Biotest

Christian Thibaudeau Log 3

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]tontongg wrote:
coach,
I’m not sure if you posted this somewhere on the internet but I read you writing a few times about an article that would explain how some people need a program when others don’t.
[/quote]

https://www.T-Nation.com/blogs/secret-to-training-motivation[/quote]

Thanks! Had missed it

CT- just read your “7 thing you need to dominate crossfit” article. Another great read!!!

It just seems to me like there are still so many areas to address to become a well rounded CF athlete.

Personally my engine is my biggest strength so I can focus on other things. Additionally, the Olympic lifts are my biggest weakness so currently I am prioritizing those (snatch, clean and jerk and their many variations).

Then there’s everything else, many of which you mention in the article. Between all the body weight movements, loaded carries, running, grip strength, core strength, kettlebells work, barbell cycling, etc. it just doesn’t seem like there are enough days in the week to address all of these things without neglecting others.

So, for someone who is never going to be a Games athlete but would like to compete on a local level and put up some solid results in the Open, how would u prioritize weekly training?

[quote]J Moose wrote:
CT- just read your “7 thing you need to dominate crossfit” article. Another great read!!!

It just seems to me like there are still so many areas to address to become a well rounded CF athlete.

Personally my engine is my biggest strength so I can focus on other things. Additionally, the Olympic lifts are my biggest weakness so currently I am prioritizing those (snatch, clean and jerk and their many variations).

Then there’s everything else, many of which you mention in the article. Between all the body weight movements, loaded carries, running, grip strength, core strength, kettlebells work, barbell cycling, etc. it just doesn’t seem like there are enough days in the week to address all of these things without neglecting others.

So, for someone who is never going to be a Games athlete but would like to compete on a local level and put up some solid results in the Open, how would u prioritize weekly training?[/quote]

Divide each training day as follow:

SECTION 1. Gymnastic/bodyweight practice 20 minutes
SECTION 2. Olympic lift, 1 main lift/day (20-30 minutes)
SECTION 3. Strength, 1 main lift/day (can also use complex) (20 minutes)
SECTION 4. WOD/metcon that is more strength based (can include carries, big lifts, Olympic lifts and the more complex bodyweigh skills)… time cap of 12-15 minutes
SECTION 5. WOD/metcon that is more “energy system” oriented… lactate threshold work, oxygen deficit, etc… time cap of 15-20 minutes

Total training time: Between 90 and 120 minutes + 15 for mobility/activation

For the Olympic lifts we alternate clean & jerk and snatch days most of the time (unless the athlete has a severe weakness in one of them). We have 3 different types of workouts:

1. Technique acquisition: normally the intensity is 70-80% and we most often use either assistance lifts focusing on the athlete’s problem area (e.g. snatch with pause below knees if first pull is a problem) or a complex of the assistance exercise + the full lift… for example if someone tends to cut his pull short we could do 2 power snatch from hang + 1 squat snatch.

2. Strength/performance: here the intensity is either in the 80-89% zone for multiple sets of 2-3 reps or in the 90-100% zone for sets of 1-2 reps. Depending on the training phase we can use either the full lift or a variation (power, hang, blocks, etc.).

3. Strength-Capacity: here the goal is to perform at a fairly high level with incomplete rest periods. I like EMOMs or “Death-by” for this. (Death-by means that you do a set at the beginning of every minute, every minute you add one rep to the set until you can’t complete the set within the minute).

For strength work I like an approach similar to Defranco’s WS4SB… we have two upper and two lower body days. One is a max effort day (for us it’s working up to a 1,2 or 3RM or using high intensity methods like clusters, paused reps, etc.) and one is a repetitive effort day (higher reps, 8-12 per set or using extended sets methods like rest-pause, 5-4-3-2-1 HDL, hard 5s, etc.). We use a different lift on both days and they are changed every 3 weeks.

Skills, strength exercises or carries not trained in the first sections can be included in the WODs. I like to at least “touch” everything at least once per week even if it is not “trained” in the sense that us with a bodybuilding/strength training define the word.

We devote one day a week to longer WODs and Team WODs and there is not strength, bodyweight or Olympic lifting section on that day.

Any recommendations on frequency and volume parameters using this if hypertrophy/physique still a focus? Thanks beyond thanks…

I find it very interesting to see you…almost change. Where you first were far more, like bulgarian or even russian in your approach (just what I feel) and now shift more to a more Westside - ish school of thought.

More of a practical question, lately I try to form a sort of own “compass”: to lead me to rough goals to keep working to.
Sport performance, strenght and aesthetics are my main goals, but those goals are so…abstract.
What would you think of this as a “compass”: getting the 3RM on these lifts up (5RM for pulls):
vert push: military press, push press, behind the neck press
vert pull: chin - up (supinated, pronated, neutral)
horz push: bench, incline bench, dips
horz pull: DB row(kroc maybe), seal row, bend over row (underhand)
hinge: sumo deadlift, conventional deadlift, RDL
squat: high bar back, front, zercher
carry: yoke, zercher, farmer
olympic: push jerk, hang power snatch, hang power clean.

Ussualy workout structure:
MOBILITY/WARMUP
EXPLOSVE
STRENGTH GIANT SET
ACCESORY GIANT SET
(stole the gaint sets from Alpha, love the guy, worth a look here at T Nation)

Get those moving up. Plug them in anything: power look, DUP, cube, westside - ish, maybe some stuff Alpha designs.
Hope to get some input coach.

[quote]-Sigil- wrote:
Any recommendations on frequency and volume parameters using this if hypertrophy/physique still a focus? Thanks beyond thanks… [/quote]

it’s not for hypertrophy, it is specifically for Crossfit. It’s kinda like if I posted a template about how I train sprinters and you asked what are the parameters if size is your main goal.

[quote]J Moose wrote:

So, for someone who is never going to be a Games athlete but would like to compete on a local level and put up some solid results in the Open, how would u prioritize weekly training?[/quote]

SECTION 4. WOD/metcon that is more strength based (can include carries, big lifts, Olympic lifts and the more complex bodyweigh skills)… time cap of 12-15 minutes
SECTION 5. WOD/metcon that is more “energy system” oriented… lactate threshold work, oxygen deficit, etc… time cap of 15-20 minutes

For the Olympic lifts we alternate clean & jerk and snatch days most of the time (unless the athlete has a severe weakness in one of them). We have 3 different types of workouts:

1. Technique acquisition: normally the intensity is 70-80% and we most often use either assistance lifts focusing on the athlete’s problem area (e.g. snatch with pause below knees if first pull is a problem) or a complex of the assistance exercise + the full lift… for example if someone tends to cut his pull short we could do 2 power snatch from hang + 1 squat snatch.

2. Strength/performance: here the intensity is either in the 80-89% zone for multiple sets of 2-3 reps or in the 90-100% zone for sets of 1-2 reps. Depending on the training phase we can use either the full lift or a variation (power, hang, blocks, etc.).

3. Strength-Capacity: here the goal is to perform at a fairly high level with incomplete rest periods. I like EMOMs or “Death-by” for this. (Death-by means that you do a set at the beginning of every minute, every minute you add one rep to the set until you can’t complete the set within the minute).

For strength work I like an approach similar to Defranco’s WS4SB… we have two upper and two lower body days. One is a max effort day (for us it’s working up to a 1,2 or 3RM or using high intensity methods like clusters, paused reps, etc.) and one is a repetitive effort day (higher reps, 8-12 per set or using extended sets methods like rest-pause, 5-4-3-2-1 HDL, hard 5s, etc.). We use a different lift on both days and they are changed every 3 weeks.

Skills, strength exercises or carries not trained in the first sections can be included in the WODs. I like to at least “touch” everything at least once per week even if it is not “trained” in the sense that us with a bodybuilding/strength training define the word.

We devote one day a week to longer WODs and Team WODs and there is not strength, bodyweight or Olympic lifting section on that day.

[/quote]

Ah is see, makes perfect sense. More great stuff coach.

How do you track progression with the Olympic and strength lifts? Are you using percentages? Are you performing certain movements every week and looking to just add weight from week to week? Are their linear progressions?

Thanks again

[quote]J Moose wrote:

[quote]J Moose wrote:

[/quote]

Ah is see, makes perfect sense. More great stuff coach.

How do you track progression with the Olympic and strength lifts? Are you using percentages? Are you performing certain movements every week and looking to just add weight from week to week? Are their linear progressions?

Thanks again
[/quote]

No, it’s more of a Westside-ish approach of rotating the lifts every 3 weeks and working up heavy (on the max effort day). Sometimes we thrown in methods like slow eccentrics, 1/6 contrasts, paused lifts, etc. but we normally always go as heavy as we can for the selected number of reps/method on the strength lifts. On the Olympic lifts it depends on the technical proficiency of the lifter, we don’t go all out or to a max if technique isn’t super solid.

Here’s an example from next week…

24/08/2015
A) 30 Strict Chest to bar Pull ups (hollow rock position)

• 1 min Rest -

AMRAP 2 min
Chest to bar Pull ups

• 1 min Rest -

AMRAP 3 min
Bar Muscle ups (To count the rep, you must keep your feet together)

B) Snatch work up to 1RM
Then reduce the weight by 10lbs and SUCCEED with 10 sets of 1. You have 15 attempts to do the 10 successful lifts. If you can’t do 10 reps in 15 attempts or less do 50 burpees box jumps.

C) CONTRAST (repeat 3 times)
3 Partial Back Squats = 120 degrees (1/3 Rep) @100%

• 20 sec Rest -

15-20 full Back Squats @ challenging weight

• 20 sec Rest -

20 Front Rockers
Rest = as needed

D) DOUBLE ISABEL
60 Snatchs for time (135/95)

E) 2 ROUNDS FOR TIME
400m DB Farmer Walk (35/25)
400m Row

Here’s an example from next week…

24/08/2015
A) 30 Strict Chest to bar Pull ups (hollow rock position)

• 1 min Rest -

AMRAP 2 min
Chest to bar Pull ups

• 1 min Rest -

AMRAP 3 min
Bar Muscle ups (To count the rep, you must keep your feet together)

B) Snatch work up to 1RM
Then reduce the weight by 10lbs and SUCCEED with 10 sets of 1. You have 15 attempts to do the 10 successful lifts. If you can’t do 10 reps in 15 attempts or less do 50 burpees box jumps.

C) CONTRAST (repeat 3 times)
3 Partial Back Squats = 120 degrees (1/3 Rep) @100%

• 20 sec Rest -

15-20 full Back Squats @ challenging weight

• 20 sec Rest -

20 Front Rockers
Rest = as needed

D) DOUBLE ISABEL
60 Snatchs for time (135/95)

E) 2 ROUNDS FOR TIME
400m DB Farmer Walk (35/25)
400m Row

[/quote]

Wow great info. I really like the stuff you’re doing here. Seems like a great way to keep intensity and concentration way up.

Does this represent a typical amount of daily volume? Seems like a pretty substantial amount of work. No wonder your games athletes were beasts with everything they had thrown at them!!!

AUGUST 24TH - MAX EFFORT UPPER BODY

A. Snatch technical practice… played with some technique modifications. Since I’m not in an Olympic lifting phase I figure that it’s time to try some things.

B. Bench press with 50lbs of chains worked up to 305lbs
This is light but my right shoulder is bothering me and I’m staying conservative… I might switch to repeated effort instead of max effort next week.

C. Lying DB triceps extension 2 x 10-12 with 40lbs, 2 x 6-8 with 45lbs

D. Cable triceps pressdown with V-bar 4 x 10-12

E. Superset MARPO rope trainer triceps motion (45 sec) with rope triceps extension 8-10 reps for 3 sets

F. Incline DB lateral raise 3 x 12-15

G. Incline DB front raise 3 x 12-15

[quote]J Moose wrote:
Does this represent a typical amount of daily volume? Seems like a pretty substantial amount of work. No wonder your games athletes were beasts with everything they had thrown at them!!!
[/quote]

I would say that this is a moderate volume day. We have days with more volume(normally Wednesday and Saturday which are followed by rest days), 1 day with lower volume and 2 days like the one I posted

On your max efforts do you go for a training max or a more all out max like most westsiders (on the days you feel healthier)?

[quote]AbsoluteBoxer wrote:
On your max efforts do you go for a training max or a more all out max like most westsiders (on the days you feel healthier)?[/quote]

So far, training max

@CT

Repeated Effort instead of max Effort… Do you mean like 4 sets of 5 with maybe 70%?

What do you think off dumbell power cleans? Do you like them?

[quote]Akidara wrote:
@CT

Repeated Effort instead of max Effort… Do you mean like 4 sets of 5 with maybe 70%?

What do you think off dumbell power cleans? Do you like them?[/quote]

Yes I like them. UNDERSTAND that the name is actually a misnomer; it has nothing to do really with a clean. I would call “continuous shoulder to overhead” but it’s a battle not worth fighting so I also call them DB clean ad press :wink:

At the moment I use it with 3 clients (the two guys in the “squat clean” thread in my forum and another client (the guy doing power cleans in the posterior chain article). I use them seated or standing for high reps (15-20) for shoulder health.

Hi CT, just got access to an assault bike, brutal is an understatement!!!
I have read how you use it with your crossfit atheletes, but what frequency/intensity would you use it for general conditioning & fatloss?
I also do fullbody training 5 x per week(Bulgarian simplified).

Thanks in advance

Hello coach,
Do you recommend the layer system in a crossfit training? Or it is too much volume?
For example
Strength lift for the day:
1 rm of the day/ 3 rounds 90% cluster/ 2-3 rounds 5-4-3-2-1 hdl 60-70%
is it too much volume to recovery on a muscle group in high volume training of crossfit programmation ?

If it is too much volume, can we split?
For example: day 1 : 1 rm / 3 rounds 90% cluster
day 2: 3 rounds 70% 5-4-3-2-1 hdl

Thanks for your work, it’s always a pleasure to read your article. ( i can’t wait a crossfit book of you).

[quote]SgtBalboa wrote:
Hello coach,
Do you recommend the layer system in a crossfit training? Or it is too much volume?
For example
Strength lift for the day:
1 rm of the day/ 3 rounds 90% cluster/ 2-3 rounds 5-4-3-2-1 hdl 60-70%
is it too much volume to recovery on a muscle group in high volume training of crossfit programmation ?

If it is too much volume, can we split?
For example: day 1 : 1 rm / 3 rounds 90% cluster
day 2: 3 rounds 70% 5-4-3-2-1 hdl

Thanks for your work, it’s always a pleasure to read your article. ( i can’t wait a crossfit book of you).[/quote]

Splitting is not the layer system anymore.

The layer system itself is too much volume for a crossfit program. I tried it with Alex Vigneault for 3 weeks and he was run down after that and he has the greatest tolerance for work I’ve ever seen.

AUGUST 25 - OLYMPIC LIFTING/PULLING DAY

A. Snatch (squat) technique work. As I mentioned I am trying some technique modifications. Worked up to some easy lifts at 225, probably 5-6, didn’t count, practiced for 30 minutes.

B. Snatch grip high pull from the hang 5 sets of 3 reps up to 285

C. Snatch-grip shrugs, 285 for 4 sets of 5 reps with a 2 sec hold

D. Cable curl with rope attachment 4 sets of 12-15

E. Cable curl with EZ-bar attachment 4 sets of 12-15

ABS WORK