Biotest

Christian Thibaudeau Log 3

[quote]Akidara wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Akidara wrote:
Hello CT ,

Do you still use a westside inspired approache?

I dont know how to describe my question, whats the role of neural efficency in building muscle? What i mean is in strenght sports for a competition you need a high neural efficency in the competiton lifts, but for buidling muscle you often hear “always change,the body adapts…” I hope you ubderstand what i mean…

Thanks in advance CT! [/quote]

No, it didn’t give the results I wanted and I reinjured my shoulder, it also left me neutrally drained. I went back to my roots and I am now using the methods that make me strong and muscular in the first place… lots of isometrics, eccentrics and mixed methods. In 2 weeks I’m already seeing drastic changes in how my physique looks. Much harder looking, shoulders have improved and I have zero pain.

The nervous system is VERY important. It is the nervous system that recruits the muscle fibers. The more efficient it is, the more fibers you can recruit. The more fibers you can recruit the more growth you can stimulate.[/quote]

Thanks for the fast answer, sad to hear about your shoulder. Do you still experiment with the tricep machine?

About neural efficency: from reading the westside articles they say after 3 workouts you should xhange RE exercises…
[/quote]

I changed exercises even more often than that, still killed my nervous system. I believe that those who are “built” to be elite powerlifters are neutrally wired to handle that type of stimulation, but not everybody is like that.

My shoulder is fine now, better than it has been in 6 years.

Hey CT hope all is well.
I know how much you hate reposts so I apologize in advance. I was wondering if you could chime in if you had any thoughts on the questions I posted in the thread " program for strength and athleticism".

Also kind of random. What is your preferred grip for barbell rows? And do you have any particular technique for the row machine (ergometer)

Thanks again!

Regarding programming loaded carries into Layer system, I’ve seen you say that they can go in as the HDL portion of training. Do you have a general metric as far as weights/distances/sets go? Also, in terms of carry selection, I’m interested in farmer walks, zercher walks, overhead walks, and tire flips (kind of the outlier here) - are these all good choices?

This is my favorite template and I love the variety I can get out of it for different needs! Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I recently rediscovered and old love of mine: isometrics. They used to play a huge part of my own training back when I made the most size and strength gains and I decided to focus on them once again. I use 4 different types of isometrics in my own training.

1. Yielding isometrics (holding a weight in place). I most often use 75 second holds but also shorter or longer depending on the exercise…
  1. Overcoming isometrics (pushing against an inmovable object as hard as possible. I use sets of 6 seconds and use two positions per lift.
  1. Functional isometrics where I lift a weigh up from pins, for 1" then hold for 6 seconds, working up to the heaviest weight I can hold for 6 seconds
  1. Mixed regimen where I contrast static holds and reps in the same set. A method I really like is holding 10 seconds, doing 5-10 reps, holding 10 seconds, doing 5-10 reps, holding 10 seconds, doing 5-10 reps… this is one set.

I just completed a new 12 weeks program using heavy lifting ,isometric and eccentric methods to build size and strength. I just have a few more videos to shoot and it will be ready to go!

great! I looked forward, miam!

it will be possible to make the program into a home gym?
with free weights and bands to replace machines or cables ?

[quote]SWAT06 wrote:
great! I looked forward, miam!

it will be possible to make the program into a home gym?
with free weights and bands to replace machines or cables ?
[/quote]

No machines or cable are included in the program. Only a glute ham raise bench and dip station might be problematic but the glute ham raise can be replaced by natural glute ham raise

I uploaded the two missing example videos in the post about isometrics

terribles , les vidéos !
vraiment curieux de lire comment le programme sera construit autour de toutes ces méthodes .

Hi Thib, in CF GPP, if you have 4 strength days, its 1 day for deadlift pattern, 1 squat pattern, 1 vertical pattern and 1 horizontal pattern?? Or you can mix DL+SQ and Vert+Hor in the same day??
if you choose Regular deadlift as main exercise what do you recommend? Ramping, 70% lot of work? Im worried about recovery and deadlift… Thx

Dear Thibs,
Firstly thank you very much for all your contributions. I am very much looking forward to seeing you when you come to Ireland soon. My question is regarding a push pull legs split. I understand it doesnt really fall into your current training principles but am trying to increase frequency. I am training mainly for hypertrophy but do plan on working in the lower rep ranges too. I was thinking of the first 3 sessions being more strenght focused and have one of squat bench dead in each of the three push pull legs split. the second three would then be more purely hypertrophy based, with the excercises being in the 6 to 15 rep ranges and more joint friendly movements.
I am wondering how would you structure it

[quote]MVN wrote:
Hi Thib, in CF GPP, if you have 4 strength days, its 1 day for deadlift pattern, 1 squat pattern, 1 vertical pattern and 1 horizontal pattern?? Or you can mix DL+SQ and Vert+Hor in the same day??
if you choose Regular deadlift as main exercise what do you recommend? Ramping, 70% lot of work? Im worried about recovery and deadlift… Thx[/quote]

With crossfit athletes we normally stick to one strength movement pattern per day since they are already doing a lot of volume on other work and likely have an Olympic lift in there too.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/a/3/a300e_ORIG-IMG_1047.jpg

I’m currently in Sint Maarten in the Dutch Antilles to give a seminar at the local Crossfit gym. Now, talk about a nice host… in my hotel room there was PLAZMA, SURGE RECOVERY, BRAIN CANDY and CURCUMIN (my stable supplements) waiting for me!!!

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/c/6/c6d7c_ORIG-IMG_1046.jpg

Also gave me a shirt highlighting my visit!

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/8/8/88fd1_ORIG-IMG_1044.jpg

… and of course the view from our hotel room ain’t bad either

Been a tough 10 days… I left for Dublin, Ireland for a 3 day seminar on the 8th… came back on the 13th, then left for Sint Maarten on the 15th. Basically living in airports.

While I’m here I’m actually using PLAZMA several times throughout the day. We sweat so much that I need to replenish my electrolytes otherwise I look like a marathon runner!!! PLAZMA helps me stay fuller looking to look good on the beach :slight_smile:

Hello CT,

It’s been quite a while since I lasted posted in your forum although I follow it daily. It’s great to see you doing so well. That is a pretty sweet gig you’ve got going there traveling and doing seminars. Dublin is a great town - I spent 8 days in Ireland back in June myself. I only spent 2 days in Dublin and drove out to the Atlantic coast and then looped around south before returning to Dublin. Its an incredible country.

If you get a chance at some point I was wondering what you would recommend as a follow up to your Athlete Lean, Athlete Strong program. I am in my third cycle of it and I’ve been separating the cycles with two weeks of ‘opposite training’ as per another of your articles. I really enjoy the program and I’ve seen great results. With each cycle I’ve stuck with the set/rep schemes on the strength work and increased the weights each time and with the conditioning portions I’ve found ways to increase the difficulty with each new cycle.

I have been training around some significant injuries for the last year. Some old knee issues became aggravated badly a year ago and it turns out I have two tears in the meniscus but they are not typical tears and one of the best knee guys in the country has recommended against surgery for now as I’ve been able to train without pain as long as I don’t do heavy back squats. I’ve been doing front squats, Prowler, Deadsquats, and sumo deadlifts with no issues.

I also have several tears in my left shoulder due to some bone spurring and for a while I couldn’t even do a push up. I’ve worked around that too and I’m training pain free with floor presses now and overhead work doesn’t hurt at all. I’m likely heading in for surgery to remove the bone spur and possible repair the torn tendons in January.

Anyway, despite the injuries I’ve had great success with your Athlete Lean program and I’ve leaned down alot and my work capacity is much improved. I even gave one of the Crossfit Wod standard workouts (Linda) a go for the first time a couple weeks ago and I got third place in the gym I train at beating guys half my age that train Crossfit all the time. If you have any recommendations on a follow up plan to Athlete Lean I’d greatly appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks CT.

Dave-G

@CT- did a super intense assault bike workout today that I got from CF guru Chris Spealler.

Every minute on the minute for 15 minutes:
15 cal bike + 1 burpee
14 cal bike + 2 burpee
13 cal bike + 3 burpee
Continue until you don1 cal bike + 15 burpee

Very hard metcon. It was about all I could handle. Very Happy I got through it.

[quote]J Moose wrote:
@CT- did a super intense assault bike workout today that I got from CF guru Chris Spealler.

Every minute on the minute for 15 minutes:
15 cal bike + 1 burpee
14 cal bike + 2 burpee
13 cal bike + 3 burpee
Continue until you don1 cal bike + 15 burpee

Very hard metcon. It was about all I could handle. Very Happy I got through it.
[/quote]

Sounds highly unpleasant

Hello CT,

I know talking about older training programs is like talking about an ex girlfriend for you, however a short question about the original layer system . Back in 2013 THE main lift used in the layer system was the SGHP. Would you still use it as one of the PowerLook Layer System Main Lifts or change it for a continuous clean and press ?

I remember you outlined a Layer for a member (hawaituna) who wanted to do  a push pull meet. It was :
Day 1 BenchÂ
Day 2 Deadlift
Day 3 slight decline bench from pins
Day 4 SGHP Â from blocks

Would you still set it up that way?

Thanks in advance!:slight_smile: