Biotest

Coconut Almonds

[center] Home-Roasted Almonds and Coconut “Fried” Almonds [/center]
The problem with store-bought roasted almonds is that sometimes they use unhealthy oils and refined, cheap salt. They’re also really expensive compared to DIY’ing it at home, plus you’ll find that these recipes below taste better than the canned stuff.

Home-Roasted Almonds

Ingredients:

1 pound whole raw almonds
Unrefined pink sea salt (which contains all the good trace minerals)

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. Spread the almonds out in a couple of baking dishes or on a pizza pan. Because you know you own one, you fat bastard.

3. Bake for 10-12 minutes. If you start to smell the nutty aroma, they’re ready.

4. Sprinkle with salt, let cool, and enjoy.

Coconut “Fried” Almonds

This is my personal favorite.

Ingredients:

Whole raw almonds
Unrefined pink sea salt
Good coconut oil, in spray form or jarred

Directions:

Add a little coconut oil to a very hot pan. Add almonds and toss to coat. Watch them very closely for browning and flip 'em around a lot. Add salt and remove when they’re done to your liking.

Option: Toss on some unsweetened coconut flakes and divide into single-serving baggies. Grab a bag whenever you head out. Give the finger to your co-workers eating whole-grain chocolate chip cookies.

For more almond info and recipes, check my article <a href="http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/food_nazi_nuts_to_you&cr="target=“new”>HERE.

Here’s everything you need.

I’m loving the new Spectrum spray coconut oil, though it will turn solid and clog if your house is on the cooler side.

Ready to rock.

Great article Chris. There’s starting to become a craze when it comes to the claims seen on food labels. It almost seems that people shop strictly on the intentions that the claims made on the product are valid. I know here in Canada that only science based facts on product labels are regulated (i.e. lowers the chance of CVD) but general health claims (i.e. “good for you” or “healthier”) are not regulated by the government at all; however this is under review as we speak and hopefully some changes will be made in the near future. Pretty sad how the general public shops for claims because their nutritional litteracy doesn’t allow them to recognize what’s actually good for them…

Is there any difference between eating raw nuts and eating roasted nuts?

Some recipes I saw on Romaniello’s site awhile back which fit the theme here.

http://www.romanfitnesssystems.com/474/health-snacks/

I’ve tried the cinnamon bun ones but they turn out kind of sticky, I might try to oven roast them to see if that helps out a bit.

Next time I’m at home (college dorm now) I will be trying the coconut version, and I may coat them in some cocoa powder and splenda.

[quote]E99_Curt wrote:
Next time I’m at home (college dorm now) I will be trying the coconut version, and I may coat them in some cocoa powder and splenda.[/quote]

Going to try this one ASAP. Thanks!

Chris, I tend to agree with you about the reduction of carbs to fight the fatties-syndrome. The fact of the matter is, in our present day culture, our activity levels just don’t require that many carbs; our brains may crave it… but we don’t need it and are probably not active enough throughout the day to use them all. Having said that, are carbs from fruits as evil as those from grains?

[quote]HogLover wrote:
Chris, I tend to agree with you about the reduction of carbs to fight the fatties-syndrome. The fact of the matter is, in our present day culture, our activity levels just don’t require that many carbs; our brains may crave it… but we don’t need it and are probably not active enough throughout the day to use them all. Having said that, are carbs from fruits as evil as those from grains?[/quote]

I tend to agree with Dr. Bowden (who was once low-carb but is now more of a reduced/controlled carb guy) in saying that fruit isn’t the devil and certainly isn’t the same as HFCS, even of they share the “F” of fructose. People just don’t get fat from eating apples.

That said, I take the old “eat lots of fruits and veggies” mantra and modify to say “eat lots of veggies and a little fruit.” If the main goal is to get ripped fast, then I’d cut out fruits for a while (maybe keep in a few berries) then once you reach your goal you can maintain that leanness eating a little fruit with no real worries.

Personally, I don’t keep a big fruit bowl in my house, but I don’t sweat using fruits in recipes occasionally or the mandarin oranges on my grilled chicken salad. No fruit juice though.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]PublickStews wrote:

And before you argue with me, look down at your belly. If you’re not happy with what you see, I encourage you to ditch the grains and see if things change… then you can argue with me.[/quote]

Says the guy who hides his abs with a 25 lb plate even in a doctored, shadow trick professional photo shoot.

Carbs don’t make you fat. Excess calories make you fat. Assuming adequate protein, if you eat 1000 kcal over maintenance with avocados and almonds, you will get fatter. Assuming adequate protein, if you eat 500 kcal under maintenance with lots of carbs, you will get leaner.[/quote]

Once again, you have busted me wide open. There is indeed a flabby beer gut and a 42 inch waist hiding behind that massive 25 pound plate. I am slain. Signing up for Biggest Loser now.

[/quote]

Thats like saying driving cross country is the same no matter how you do it. Hiding behind a calories in/calories out mantra is like driving coast to coast in a pinto. It might get you there but it won’t be pretty. I know, I did it, and I didn’t shit right for about six months because I was eating too many carbs and not enough protein and fat.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:

And before you argue with me, look down at your belly. If you’re not happy with what you see, I encourage you to ditch the grains and see if things change… then you can argue with me.[/quote]

Says the guy who hides his abs with a 25 lb plate even in a doctored, shadow trick professional photo shoot.

Carbs don’t make you fat. Excess calories make you fat. Assuming adequate protein, if you eat 1000 kcal over maintenance with avocados and almonds, you will get fatter. Assuming adequate protein, if you eat 500 kcal under maintenance with lots of carbs, you will get leaner.[/quote]

So, if I eat nothing but 3200 kcal of celery, along with my 800 kcal of protein, I’ll get fat. Right, got it!

Coconut “fried” almonds dusted with unsweetened cocoa powder. I also added a little Nevella – basically Splenda with a little probiotic added.

Kcals do matter…but if the macros are out of whack than you have a bigger problem if you are trying to lose body fat!

Coconut “fried” almonds dusted with unsweetened cocoa powder. I also added a little Nevella – basically Splenda with a little probiotic added.
[/quote]

How did it turn out? I’m excited to try this over easter break.

[quote]E99_Curt wrote:

[/quote]

How did it turn out? I’m excited to try this over easter break.
[/quote]

Great. I’ll add more cocoa next time though.

I tried the cocunut oil & almond recipe (without the salt) with some stevia sprinkled on them afterwards. Chris, these are brilliant. Thanks a lot!

Got up early, whew.

What do i eat for pre workouts for an energy rush? Usually my trainer tells me he feels like shit if he doesn’t have carbs before exercising, so do i.
How do i work around the whole pre carb thing?

[quote]Kungfushish wrote:
Got up early, whew.

What do i eat for pre workouts for an energy rush? Usually my trainer tells me he feels like shit if he doesn’t have carbs before exercising, so do i.
How do i work around the whole pre carb thing?[/quote]

1. Go to sleep earlier.

2. Drink Surge Workout Fuel: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/product_information/the_3rd_law_of_muscle

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.