since I will need to carry 3 shakes with me, and try to time them based on breaks and slower times which can be hard to do. This may also require me to use a blender bottle instead of an actual blender. To deal with the less thick shakes I will probably up my fiber tablets and water to help feel more full. I won’t really know how this affects me until this weekend. I will also move my V-Challenge to Sunday since I am off and I work doubles on Saturdays.

When I did the diet last year, I did the advanced workouts. I did, however, change the overhead squats to regular back squats because most of the time, I didn’t have access to a squat rack, just a Smith machine. Also, I hate overhead squats! So I modified. I did develop some crazy good defined shoulders! Looked great in a sundress. As a matter of fact, the Army recruiter who comes to the high school where I teach remembered seeing me at graduation last year and commented on it to me back in the fall.

So changing some of the exercises in the workouts don’t prevent you from getting good results. However, that was the only exercise I changed. And yes, I know the squats didn’t develop my shoulders!

[quote]blissteach wrote:
When I did the diet last year, I did the advanced workouts. I did, however, change the overhead squats to regular back squats because most of the time, I didn’t have access to a squat rack, just a Smith machine. Also, I hate overhead squats! So I modified. I did develop some crazy good defined shoulders! Looked great in a sundress. As a matter of fact, the Army recruiter who comes to the high school where I teach remembered seeing me at graduation last year and commented on it to me back in the fall.

So changing some of the exercises in the workouts don’t prevent you from getting good results. However, that was the only exercise I changed. And yes, I know the squats didn’t develop my shoulders![/quote]

Good to know! I think I will be able to incorporate the right lifts in next week, but I want to be careful not to injure my back as it heals. I think as long as I do my best I will get good results. I have also spent the last 8 months bulking and building strength, so I just need to maintain it while in this deficit. It sounds like, from your previous experience, that we can both expect some great results this time around!

I have decided to post my progress on Wordpress. This will allow me to share easier with my friends/family on Facebook and anyone who wants to follow along. I can also dedicate time to it since I have so much more free time.

Here is the link:

Day Two:

Day Three:

Totally doing what you suggested and have been mixing my shakes into “pudding.” Has made SUCH a difference! It is not hard to have my shakes now! Thanks for the tip!