Biotest

Coconut-Almond Pancakes

I bought a ton of coconut flour and it’ll take me forever to eat it as Metabolic Drive paste, so I wanted to make pancakes out of it. I looked at Chris’ recipe and searched around for some tips on dealing with coconut flour. I found a recipe at http://www.nourishingdays.com/2010/07/fluffy-coconut-flour-pancakes/ and changed a few things around:

2/3 cup Coconut flour (Bob’s)
1/3 cup Almond meal (Bob’s)
3 large Eggs (room temp)
4/3 cup Milk (Horizon Organic Whole, I want to make these without milk next time)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Splenda (powdered, in a box)
1 tsp Baking Powder

•     Cinnamon

•     Nutmeg

•     Coconut oil (to fry in; you could probably use avocodo oil or butter too)

1. In a small bowl, beat eggs until frothy. I used a fork and this took like three minutes. Not just the first bubbles, the whole surface should be bubbles. Mix in 2/3 cup milk and vanilla.
  2. In a bigger bowl, whisk together coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, salt, and splenda.
  3. Dump the egg/milk mixture into the flour and whisk it together. Gradually add the additional 2/3 cup of milk as necessary to keep it from filling the inside of your whisk. This ended up being 1 1/3 cup total milk for me, it may vary for you depending on the moisture in all your ingredients. Coconut flour is very temperamental with it’s liquid. The end result should be a thick batter that takes a little bit of shaking to get it to fall off your whisk.
  4. Heat a griddle over HIGH heat (secret to non-dry pancakes). Melt as much coconut oil as you think you’ll need to fry the pancakes. Keep it next to you so you can add more as you cook more pancakes.
  5. Drop big spoonfulls of the batter right ontop of puddles of hot oil. Don’t splash. Slightly spread the pancakes out to around 2 inches in diameter. They should be at least 1/4 inches thick. I suggest cooking one at a time until you find the sweet spot.
  6. When the pancake frees itself and will slide around by moving the griddle (mine has a handle) tip some oil near the sides of it so it cooks a little bit up the side. This makes flipping way easier. Then, use a thin spatula and flip the pancake. Give it two to three seconds and gently mash it down with the spatula. This will keep it from being wet in the middle.
  7. Cook the other side, put them on a plate and eat them.

This much batter made me probably 10 small pancakes. I topped mine with homemade applesauce (with splenda) but you can use yogurt, Metabolic paste, whatever you like.

My goals are to replace all of the milk with a vanilla Metabolic Drive/water/oil combo to really kick these up a notch in power. If anyone has tips with how to do that, please share them!
Thanks, I hope these make someone else’s breakfast better!

What about using almond milk instead? or maybe a mix of almond and heavy cream for a thicker texture? Looks pretty good though.