Biotest

Christian Thibaudeau Log 2

Reviewing my post, I realized it was way way too long. So I thought I’d simplify it. Being the fact my knees seem to be weak and cracking during reps, what would you recommend to strengthen knees and wrists to heal them and eventually handle bigger weights without cracking when it gets tough?

Here’s a cool method for the biceps that I used this morning. Also works well for the hamstrings.

1. 2/1 curl (lift with 2 arms, lower slowly with 1 arm)
  2. Curl (focus on the squeeze)
  3. Isometric hold for max time

[quote]bendthebar wrote:
Reviewing my post, I realized it was way way too long. So I thought I’d simplify it. Being the fact my knees seem to be weak and cracking during reps, what would you recommend to strengthen knees and wrists to heal them and eventually handle bigger weights without cracking when it gets tough? [/quote]

Cracking of joints shouldn’t be harmful but if you’re having joint pain you should go see a doctor because there could be more than one cause.

[quote]LordDogwood wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:
Reviewing my post, I realized it was way way too long. So I thought I’d simplify it. Being the fact my knees seem to be weak and cracking during reps, what would you recommend to strengthen knees and wrists to heal them and eventually handle bigger weights without cracking when it gets tough? [/quote]

Cracking of joints shouldn’t be harmful but if you’re having joint pain you should go see a doctor because there could be more than one cause.[/quote]

In this page there is a similar questions about cracking knees. Check CT’s answer.

First of all, thank you for providing us this information, it’s been an great help to my training and trainingphilosophy.

I have a few questions:

1. I use your double progression method (@85%), is there place for Supplemental Lifts And what rep/sets scheme would you use? I have difficulties with staying tigth so now I’m using the spoto press.

2. In one of the logs I saw that you used the speed bench without bands, lowering the weight slowly (4 sec), pausing for 2 seconds to get rid of the stretch reflex. What is the time span (in weeks) of using the speed bench? And what would the progression be?

3. Can you also help me with utilzing the speed bench with bands?

4. Is it to much to do a double progression method (5x3-5) and a speed day in one week?

Thanks,

[quote]Youngplato wrote:
First of all, thank you for providing us this information, it’s been an great help to my training and trainingphilosophy.

I have a few questions:

1. I use your double progression method (@85%), is there place for Supplemental Lifts And what rep/sets scheme would you use? I have difficulties with staying tigth so now I’m using the spoto press. [/quote]

Double progression isn’t really a method, it’s simply a progression model. In other words it’s tool to tell you when to add weight, that’s all. I can be used with more than one exercise per session and use more that one rep scheme.

Double progression uses a number of sets per exercise, a starting weight and a rep range. For example 4 sets of 3-5 reps with 85%.

It uses the same weight for all work sets (85% in this example) and when you are able to do all your work sets with the upper end of the range of motion (5 reps in our example) you are allowed to increase the weight at the next session. If you can’t complete all your sets with the highest part of the rep range you stick with the same weight at the next session.

It can be used with all the exercises in your session and can use a wide variety of rep ranges… 1-3, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12, 12-15 for example. It really is just a way to know when to add weight.

[quote]Youngplato wrote:
2. In one of the logs I saw that you used the speed bench without bands, lowering the weight slowly (4 sec), pausing for 2 seconds to get rid of the stretch reflex. What is the time span (in weeks) of using the speed bench? And what would the progression be? [/quote]

I like to use 4 week waves. Week 1: 50%, Week 2: 55%, Week 3: 57.5%, Week 4: 60%. Then you would start a new wave or do a 4 weeks wave with bands or chains.

[quote]Youngplato wrote:
3. Can you also help me with utilzing the speed bench with bands? [/quote]

Only if you ask a specific question about it.

[quote]Youngplato wrote:
4. Is it to much to do a double progression method (5x3-5) and a speed day in one week?

[/quote]

No that’s fine

Assuming that our main goal is strength with muscle gain, can we ramp to a 3RM for the first exercise of a workout and then use 5x5 double progression for the first supplemental lift or are those rep schemes to similar? Should we use a higher double progression rep scheme for the first supplemental lift? The third exercise would be along the lines of your growth factor training. Thank you in advance.

[quote]And30res wrote:
Assuming that our main goal is strength with muscle gain, can we ramp to a 3RM for the first exercise of a workout and then use 5x5 double progression for the first supplemental lift or are those rep schemes to similar? Should we use a higher double progression rep scheme for the first supplemental lift? The third exercise would be along the lines of your growth factor training. Thank you in advance.[/quote]

That’s perfectly fine

Hi Coach, if I was to run you Athlete Lean, Athlete Strong program for 12-24 weeks do I just add 5-10 pounds to the main lifts every 4 weeks? Thank you

[quote]sjc80 wrote:
Hi Coach, if I was to run you Athlete Lean, Athlete Strong program for 12-24 weeks do I just add 5-10 pounds to the main lifts every 4 weeks? Thank you[/quote]

You do not run it for 12-24 weeks. It’s a 4 weeks program. It is designed to be a shock program, as such the intensity is much higher than if it were programmed as a medium/long term plan.

Thank you. At the risk of pushing my luck, is there anything I could do to make it usable for a longer time - how about dropping the strength circuit day?

[quote]sjc80 wrote:
Thank you. At the risk of pushing my luck, is there anything I could do to make it usable for a longer time - how about dropping the strength circuit day?[/quote]

It’s not as simple as that. Short blitzes and long term programming are two totally different animals and need a different mindset. You cannot simply turn four short blitzes into a long program, even with minor changes. Well some people do it and they crash after 6 weeks.

Thank you!

coach,

1. So if I do a 12 week program can I do this?

Week 1-4 without bands
Week 5-8 with bands
Week 9-12 without bands

What kinda waves would you do on week 5-8? Or can I use the same wave as 1-4.

1. With the progression model how would you determinate the sets?

[quote]Youngplato wrote:
Thank you!

coach,

1. So if I do a 12 week program can I do this?

Week 1-4 without bands
Week 5-8 with bands
Week 9-12 without bands

What kinda waves would you do on week 5-8? Or can I use the same wave as 1-4.

1. With the progression model how would you determinate the sets? [/quote]

Your 12 weeks scheme is fine.

Really with speed work “progression” is all about moving faster. You aren’t even obligated to increase the weight. Focus on moving the bar faster every week. That having been said you can wave the load from week to week but it would be a HUGE MISTAKE to think in term of weight progression when doing speed work.

A good cycle could look like this:

Week 1: 6 x 2 @ 50% with a 2 sec pause on chest (for bench)
Week 2: 8 x 2 @ 50% with a 2 sec pause on chest
Week 3: 10 x 2 @ 50% with a 2 sec pause on chest
Week 4: 4 x 2 @ 55% with a 2 sec pause on chest
Week 5: 4 x 2 @ 40% + light bands (no pause)
Week 6: 6 x 2 @ 40% + light bands (no pause)
Week 7: 8 x 2 @ 40% + light bands (no pause)
Week 8: 3 x 2 @ 40% + light bands (no pause)
Week 9: 6 x 2 @ 60% no bands, no pause
Week 10: 8 x 2 @ 60% no bands, no pause
Week 11: 10 x 2 @ 60% no bands, no pause
Week 12: no speed work

NOTE: The percentage are just a recommendation. The goal is maximum speed. If you are using 50% and the weight isn’t violently explosive, use less weight and adjust the cycle accordingly. I see too many people doing “speed work” which just look like regular reps.

Hey Thib!

What do you think about doing (only) manual labor workouts (3 basic exercises covering the whole body, about 70% of max, sets of 1 rep) with:

• Squats
  • (weighted) Dips
  • (weighted) Chins

-is it possible to develop a aestethic, complete physique with “only” these exercises?

Current training weights:

• Squats 80kg x 5
  • Dips (80kg bodyweight + 50kg added load) x 2
  • Chins (80kg bodyweight + 20kg added Load) x 1 (start from dead hang, 2sec squeeze at top position)

-As you can see, i never trained the squat (or lower body at all). Now i want to target this weakness and need to know the optimal squats:dips:chins ratio to get a starting point for this routine.

Regarding the progression:
-Week 1: 20 singles
-Week 2: 25 singles
-Week 3: 30 singles
-Week 4: Add 5kg on squats & 2,5kg on dips/chins. start at 20 Singles. (?)

-How many times a week do you think someone can handle a session like this? since it should be only about 70% of my max for sets of 1 rep, is it possible to do them 4-5 days a week?

thanks in advance :slight_smile:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]sjc80 wrote:
Thank you. At the risk of pushing my luck, is there anything I could do to make it usable for a longer time - how about dropping the strength circuit day?[/quote]

It’s not as simple as that. Short blitzes and long term programming are two totally different animals and need a different mindset. You cannot simply turn four short blitzes into a long program, even with minor changes. Well some people do it and they crash after 6 weeks.[/quote]

OK, thank you. Would this template that you posted be something I could follow for a longer period of time?

DAY 1
SKILL WORK (20 minutes)
20 minutes of olympic lifting skill work (1 drill focusing on a technical element you want to improve)

WORKMAN STRENGTH COMPLEX (30-35 minutes)
Back squat
Power clean
Military press (or push press)
70% for each; do as a circuit with about 20-30 sec between exercise, 20 sets of 1 rep

• increase weight only after 2 weeks and only by 5-10lbs

GPP WORK (15-20 minutes)
Various prowler pushes for maximum speed (5-10 sec. efforts, 30-60 sec rest)… abs work during rest period

DAY 2
SKILL WORK (20 minutes)
20 minutes of olympic lifting skill work (1 drill focusing on a technical element you want to improve)

STRENGTH WORK (30-35 minutes)
Bench press 5 x 3-5 (double progression)
Front squat 5 x 3-5 (double progression)

GPP (15-20 minutes)
“Crossfit-type” metcon
4-5 rounds of:

• an olympic lift variation for 5 reps
  • a strength lift variation for 10 reps
  • a jump/metabolic exercise (box jump, burpee, wall ball, etc.) for 20 reps
  • Go fast, but not “Crossfit fast”… meaning do not sacrifice form for speed

DAY 3
SKILL WORK (20 minutes)

BODYBUILDING WORK (30-35 minutes)

• one “lats/back” superset for 4-5 sets
  • two biceps exercises for 4-5 sets each, possible to use “intensity techniques”

GPP WORK (15-20 minutes)
Battling ropes + abs work (30 seconds battling rope, various styles, 30 seconds abs work, 60 sec. rest x 6-8 rounds)

DAY 4
OFF/mobility/low intensity cardio (non demanding)

DAY 5
SKILL WORK (20 minutes)

STRENGTH WORK (30-35 minutes)
Back squat 5 x 3-5 (double progression)
Push press 5 x 3-5 (double progression)

GPP (15-20 minutes)
Metcon/beach work complex
4-5 rounds of:

• “2 lifts” Lifting complex for (e.g. clean + thruster… clean + push press … power snatch + snatch push press, etc.) for 3-5 reps of each
  • 10-20 reps of a loaded abs exercise
  • 10-20 reps of a bodyweight movement (push up, dips, pull-ups, air squat, lunges, etc.)
  • 10-20 reps of a biceps exercise
  • Go fast, but not “Crossfit fast”… meaning do not sacrifice form for speed

DAY 6
OLYMPIC LIFTING WORK (15-20 minutes)
Work up to a “technically solid” 3RM on an olympic lift variation

WORKMAN STRENGTH COMPLEX (35-40 minutes)
Back squat
Power clean
Military press (or push press)
70% for each; do as a circuit with about 20-30 sec between exercise, 25 sets of 1 rep

• same weights as DAY 1

DAY 7
OFF/mobility/low intensity cardio (non demanding)

Thank you again.

Thanks Coach!!!

[quote]ralex wrote:
Hey Thib!

What do you think about doing (only) manual labor workouts (3 basic exercises covering the whole body, about 70% of max, sets of 1 rep) with:

• Squats
  • (weighted) Dips
  • (weighted) Chins

-is it possible to develop a aestethic, complete physique with “only” these exercises?

Current training weights:

• Squats 80kg x 5
  • Dips (80kg bodyweight + 50kg added load) x 2
  • Chins (80kg bodyweight + 20kg added Load) x 1 (start from dead hang, 2sec squeeze at top position)

-As you can see, i never trained the squat (or lower body at all). Now i want to target this weakness and need to know the optimal squats:dips:chins ratio to get a starting point for this routine.

Regarding the progression:
-Week 1: 20 singles
-Week 2: 25 singles
-Week 3: 30 singles
-Week 4: Add 5kg on squats & 2,5kg on dips/chins. start at 20 Singles. (?)

-How many times a week do you think someone can handle a session like this? since it should be only about 70% of my max for sets of 1 rep, is it possible to do them 4-5 days a week?

thanks in advance :)[/quote]

This type of training is to build strength-skill. By nature it will not build a lot of muscle by itself. It really is to become super efficient at utilizing your muscles. As part of a broader system it can help build more muscle, but by itself it’s not the way to develop a highly muscular physique.

If anything, what you describe could be a great way to train for strength WITHOUT gaining weight/size (for fighters in weight classes for example).

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
This type of training is to build strength-skill. By nature it will not build a lot of muscle by itself. It really is to become super efficient at utilizing your muscles. As part of a broader system it can help build more muscle, but by itself it’s not the way to develop a highly muscular physique.

If anything, what you describe could be a great way to train for strength WITHOUT gaining weight/size (for fighters in weight classes for example). [/quote]

i thought it will build muscle due to the high volume of work done per week.
is there a possible way to design a full body workout that can be done multiple times a week with only a few exercises (focus only on a few exercises / high frequency / become more efficient in doing these movements)?
because my goal is to become more muscular (+strength gains) and i really love to train my whole body in single workouts multiple times a week but i dont know how to get more “structure” in those workouts and i really dont like body part splits.

I wanted to take the time to apologize for wasting space on your forum, Thib. The reality is I put myself in my situation because I refused to listen to countless people who told me to use ample time to warm-up, stretch, foam roll, perform mobility work, that it doesn’t just take 10 minutes to do all this. The solution was clear all the time that I needed to take time off, that I cannot lift at the same intensity and workload I am now, and that it’s going to take a long time to heal because this is the product of a few years of stubbornness, not a few weeks. Hard to swallow, but the truth hurts. Once again, I apologize.