Biotest

Cleaning Nalgene Bottles

I use my 1000ml nalgene bottle 4 times a week. From friday until monday it just sits on my counter top. The other day I noticed a few black dots inside. As soon as I’m done using the bottle it gets washed out with water and I shake it a few times to get any residual water left inside. The problem is that the bottle seems to accumulate small droplets which is where the mold or mildew is forming.

The opening is very small making it virtually impossible to get a paper towel in there to dry it. Is there any type of cleaner that should be used? I tried flipping the bottle upside down on a paper towel, but it didn’t solve the problem

I use a SIGG cleaning brush.

http://www.reuseit.com/sigg/sigg-sigg-cleaning-products-bottle-brush.htm

After every use I use one drop of dish soap and warm water with this brush. Also I have several bottles which I alternate so they can dry out all the way.

Once every 2-3 weeks I use a little bleach with warm water to clean them out also. With this protocol I have not had any issues. (Except for the one time I left it un-rinsed in my hot car for 4 days last summer… not a good idea!)

Hope this helps.

A soak in a mild detergent works best if you can’t rinse it right after use. Leave the cap off when drying and don’t leave them sitting upside down (blocks air flow). A standard dish drainer seems to work well.

I feel like I’m missing something. Can’t you just use a dishwasher? I put mine in there all the time. And definitely dry it with the cap off/ opening up.

I don’t think its safe to use a plastic bottle after warm water is in it. Cant chemicals leach from it? Maybe I’m totally wrong about that, who knows?

It’s always a good idea not to heat plastic, even food safe plastic. See TC’s articles on xenoestrogens.

Ahhh, I’ve had this problem with the bottle as well, I’m assuming you’re using th 2000ml you get when you order from Tnation. I’ve tried buying scrub brushes but could never get them into the corners at the top of the bottle due to the shape/angle of the bottle vs brush. I could get the bottom and mid section of the bottle good, but the upper half became a real issue for me.

One other thing you could do is use rice, about 1/2 cup of dry uncooked rice and that serves as an abrasive but even that is limited and a pain in the ass.

In the end, I ditched the large 2000ml bottle and went on amazon and got two smaller cylinder shaped Nalgene bottles 1000ml each and an OXO flexible scrub brush. No more cleaning problems…best move I ever made, was wondering why I put up with that damned large bottle for so many months.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001PT9UAQ/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001PT9UAQ&linkCode=am2&tag=bathstoridea-20

I think this is the same exact one I got, but I picked up two. The thing I liked about two is I could adjust certain ingredients per bottle…or I could just use 1 bottle for water when I’m not in need of a large amount of product.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
It’s always a good idea not to heat plastic, even food safe plastic. See TC’s articles on xenoestrogens. [/quote]

absolutely agree. You can turn the heat off on my dishwasher. Is that not standard?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
It’s always a good idea not to heat plastic, even food safe plastic. See TC’s articles on xenoestrogens. [/quote]

absolutely agree. You can turn the heat off on my dishwasher. Is that not standard?[/quote]

Sure, that would be fine. Nalgene Labware bottles can certainly take the “roughness” of a dishwater.

Note: If you missed it, we’re now offering two smaller Nalgene bottles, 500 and 1000ml, to go along with the 2000ml.

500ml: http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/nalgene-bottle-500-ml

1000ml: http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/nalgene-bottle-1000-ml

Very handy.

[quote]dirkus27 wrote:
I use a SIGG cleaning brush.

http://www.reuseit.com/sigg/sigg-sigg-cleaning-products-bottle-brush.htm

After every use I use one drop of dish soap and warm water with this brush. Also I have several bottles which I alternate so they can dry out all the way.

Once every 2-3 weeks I use a little bleach with warm water to clean them out also. With this protocol I have not had any issues. (Except for the one time I left it un-rinsed in my hot car for 4 days last summer… not a good idea!)

Hope this helps.[/quote]

^This! If they get real funky, fill with water and a few cap fulls of bleach and let sit for a few hours then rinse. My first ever Nalgene bottle i had got run through the dishwasher a thousand time I’m sure, i theorize that the heating and cooling process eventually made it brittle, I dropped it one day at the gym and it shattered like glass. A new Nalgene bottle would only break from a 3 story drop.

A good way to clean the nalgene bottle without high heat or chemicals is using a waterpik if you have one. You can guide it and it knocks off any stuck-on plazma or Mag10 residue.

Put some detergent in the bottle + water. Shake vigorously. Pour out some of the content and fill with more water. Shake more. Pour our some more of the content, refill with more water, more shaking. Pour out all of the content after that, fill with water and shake/swirl, repeat until there’s no sign of soapiness in the water within the bottle. Wipe dry the outside.

Shake really hard out the opening, take a paper towel and get some of the water which accumulates near the top of the bottle, shake really hard again towards the opening, give it another go with the paper towel, do this a few times until all you have inside the bottle are minute droplets of water. Lay the bottle on it’s side and by the end of the day, it should be dry inside the bottle and darn clean.