Biotest

Coconut Flour Bread (and Pancakes!)

I know Chris is a big fan of almond flour, and the pancakes/bread you can make from it makes a reasonable substitute, but since going completely wheat- (and mostly grain-) free, I discovered an even better substitute for making bready items. Coconut flour! Here are two recipes that work spectacularly well:

Coconut Flour Biscuits (or bagels, or english muffins…)

Servings: 4 bagels or 8 small english muffins

Ingredients:
4 room temp eggs
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 tbsp coconut oil, soft or liquified
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, beat wet ingredients together. Add dry ingredients and beat again.
Refrigerate dough for about an hour.

Using wet hands, separate dough into 4 (or 8) piles and roll each pile into a ball. If you’re making bagels, use your thumb to make a hole in the middle of the ball and shape it into a bagel.

Bake for about 25 minutes. Cool, cut, toast, and serve with cream cheese and lox (or pb&j, or as a mini slider… the possibilities are endless!)

Coconut Flour Pancakes

Servings: 6 pancakes

Ingredients:
3 eggs
3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted (plus extra butter or coconut oil for cooking the pancakes)
3 tablespoons almond milk (or buttermilk)
1 teaspoon stevia/splenda/honey/other sweetner of choice
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preparation:
Using a wire whisk, mix together eggs, melted butter, almond milk, stevia, and salt. Continuing to whisk, add the baking powder and coconut flour until thoroughly mixed. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter (or coconut oil) in a skillet on a medium flame. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of batter onto skillet making pancakes about 3-4 inches in diameter.

Coconut flour is still pretty calorie dense, but in moderation, these completely satisfy my breakfast cravings.

Giving credit where it’s due…
Original Bagel Recipe: http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/2010/01/onion-poppy-seed-bagels-made-with-eggs.html
Original Pancake Recipe: http://www.cheeseslave.com/2008/10/17/coconut-flour-pancakes/

How strong is the coconut taste when cooked?

Is it too overpowering to make a pizza with?

Coconut flour is good stuff, just a bit trickier to use than almond. You usually can’t sub 1:1 to regular flour as you do with almond. Plus it sucks up moisture like crazy.

I have a recipe lying around for coconut flour donuts that I can’t wait to try though!

Good links above, OP. Thanks!

[quote]ADvanced TS wrote:
How strong is the coconut taste when cooked?

Is it too overpowering to make a pizza with?

[/quote]

I don’t think it’s too strong - there is a little bit of a natural sweetness, but nothing overpowering or off-putting. I bet it would work well for pizza actually. If you end up using the bagel recipe for pizza, let me know how it goes!

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/1/a/1aae7_ORIG-DSC01366.jpg

Just made these this morning. Big win. They are very good, moist, and fluffy. I would have to say that they have edged out the almond flour pancakes in my book. Even my wife liked these and she does NOT like coconut. These will become a staple.

I see these as a win on two fronts. First they taste great. Second coconut flour seems to be very economical because you don’t have to use as much. It was also cheaper then almond flour where I bought it. Great recipe.

I just looked up the nutritional info for coconut flour and it’s 2 tablespoons for 60 calories. Since you don’t use as much coconut flour as almond flour, for the pancake recipe above, the flour portion is only 90 calories! If I try to make 6 pancakes with almond flour, it would require 1 cup of almond flour for over 800 calories! Is there any reason to continue using almond flour as opposed to coconut flour even if you believe a calorie is not a calorie? That is just too big of a difference to ignore. Anyone have a coconut recipe for bread?

Almond flour gives you more calories, so if you need more calories eat the almond flour version. If you are trying to shred up use the coconut.

Just made these. Pretty darn good!