Biotest

Coconut Bread

[center]Coconut Bread [/center]
Standard flour is perhaps the most evil shite in the universe when it comes to your body. It makes you unhealthy. It makes you ugly. But it also makes really tasty food. So, what’s a hungry, physique-conscious dude or dudette to do?

Simple: Switch to almond flour or coconut flour.

Almond flour is a staple for me. I get it online in bulk 5 pound bags, but coconut flour is good too. Not quite as versatile and a bit trickier to use, but great stuff. It’s gluten-free, low-carb, high fiber, and low-glycemic.

One of my most popular recipes is for <a href="http://velocity.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/eat_bread_ithisi_bread"target=“new”>almond flour bread. Well, here’s a new choice: coconut bread.

[center] [/center]

The Stuff

6 omega-3 enriched eggs or 12 egg whites (or a mix)
1 tablespoon Splenda or raw honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup coconut flour

Making It

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. (In Celsius that’s 371,453 degrees. But my math could be a wee bit off.)

2. Whisk or blend everything together.

3. Add batter to a pan sprayed with coconut oil or Pam. Bake for 40 minutes or so, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Variation

How about a sweet version? Add a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, half a cup of Splenda, and a couple handfuls of walnuts.

[center] [/center]

Enjoy.

Note: More cooking tips and pics available at my <a href="https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisShugart"target=“new”>Twitter page.

Note #1: This one doesn’t keep for long. Eat within 24 hours or so, or store in the fridge.

Note #2: I’ve pretty much dumped Pam. Not crazy about the oils in there. But you can get one made with only olive oil, or my favorite (shown above) Spectrum coconut-oil spray. Good stuff.

Would be around 180 degrees Celsius. Most ovens dont go over 250 degrees.

Where can you get almond flour and coconut flour cheap online? My local grocery has almond flour for around $10 per pound, and rarely carries coconut flour. I am a big fan of the half flax half almond flour bread and really don’t want to give it up.

[quote]puckhead08 wrote:
Where can you get almond flour and coconut flour cheap online? My local grocery has almond flour for around $10 per pound, and rarely carries coconut flour. I am a big fan of the half flax half almond flour bread and really don’t want to give it up. [/quote]

I use this place for 5 pound almond flour: http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/blanchedalmondflour5lb.aspx

Coconut flour isn’t available there though. But you typically don’t use much coconut flour per recipe, so it goes a long way. I just pick it up at the health food store.

Chris, did you find this coconut flour recipe a bit dry? If so, do you think some coconut oil or an extra egg might help? Maybe some water or almond breeze added to the dough?

This place had the best price I’d found online for coconut flour.

www.tropicaltraditions.com

I surprisingly found coconut flour and almond flour at wal-mart! It’s almost 10 bucks a pound for almond flour though :\

[quote]Weevo wrote:
Chris, did you find this coconut flour recipe a bit dry? If so, do you think some coconut oil or an extra egg might help? Maybe some water or almond breeze added to the dough?[/quote]

Coconut flour is inherently dryer than almond flour, but sometimes an extra egg will do the trick.

tried this yesterday. followed basic recipe to the T, then added an extra egg, canned pumpkin, and pumpkin spice. total fail. strike 2. ugh. i’ve got a good handle on cooking, but baking is a bitch.

^^ What was the problem? Was it too runny? I ran into that problem when I tried pumpkin flax bread. I added more flax and some extra protein powder to dry it out.

This is a great one. I haven’t made the almond flour bread due to the caloric density so I’ve really missed the bread. So I made this guy as muffins so that I could try multiple variations with one batch of “dough”. I made the straight recipe with 3 whole eggs and 1 cup (6 egg whites) egg whites, and a version with 2 Tbsp of cocoa and 1/2c of splenda. Then I made chocolate icing with the protein goop recipe to top the chocolate batch.

They turned out beautifully as far as consistency.

1. Plain: I was hoping for a savory type of bread to use as a sandwich bread or dinner type muffin. They were a touch sweet for that. The natural sweetness of the coconut flour requires a bit more salt. So on repeat I would cut the added splenda and add a pinch more salt.

2. Chocolate: Damn…that’s really all that needs to be said. Now, I haven’t had a real cupcake since Nam but these suckers are exactly like I remember them. Brilliant. The touch of dryness (which may be less if made with all whole eggs) was countered with the icing as a lubricant. I tried them cold and hot. Both were insane.

The beauty of this recipe, the nutrition profile. These are actually friendly enough to be eaten on the regular.

I thought I liked the almond bread, but his has it beat hands down. I made the sweetened version with cocoa and it is heaven. Thanks for the recipe Chris!!

Chris,

which coconut flour do you buy? Seems like there is a ton of options out there, and I am wondering if any particular brand(s) works better than others? Costs?

I am sure the only difference is costs, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

[quote]JimmyJamesJG wrote:
Chris,

which coconut flour do you buy? Seems like there is a ton of options out there, and I am wondering if any particular brand(s) works better than others? Costs?

I am sure the only difference is costs, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy[/quote]

Currently using raw (organic) coconut flour made by a company called Coconut Secret. $5.49 a pound at my local health food store.

Like coconut oil, good coconut flour smells like fresh coconut. This does, but honestly I mostly just like the container. It has a resealable lid, which beats the plain bag.

I use the same brand as Chris and it works perfectly. There is no difference between it and Bob’s Red Mill, as I’ve used both. I make a cake with this recipe (tweaked a bit) twice a week and with a little practice I promise this is good enough to fool people into thinking they’re eating real cake.

Chris, as always, thanks for the quick reply. It is much appreciated.

I’ve been talking about making coconut or almond flour bread for quite awhile since I saw the recipes. My darling wife has helped me making the almond milk cheesecake, the fudge (which was great), and an almond flour chocolate cake, which kind of sucked due to using unblanched (but I still ate it, probably due to the awesome frosting.)

Anyways, my wife had been doing great staying away from bread, which she loves. I think she is starting to develop a craving for some bread, so she has been in my ear about ordering some almond and coconut flour, so we can make the bread (and many variations) together. I am very proud of her and dont want her to fall off the bread bandwagon. So I ordered the almond flour and just need to find a place to order the coconut flour from.

Now if I can get my wife off of her skim milk addiction.

Thanks again Chris! We love all (most) of your HSM recipes.

[quote]JimmyJamesJG wrote:

Now if I can get my wife off of her skim milk addiction.

[/quote]

Vanilla almond milk, unsweetened.

When we first started using this we added a little Splenda. Now we don’t. Took just a few weeks to transition to almond milk from Calorie Countdown.

We use it for coffee, recipes, and just drink it by the glass. Very low calorie, low carb, no sugar, Point out to her that it has 40 cals per serving instead of 90 like skim milk. Also, about 2 carbs per cup (1g fiber) vs skim milk’s 13g (12 from sugar).

The only drawback to almond milk is that it’s not a protein source. Fine with me since I’d prefer get my protein from meat, eggs, and Metabolic Drive.

Jimmy-- how come she dont/wont drink almond milk??

Let me add that hemp milk sucks a King Kong sized wang of awfulness. Dirty hippies…