Biotest

Christian Thibaudeau Update


#107

CT, Checking out the specs on the Oly DB handles and the Kettleclamp, that looks as thought it would hold up really well. Did you buy a specific brand of DB handle, or just purchased something that would serve it’s purpose?


#108

[quote]itisfinished wrote:
CT, Checking out the specs on the Oly DB handles and the Kettleclamp, that looks as thought it would hold up really well. Did you buy a specific brand of DB handle, or just purchased something that would serve it’s purpose? [/quote]

My friend works for a local exercise equipment manufacturer, I bought the dumbbell handle from him. It has to be an “olympic” dumbbell meaning that the sleeves are the same size as those on an regular olympic bar and the handle is 28mm. The 28mm is important because smaller than that you can’t put on the clamp on as tight and when doing a lot of reps it can loosen up.


#109

CT

What are your thoughts on cardiac output work? i.e. performing an activity with HR between 130-150bpm (have seen 120-150 bpm as well) and 100-120 or 130bpm to help with strength and efficiency of the left ventricle. Would that be beneficial for your health condition?

Thanks


#110

[quote]climbon wrote:
CT

What are your thoughts on cardiac output work? i.e. performing an activity with HR between 130-150bpm (have seen 120-150 bpm as well) and 100-120 or 130bpm to help with strength and efficiency of the left ventricle. Would that be beneficial for your health condition?

Thanks[/quote]

Well, it wouldn’t hurt (which is kinda what I’m doing with the treadmill + swings thing) BUT my conditioning isn’t so much heart related. I do have a birth defect and had an heart issue, but the heart and its function are fine. The issue was really the bleeding hemorrhoids that left me with an insufficient amount of red blood cells to shuttle oxygen to the heart. Now that problem is fixed so I believe that my heart will be fine. I still do some “cardio” work to improve its function though.


#111

Have you ever considered adding in raw organic juices to you diet? I don’t mean to sound like a sandal wearing hippy, but I think that might really benefit your condition. I was researching the condition and Vitamin E, D,fish oil and anti-inflammatory foods are extremely beneficial in treating segmental glomerulosclerosis. So stock up on that curcumin & tumeric!


#112

[quote]Grant.fowler10 wrote:
Have you ever considered adding in raw organic juices to you diet? I don’t mean to sound like a sandal wearing hippy, but I think that might really benefit your condition. I was researching the condition and Vitamin E, D,fish oil and anti-inflammatory foods are extremely beneficial in treating segmental glomerulosclerosis. So stock up on that curcumin & tumeric! [/quote]

Already asked J-Rod to send me a lot of bottles. I’m taking 18 caps of Curcumin a day, 8 caps of Flameout, vitamin E, vitamin D too


#113

This may not be something that you would want to post, but as a health care professional, I’m curious about your specific renal condition and would like to help. Do you have access to the labs that were drawn at the time of the diagnosis of FSGS? If so, I’d be glad to look at them and answer specific questions you might have about treatment and prognosis.

Helpful values would be:

Serum Creatinine
Degree of proteinuria (protein in the urine)
Pathology reports of histological findings from the renal biopsy

I am assuming you were given the advice of <0.8g/kg of protein per day and that you are being aggressively treated for hypertension with a ACE-I or ARB. Any details on current treatment would be helpful.

If you are uncomfortable giving this information out in this setting I couldn’t blame you but I wanted to offer any help I could.


#114

[quote]TysonKilpatrick wrote:
This may not be something that you would want to post, but as a health care professional, I’m curious about your specific renal condition and would like to help. Do you have access to the labs that were drawn at the time of the diagnosis of FSGS? If so, I’d be glad to look at them and answer specific questions you might have about treatment and prognosis.

Helpful values would be:

Serum Creatinine
Degree of proteinuria (protein in the urine)
Pathology reports of histological findings from the renal biopsy

I am assuming you were given the advice of <0.8g/kg of protein per day and that you are being aggressively treated for hypertension with a ACE-I or ARB. Any details on current treatment would be helpful.

If you are uncomfortable giving this information out in this setting I couldn’t blame you but I wanted to offer any help I could. [/quote]

I can have those informations only when I meet my doctor for a follow-up, didn’t ask for them in our first meeting.

I am on lopressor and ramipril for blood pressure.


#115

Curcumin has been a staple supplement for me for a couple of years and it helps so much with muscle recovery and joint pain. I just ran out by accident due to a late order and I have been feeling quite beat up since I have been lacking curcumin in my daily supp intake.

I have seen the kettleclamp before but I have to refresh my memory about it. Maybe I’ll get one. I have a t-handle set up which I have loaded 200 lbs on but I can’t use that one for the 10,000 swing challenge(I think that would kill me).


#116

Understandable. The offer is on the table if you get the information and want to talk about it. I’d be glad to go over the available research and current evidence for protein restriction in your particular case if it would interest you.

Without knowing the details of your past medical history in enough detail to make official medical advice, I will venture to comment on the meds carefully.

The ramipril is vital to slowing the progression of the disease and the dose should maximized if you can tolerate it. However, the lopressor is most likely a bad idea. Beta blockade is a terrible choice for general blood pressure control in the absense of compelling indications such as confirmed MI (heart attack) or CHF. You have mentioned that you have had systolic heart failure diagnosed in the past but you posted recently that it was transient and not a permanent condition. If you do have CHF then the beta blocker is non-negotiable. We would need to explore that further, but if you do not have a diagnosis of heart failure then I would suggest talking to your MD about titrating off the lopressor and increasing the ramipril to reach your blood pressure goals. The reason is that, lopressor will negatively impact athletic performance and may hinder fat loss as a side effect (I suspect those things might be important to you). The most recent guidelines concerning hypertension have also recommended against beta blockers for most patients.

I will check this thread if you have any questions or if I can help in any way.


#117

[quote]TysonKilpatrick wrote:
Understandable. The offer is on the table if you get the information and want to talk about it. I’d be glad to go over the available research and current evidence for protein restriction in your particular case if it would interest you.

Without knowing the details of your past medical history in enough detail to make official medical advice, I will venture to comment on the meds carefully.

The ramipril is vital to slowing the progression of the disease and the dose should maximized if you can tolerate it. However, the lopressor is most likely a bad idea. Beta blockade is a terrible choice for general blood pressure control in the absense of compelling indications such as confirmed MI (heart attack) or CHF. You have mentioned that you have had systolic heart failure diagnosed in the past but you posted recently that it was transient and not a permanent condition. If you do have CHF then the beta blocker is non-negotiable. We would need to explore that further, but if you do not have a diagnosis of heart failure then I would suggest talking to your MD about titrating off the lopressor and increasing the ramipril to reach your blood pressure goals. The reason is that, lopressor will negatively impact athletic performance and may hinder fat loss as a side effect (I suspect those things might be important to you). The most recent guidelines concerning hypertension have also recommended against beta blockers for most patients.

I will check this thread if you have any questions or if I can help in any way. [/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate this and will certainly take you up on the offer. I’ll talk to my cardiologists about the lopressor… in fact I stopped using it on my own a few years back for that very reason. I do not suffer from chronic heart failure so it’s not an issue. Thanks a ton for your recommendations!


#118

I’m glad to help. I have treated many athletes and have seen beta blockers (BB) absolutely crush them if used indescriminately so your experience is typical. If you don’t have an indication like CHF then we need to get rid of it. Even if you do, there are “better” BB’s on the market, so if your cardiologist pushes back for some reason we can counter with an alternative. We’ll get you fixed up, you’re not alone in this.


#119

[quote]TysonKilpatrick wrote:
I’m glad to help. I have treated many athletes and have seen beta blockers (BB) absolutely crush them if used indescriminately so your experience is typical. If you don’t have an indication like CHF then we need to get rid of it. Even if you do, there are “better” BB’s on the market, so if your cardiologist pushes back for some reason we can counter with an alternative. We’ll get you fixed up, you’re not alone in this. [/quote]

I’m almost overwhelmed with your help, I really appreciate this. Feels weird to receive some help on the forum where I am normally the one doing the helping.


#120

I have two questions…are you still on blood pressure meds now? And how does micro pa affect blood pressure in general?

Sorry just saw that you were on two blood pressure meds I’m on metaprolol tartrate which is basically lopresor so I guess that micro pa has either no effects or positive effects on blood pressure


#121

Please don’t mention it. I’m sure we feel similarly about sharing the things we are paid to know. I rarely post but felt compelled to help a fellow comrade if I could. If you won’t mind the inquisition I’ll be here every step of the way.

epndg:

The mechanism of this new supplement will in no way have an effect on blood pressure or interact with your medication.


#122

@tysonkilpatrick… You said that there are other bb’s that you would recommend over lopresor…I never feel great when I train anymore I lack energy and I feel it’s because of lopresor I’d like to go to my doc and see if I can offer some alternatives…the reason I was prescribed lopresor was for blood pressure and because it lowered my heart rate since I had an elevated heart rate if you can give some advice to a fellow t nation member that would be awesome"…also coach thibs I’m sorry you’ve gone through this but you are an inspiration in the way you are handling it Bonne chance!


#123

@epndg:

As I said earlier, using BB’s for the management of blood pressure in the absense of other compelling indications (past heart attack or CHF are examples), is an outdated methodology and one that should be readressed with your MD. They are largely ineffective in reducing long term morbidity and mortality and have significant side effects, particularly for athletes (poor exercise tolerance, inhibition of fat loss, etc). The most recent guidelines have relegated them to 4th or 5th line therapy. If you have tachycardia or a fast heart rate but you don’t have a concommitant arrhythmia such as A-fib (atrial fibrillation) then it would be advisable to consider getting your blood pressure under control with an alternative class of medication.

I am not going to highjack this thread to give medical advice but I would be glad to help you if you want to start a new thread and direct me to it. I will need more information about you before making any recommendations.


#124

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]TysonKilpatrick wrote:
I’m glad to help. I have treated many athletes and have seen beta blockers (BB) absolutely crush them if used indescriminately so your experience is typical. If you don’t have an indication like CHF then we need to get rid of it. Even if you do, there are “better” BB’s on the market, so if your cardiologist pushes back for some reason we can counter with an alternative. We’ll get you fixed up, you’re not alone in this. [/quote]

I’m almost overwhelmed with your help, I really appreciate this. Feels weird to receive some help on the forum where I am normally the one doing the helping.[/quote]

That’s awesome. This is why I love this place. There’s a community here beneath the internet trolls that likes to look out for each other, and we have some very knowledgeable people that volunteer! :slight_smile:


#125

just messed this message up - went back in to edit and will post in the questions/coaching section


#126

Sorry I am just now reading this. I am sorry about your health issues, but extremely thankful for your outlook and determination. It is definitely inspiring to see my all time favorite coach go through this with integrity and heart. I do have a question about what you are currently doing.

On the basic strength workouts ,which are 3 days a week, you are doing 2 eccentric sets and 3 working sets for each exercise that day correct? So that would be dead lift, bench, pull-ups, and push press all on the same day correct? Also what are you doing for warm ups just using the bar and light loads to get used to the movement? Thank you