Biotest

Cocoa-Espresso Bread

Made some bread for breakfast tomorrow to go with a berry-protein shake and a half serving of yogurt.

Turned out pretty well for a first attempt. Not sure exactly how much coconut flour I ended up using as I started with 4 tbsp and had to add more as I added the espresso. Next time I make it I will try adding the espresso at the beginning to help keep the butter from turning back into a solid.

I baked it for 40 minutes. Probably could have used another 5.

This was enough for a 5.75x3 in loaf pan. Will make a larger batch in the future and update the ingredient list.

Ingredients:

2 eggs
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flaxseed meal
6-8 tbsp coconut flour?
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1-2 shots strong espresso
1 tsp baking powder
1 dash salt
1 handful walnuts

Preparation:

1. Mix eggs.
  2. Add espresso and butter.
  3. Add flour, flaxseed meal, cocoa powder.
  4. Add baking powder and dash of salt.
  5. Pour into loaf pan and top with walnuts.

Using an 8 tbsp estimate for my coconut flour, nutrition information for the recipe is:

700 calories
50 g fat ( 4 g omega 3’s )
46 g carbohydrate ( 29 g fiber )
36 g protein

I plan on slicing mine into thirds to cut it down to 200-250 calories per serving to be eaten with other things at breakfast, this being the “dessert” item.

Looks awesome, gunna have to try this.

[quote]jdubs27 wrote:
Looks awesome, gunna have to try this.[/quote]

Thanks.

Let me know how it goes, especially if you use something different for the coffee flavor. I was thinking of using some quality instant coffee to get more coffee flavor with less water, dissolving it into a nice “mud.”

Nice work. Sounds pretty delicious. I’ll have to experiment with flavours geared towards my palette.

I love coconut flour over almond for one reason: tons of fiber, cheaper, and lower overall calories. I don’t mind almond flour since I use it, but it’s too expensive and sometimes the bigger recipes (pizza crust) can be too dense, especially if I haven’t earned the right to eat that much (John Berardi concept).

I baked another loaf. This time I poured the espresso into a measuring cup. Using a 1/3 cup of espresso I used 4 tbsp of coconut flour and it was the right consistency. Must have used closer to 1/2 cup last time which required additional flour.

I ran out of butter, so I left it out this time, and it was a little dry but still pretty good.

Adding the espresso and the cocoa together after mixing the eggs seemed to help the batter come together better this time.

I also sprinkled ground flaxseed on the top of the dough before adding the walnuts this time. Got just about 1 tbsp on top which makes it a little more calorie dense but higher in EFA’s.