Biotest

Christian Thibaudeau Log 2

Hello CT,

I am following your Power Look Program. So far, so good. My shoulders & traps have greatly improved.

But I have a hard time trying to stay as upright as possible in the Front Squat. I use a clean grip, I wear Olympic shoes, but today I noticed that my back was rounding too much forward during the ascending phase.
Does the weakness come from my back, or a lack of strength of my legs ?

I had like to stay as upright as the lifter in the video. Do I need to do mobility drills every day? If so, which ones ? Also, I noticed that his foot stance his very narrow. Does such mobility come from genetics, or consistent trying ?

Thanks !
BM

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
Are any of your athletes competing at the upcoming weightlifting nationals?[/quote]

No, all those who could qualify qualified for the Crossfit super regionals (I have 13 or 14 athletes competing) there is a conflict in their preparation.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
Are any of your athletes competing at the upcoming weightlifting nationals?[/quote]

No, all those who could qualify qualified for the Crossfit super regionals (I have 13 or 14 athletes competing) there is a conflict in their preparation.[/quote]
That’s pretty impressive. Wouldn’t really expect someone to try to do both, and it may be for the best anyways, there’s already a ridiculous number of lifters for nationals this year, 195 on the preliminary entry as opposed to 112 last year.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

No, all those who could qualify qualified for the Crossfit super regionals (I have 13 or 14 athletes competing) there is a conflict in their preparation.[/quote]
That’s pretty impressive. Wouldn’t really expect someone to try to do both, and it may be for the best anyways, there’s already a ridiculous number of lifters for nationals this year, 195 on the preliminary entry as opposed to 112 last year.[/quote]

Especially since we focused on the “open” for 5 weeks which meant no heavy lifting. We are just getting back into form now.

Here’s one of my guys with a 116kg snatch PR… the guy will be good for a lot more when we finish polishing his technique.

It’s pretty much always the upper back that is the problem in that situation. I recommend using the zercher squat as your main assistance exercise for 4-5 weeks.

Hey CT,

I was thinking about purchasing a log from treadmill factory http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/strongman-log#review-form

Have you ever used this implement before? What are your thoughts on it?

I would appreciate your response.

Regards,

James

[quote]Jamesliftsheavy wrote:
Hey CT,

I was thinking about purchasing a log from treadmill factory http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/strongman-log#review-form

Have you ever used this implement before? What are your thoughts on it?

I would appreciate your response.

Regards,

James[/quote]

I have used a log before but not this one specifically so I can’t comment on its quality.

I personally like the log. I don’t necessarily think that it’s a superior tool to build muscle versus a regular barbell, but it’s a fun change once in a while and it does help strengthen your pressing. I especially like to use it for overhead carries.

It would not be among my prioritary purchases though, among specialty bars there are other options that I would buy first, personally.

[quote]LordDogwood wrote:
I think maybe 5 sets of 6 at 80%-85% may have been to much I only got 5 on the 5th set and my legs were sore for almost a week after. I had been doing a hypertrophy phase for legs with some heavy sets, mostly working up to a max set like a 5rm or 3rm then doing hypertrophy work after. [/quote]

When I do a strength cycle (power look or 915 for example) it takes 3-4 weeks to work up to 5 x 6 @ 80%. [/quote]

Interesting thanks CT. I think I will eventually move on to one of those programs after focusing on hypertrophy for a while.

This may just be a stupid thing to ask, but I’ll ask it anyway.

Is there a sensible way to work any “chest hypertrophy” work into my current routine?

M/W/F: Axle Overhead Press from Rack
T/R: Mat Pulls

I’m using the Hepburn’s Law routine for the presses, which is quite a bit of work and volume. 4x8 ascending warmup sets; 8x2-3 work sets; “mass sets” as 6,5,4,4,4,3, then a final “pump/flush” set of 10.

Improving both of those lifts is my priority, so I don’t want to interfere with that, but I’d like to do something for my chest size if possible.

I have a rack and bars and rings, so barbell work, axle work, weighted dips (regular or ring) are all options.

Just not really sure how to set that up without screwing my press stuff up; I feel like I’m already balancing on a fine edge of volume/frequency/intensity with that.

Here’s a complex we used this morning to build strength in the clean.

1 clean + 3 front squat + 5 back squat + 5 clean deadlift

Judith did a 205 hang power clean

Then 210, a pr for her…

And Miriam with a 150 snatch from blocks PR

That’s after basically 5 weeks of no heavy lifting during the “Open”. A few more weeks to get strong again for regionals.

Thanks for the advice ! I’ll work on it

BM

Anthony with a 245lbs snatch PR… guys are getting strong again in time for the East Regionals

And Dave with a big snatch… lousy recovery but that is 20lbs PR! 295lbs

The others did EMOM snatches for 13 minutes (13 sets) from 85 to 95% with no fails.

hi CT, hope all is well
on off days, i would like to do some conditioning type work.
maybe loaded carries…
overhead, bearhug, farmers walks
kinda like a complex.
what do you say?
thanks
all the best

CT,
Wondering what your thoughts are on training a muscle three times a week, strengthening different parts each session, for example:
Front squat:
Session 1: main strength and paused squatting
Session 2: top half squat and jump squats
Session 3: zercher training and holds for core and upper back,
Going up to training maxes for the day and using appropriate rep styles for each exercise.

Do you think this may be too much workload?

Thanks,
Jake

From today’s session, Miriam with a 195lbs jerk

FROM THIB’S DESK (changing the Daily Thib tip title to avoid putting pressure on myself :slight_smile: )

I’m a big fan of the military press, well any form of overhead pressing really. To me overhead pressing is even more important than the bench press and is a better indicator of overall and upper body strength.

The two tendencies I see is lifters having a sticking point at the very beginning of the lift and those with a sticking point in the last 3rd of the movement.

To solve the first issue (weak starting position) my favorite lifts are the standing strict log press (by far the best exercise to use) and the high incline bench press with a pause from the chest.

For the second problem (sticking point in the last 3rd) my favorite lift is the overhead press with bands.

The push press is also a good option but not my first choice.

interesting Thibs. I’ve noticed that my strict press gets stuck around 80 kg, and even more pressing doesn’t really help me. It is only until I start including Olympic overhead movements (split jerk, push jerk, but not the push press oddly enough) that I start to get some decent overhead strength again.

but then again, I have not ever done an overhead log press and have not done a high incline bench in a looong time.

Hi CT I’ve been following your 5 day power builder template, really exactly what I need now. Did the OHP workout and feel body builderrish again with the pump from db work. Confident physique will improve again with this and plazma.

My question is for the other two days, would ring work be ok (could almost view as double stimulation for upper body) on rest days? Or maybe just have 1 ring day and 1 rest day while starting each workout with some inverted hangs and holds (approx 3 sets) focusing on tension. Do you view this acceptable with that power builder template?

Thank you

Sigil bro, I’m not CT but I’ve been reading the threads you’ve started or commented in lately, so I know about the issue you’re having.

Wouldn’t it be best to just drop the ring work for now (at least for a while)? Based on what you’ve written, at the moment it clearly isn’t giving you anything in terms of physique development. Besides you seem to have a really strong mental fixation on doing ring work. After all, it’s just one tool in the toolbox.