Biotest

Christian Thibaudeau Log 3

[quote]Akidara wrote:
Hello CT,

I know talking about older training programs is like talking about an ex girlfriend for you, however a short question about the original layer system . Back in 2013 THE main lift used in the layer system was the SGHP. Would you still use it as one of the PowerLook Layer System Main Lifts or change it for a continuous clean and press ?

I remember you outlined a Layer for a member (hawaituna) who wanted to do � a push pull meet. It was :
Day 1 BenchÃ?Â
Day 2 Deadlift
Day 3 slight decline bench from pins
Day 4 SGHP � from blocks

Would you still set it up that way?

Thanks in advance!:)[/quote]

Both would be good. Remember that a program is only as good as the time it takes to adapt to it. From experience you get maximum results in 5 maybe 6 weeks with layers. So I would do 4-6 week cycles and change the exercises slightly with each new cycle.

UPDATE

Now that my health is getting pretty darn good, feeling healthier than I’ve ever remember feeling for at least 10 years I will try to get pretty large again, shooting to get back to the 222-228lb range which has always been my best look. I’m 212 now.

I will start an aggressive supplement plan revolving around peri-workout nutrition.

60-75 minutes pre-workout I’ll have 6 capsules of MICRO-PA because I will use training method that are heavily reliant on maximizing mTor actication.

20-30 minutes pre-workout I’ll have 2 scoops of PLAZMA

During the workout I will have 1-2 more scoops of PLAZMA

20-30 minutes post workout I will have 1-2 scoops of SURGE RECOVERY

60-90 minutes post workout I’ll have 2-3 scoop of whey protein and 30 minutes later a solid meal.

The reason I will use SURGE RECOVERY post-workout is that it will allow me to continue flooding the body with nutrients to fuel growth without overloading on electrolytes since I’m prone to high blood pressure (genetic) when I gain weight and have a high sodium intake.

@ct.
2 scoops Plazma pre, and 1-2 peri.
I’ve been using 1 pre and 2 peri, and with the GF workout that I’m doing now, I feel like increasing my intake to 3 peri.
You are using more in the preload.
Can you share your thoughts on this?

@dave… best regards

Glad to hear you are doing better CT!
Are you still using MAG-10?

[quote]AbsoluteBoxer wrote:
Glad to hear you are doing better CT!
Are you still using MAG-10? [/quote]

Yes, 1 serving upon waking up and 1 serving somewhere during the day depending on my schedule

Hey CT. If you wouldn’t mind taking a look… Here is my final set of power snatches from today’s training. I think my bar path and pull are getting better. But i still feel like I’m having trouble getting everything locked out overhead explosively. Thank you

CT what training methods are you using to get back to your biggest? Are you training in a way that you know is the best way for you to gain size, or are you, as you said you do a lot, trying out and experimenting with new methods?

[quote]J Moose wrote:
Hey CT. If you wouldn’t mind taking a look… Here is my final set of power snatches from today’s training. I think my bar path and pull are getting better. But i still feel like I’m having trouble getting everything locked out overhead explosively. Thank you

https://youtu.be/Wbcrv54Ojz8[/quote]

It’s because you are catching it too upright and as a result you must pull the bar higher, which delays getting under and makes it harder to lock everything explosively. There really shouldn’t be a huge difference between power snatch depth and full snatch depth when your goal is to excel in the Olympic lifts (for power development it’s another story)… imagine catching a full snatch high, not doing a power snatch.

When you catch the barbell your hips should shoot back more explosively (that is what initiate the “move under” phase… not squatting down, punching your hips back. At the same time the torso moves forward (leaning forward) at the same speed… your torso is too upright to allow for an efficient move under the barbell.

For what it’s worth the last rep is the best one. Your hips are a bit further back. Your torso is still a bit too upright and you are still about 6" too high

[quote]DIPS33 wrote:
CT what training methods are you using to get back to your biggest? Are you training in a way that you know is the best way for you to gain size, or are you, as you said you do a lot, trying out and experimenting with new methods?[/quote]

I’m going with what works for me. I’m not experimenting at the moment. I’ve done a lot of experimentation over the past year. Now I will focus on results until I’m where I want to be.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/e/6/e6993_ORIG-IMG_1062.jpg

The weird moment where your wife shows up with a t-shirt of yourself.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]J Moose wrote:

https://youtu.be/Wbcrv54Ojz8[/quote]

It’s because you are catching it too upright and as a result you must pull the bar higher, which delays getting under and makes it harder to lock everything explosively. There really shouldn’t be a huge difference between power snatch depth and full snatch depth when your goal is to excel in the Olympic lifts (for power development it’s another story)… imagine catching a full snatch high, not doing a power snatch.

When you catch the barbell your hips should shoot back more explosively (that is what initiate the “move under” phase… not squatting down, punching your hips back. At the same time the torso moves forward (leaning forward) at the same speed… your torso is too upright to allow for an efficient move under the barbell.

For what it’s worth the last rep is the best one. Your hips are a bit further back. Your torso is still a bit too upright and you are still about 6" too high[/quote]

Ok. Awesome info coach. Thanks so much for the feedback and quick response. I’ll try and incorporate it next week.

[quote]J Moose wrote:
@CT- did a super intense assault bike workout today that I got from CF guru Chris Spealler.

Every minute on the minute for 15 minutes:
15 cal bike + 1 burpee
14 cal bike + 2 burpee
13 cal bike + 3 burpee
Continue until you don1 cal bike + 15 burpee

Very hard metcon. It was about all I could handle. Very Happy I got through
it.

[/quote]
@moose,
just did a scaled down version of this(10min,10 cal + 1 burpee etc)
NASTY!, will start at 11 next time and build up.
Do you have any other metcons involving the assault bike?, I’m loving 20sec max effort followed by a 60sec loaded carry x 6-8 at the moment

Hello,
A question about correcting lower body imbalance (other glute is bigger than the other and opposite quad is bigger than the other). What approach would you use? I am doing crossfit, programmed as 3 days weightlifting and 2 days skills & conditioning.
option 1 - use unilateral excercises as squat/weightlifting assistance
option 2 - unilateral excercises as warm up
option 3 - skip squatting for a period and do only unilateral excercises
The imbalance is big enough to cause unneccesary stiffnes in lower back, glutes and legs. I think it is caused by mixed grip deadlifting couple of years ago and it propably wont go away if there is not done anything correcting actions?
Another option could be deadlift as assistance with opposite mixed grip?
Thanks,
-Sami

Well the first thing I would do is look into postural issues that you might have. For example if one leg is longer than the other it might lead to imbalances. For example my left leg I longer than my right one and as a result my left glute is larger and my right quad is larger.

If a leg length difference is the main reason for the imbalance you might need orthotics.

For a while squatting lighter and ideally in front of a mirror might help… go slow on both the eccentric and concentric, focusing on pushing the knees out and trying to keep everything symmetrical. If you don’t have a mirror, film yourself from behind to see if you are shifting one side or the other.

Hello CT,

Two questions if you don’t mind.

1.) I started to do overhead presses in the smith machine - awesome exercise for me. Is it dangerous if I “shrug” with my shoulders in the lock out position? Normally my shoulder is locked in and down but is that okay when I shrug them like in an overhead shrug? I think I have read that in an article here on t-nation, it’s good to build the traps. However is that also safe?

2.) quote: by CT, first page from this log, about the preplin chart:

“TOO LITTLE MECHANICAL WORK WILL NOT LEAD TO LASTING GAINS: To stimulate gains you need a certain volume of overall work. Too few “work repetitions” and you won’t develop the capacity of the nervous system to recruit muscle fibers in an optimal pattern and you won’t stimulate the muscles to get stronger.”

My question is not directly to the quote related, but it has the same topic. Every time you train you want to get a certain response from your body…

Question: How do I know that I have done enough work in a given exercise or training session to get that “response”?

I think it depends on your training method and what kind of goal and adaptions you want to see. For example if you want to build muscle via metabolic stress and perform a growth factor workout. Your goal is to maximize the pump in the muscle. If you start to lose the pump you have done too much and if you could get more “pumped” you have done too less.

Another example: You start with deadlifts as a main exercise and then you make good mornings as assistance exercise to strengthen the weak link in your deadlift. How do you know that you need 4 sets of good mornings instead of 3? Or maybe 5?

Thanks in advance ! Your wife has a nice t-shirt haha

1. It was probably me who said to shrug up at the top of the overhead press since it’s something I teach. And yes you can do that with the OH press in the Smith machine too.

2. This is a more complex answer. With the big compound movements when using moderate/heavy weight (75-90%) the best total number of work reps seems to be between 20 and 25.

For more “bodybuilding/pump” work it is a bit more complex since you need to be well aware of your body but I typically stop when a set doesn’t bring a greater pump feeling than the preceding one. Typically for me that is 3-4 sets for a pump movement.

Okay thank you for your answers! Yes it was probably an article by you.

@masfonos- the possibilities are endless but one that I like, stolen from CT is

Max effort for 45 seconds
Rest 20 seconds
(Insert any other movement here) for 30 seconds
Rest 90 seconds
Repeat 4-5 more times

I did it the other day with 30# wall balls. Ended up being 15 wall balls every round. Great workout. You can do the same thing with burpees, thrusters, front squats, kettle bell swings… You really want to step it up a notch? Try with an elevation mask on!!! That gets real interesting

@Christian_Thibaudeau hello again coach. Last week I posted a video of some power snatches. You instructed me that my hips need to be back further, my torso further forward and my catch depth about 6" lower. I tried to incorporate those changes this week. I would greatly appreciate if you could take a look.

Another issue I seem to have is that my elbows just won’t lock out so I’m struggling to get that bar into the perfect spot overhead. Does it look that way to you? You have any cues or ideas how I might go about fixing my “soft elbows?”

Once again, thank you very much

Yeah, you need to actively learn to “punch the ceiling” at the same time as your hips are punching back. The best drill to learn to do this is the muscle snatch really emphasizing punching up (and not doing something that resemble a front raise/external rotating thing). What’s the video in the article Chris Shugart and I wrote on the muscle snatch/overhead carries for a video. ( https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/v-taper-workout )

When you are good at punching fast, complex 2 muscles snatches with 1-2 power snatches and eventually 1 muscle + 1 power + 1 full snatch