Biotest

Christian Thibaudeau Log 2


#1041

CT, in your opinion, what is an appropriate level of volume for the Olympic lifts as well as the accessory lifts in a given workout when done between 70%-85%. Also, how does this change when doing crossfit? Or does it at all?


#1042

I went back to your article on percentages and under 80% it says that you can do sets of 6 reps or close to failure, If I wanted to do sets of 6 reps with 80% how many sets should I do? 4 or 5 sets?


#1043

Hey Coach,

I am following your Russian Strength-Skill routine for the last two weeks, and I absolutely love it - I have been feeling more strong and explosive already. I am trying to maintain strength while losing body fat weight, so I am doing triples instead of singles as you have suggested previously. I would like to continue to incorporate pull-ups into my workouts for back, but I am wondering if I should do a more high frequency plan (like Pavel’s Russian Fighter Pull-Up Program - 5 sets (5-4-3-2-1) per session, 5 sessions per week, adding 1 rep per session) or higher volume (30-50) 2-3 times per week, or lower volume with a high intensity (5x3-5 w/ added weight)? If this information is helpful, I am 6’5", weigh 290 lb., and can perform 8-10 strict pull-ups.

I’m sorry if you’ve already answered this question; I deeply value your input and your willingness to help us all out. Please let me know at your convenience.


#1044

Hey CT,

will you ever start something like your "Daily Thought"s or "Thib’s Thought"s again? I really enjoyed these… :slight_smile:


#1045

Great article about the 1rm!
I was wondering does the same princibles apply for weightlifting?

Thanks, sami


#1046

[quote]zam1 wrote:
Great article about the 1rm!
I was wondering does the same princibles apply for weightlifting?

Thanks, sami[/quote]

I’ll tell you what I do with the people I train for weightlifting. But keep in mind that most of them are competitive Crossfit athletes. Some of them also compete in weightlifting and most of them can lift weight that would qualify for Canadian nationals, but they are still not full time lifters.

With beginner to early intermediate lifters (which I loosely define by doing a bodyweight snatch) I stick to sets of 3 repetitions at least 90% of the time.

With intermediate to early advanced lifters (those who could lift national qualifying weights) I normally do 3 weeks of sets of 3 then 2 weeks of sets of 2 reps and 1 week of sets of 1.

With more advanced lifters I normally use 3-weeks cycles: week 1: sets of 3, week 2: sets of 2 week 3: sets of 1


#1047

Good afternoon coach Thib’s. Still working away at the snatch. Here is a complex from today’s training.

High hang snatch + hang snatch + snatch

If I had to analyze myself I would say I still need to work on punching that bar up and locking out (like the handstand push up cue you gave me). Today I was really trying to get down into that receiving position faster than I was. What do you think about my hips? Are they still coming up too fast? Thank you for your time.


#1048

Getting much better! I don’t like the high hang snatch, it is not a leg position that we find in the actual lift (knees are bent too much). Your lift from the hang is good, catch position is better. Bar is closer.

From the floor your first pull is actually very good. Perfect position when you pass the knees. But you are jumping too much. You have way too much air/hang time! You should go up on your toes, but not jump up in the air. Your feet can leave the ground for a fraction of a second, but only to reposition wider for the catch, not to jump in the air. When you leave the floor your can’t interact with the barbell (which is why you are still not perfect with the punch up) and you can’t move under the bar. From the hang you are fine, you don’t have the same hang time.


#1049

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Getting much better! I don’t like the high hang snatch, it is not a leg position that we find in the actual lift (knees are bent too much). Your lift from the hang is good, catch position is better. Bar is closer.

From the floor your first pull is actually very good. Perfect position when you pass the knees. But you are jumping too much. You have way too much air/hang time! You should go up on your toes, but not jump up in the air. Your feet can leave the ground for a fraction of a second, but only to reposition wider for the catch, not to jump in the air. When you leave the floor your can’t interact with the barbell (which is why you are still not perfect with the punch up) and you can’t move under the bar. From the hang you are fine, you don’t have the same hang time.[/quote]

Thank you very much. I will keep plugging away. Really enjoying the improvements im making in my training right now. Watching the video in slow motion it’s amazing how high im actually jumping. Hopefully I can fix it without too much trouble.

Thanks again CT


#1050

[quote]J Moose wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Getting much better! I don’t like the high hang snatch, it is not a leg position that we find in the actual lift (knees are bent too much). Your lift from the hang is good, catch position is better. Bar is closer.

From the floor your first pull is actually very good. Perfect position when you pass the knees. But you are jumping too much. You have way too much air/hang time! You should go up on your toes, but not jump up in the air. Your feet can leave the ground for a fraction of a second, but only to reposition wider for the catch, not to jump in the air. When you leave the floor your can’t interact with the barbell (which is why you are still not perfect with the punch up) and you can’t move under the bar. From the hang you are fine, you don’t have the same hang time.[/quote]

Thank you very much. I will keep plugging away. Really enjoying the improvements im making in my training right now. Watching the video in slow motion it’s amazing how high im actually jumping. Hopefully I can fix it without too much trouble.

Thanks again CT[/quote]

Well you are doing it properly from the hang, so you are capable of doing it right.


#1051

Hello CT,

topic: shoulder specialization: input on heavy press workout, and 2 general questions

I will make a 3-4 weeks shoulder specialization. My split is:
DAY 1 - Back / Biceps
DAY 2 - Shoulders heavier (presses) / Chest (minimal)/ Triceps
DAY 3 - OFF
DAY 4 - Shoulder pump work (Growth Factor Training (your article))
DAY 5 - Legs
DAY 6 - Shoulders pump work (width exercises)
DAY 7 - OFF

Question 1: Your input on my shoulders heavy press workout,day 2,I feel unsure about, there are many different exercises, rep schemes and so on… No exercise is a must, so you can change them, or add new exercises.

Goal: building shoulder size, muscle, and strength ( and to perform the bench press, its my best lift and in the past weeks I added 30lbs to my 1 RM, donâ??t want to lose my strength)

Dumbbell press 38 reps , pump goal
Military press 5
5, strength, size and heavy lifting
Behind the neck press 38-10, size
Incline Bench Press 3
8-10
Bench Press 35
Cuban Press 2
12

Or

Behind Neck Press 46-8
Military Press 3
8-10
Incline Press 310
Cuban Press 3
10-12
Bench Press 3*5

Question 2: 12 Sets for Legs, and 12 Sets for Back, is good volume for maintenance?
Question 3: On Day 1 and Day 5 is it a good idea to perform 3-6 sets for rear delts?

Thanks for your help CT:)


#1052

If you are doing 3 shoulder workouts per week, including 2 for pump/hypertrophy with more variety, stick to fewer exercises for more sets in your heavy session.

Something like:

Behind the neck press or DB shoulder press 1 x 7, 1 x 5, 1 x 3. 1 x 7. 1 x 5. 1 x 3, 1 x 7, 1 x 5, 1 x 3

High incline DB press 4 x 6-8

Bench press 4 x 6-8


#1053

Okay thank you, that helps me! Got stilll a question, whats the purpose of the rep scheme of behind neck presses. 17, 15, 1*3 and then repeat three times. What is the idea behind it?

Thanks CT!


#1054

[quote]Akidara wrote:
Okay thank you, that helps me! Got stilll a question, whats the purpose of the rep scheme of behind neck presses. 17, 15, 1*3 and then repeat three times. What is the idea behind it?

Thanks CT![/quote]

It’s called wave loading, the heavier set (3 reps) prime you for the next two higher rep sets, allowing you to use slightly more weight for the second and third “wave”… and the sets of 5 and 3 feel psychologically easier because you have less reps to do. It basically puts you in a better psychological and neurological state to do the sets.


#1055

Understood, perfect, thanks CT !:slight_smile:


#1056

I think maybe 5 sets of 6 at 80%-85% may have been to much I only got 5 on the 5th set and my legs were sore for almost a week after. I had been doing a hypertrophy phase for legs with some heavy sets, mostly working up to a max set like a 5rm or 3rm then doing hypertrophy work after.


#1057

[quote]Akidara wrote:
Okay thank you, that helps me! Got stilll a question, whats the purpose of the rep scheme of behind neck presses. 17, 15, 1*3 and then repeat three times. What is the idea behind it?

Thanks CT![/quote]
Wave loading is badass but don’t overestimate which weights to start out with. Prepare to be humbled if you do!


#1058

[quote]Colbstar wrote:

[quote]Akidara wrote:
Okay thank you, that helps me! Got stilll a question, whats the purpose of the rep scheme of behind neck presses. 17, 15, 1*3 and then repeat three times. What is the idea behind it?

Thanks CT![/quote]
Wave loading is badass but don’t overestimate which weights to start out with. Prepare to be humbled if you do![/quote]

Totally correct. I prefer to start the first wave overly light and work up from wave to wave


#1059

[quote]LordDogwood wrote:
I think maybe 5 sets of 6 at 80%-85% may have been to much I only got 5 on the 5th set and my legs were sore for almost a week after. I had been doing a hypertrophy phase for legs with some heavy sets, mostly working up to a max set like a 5rm or 3rm then doing hypertrophy work after. [/quote]

When I do a strength cycle (power look or 915 for example) it takes 3-4 weeks to work up to 5 x 6 @ 80%.


#1060

Are any of your athletes competing at the upcoming weightlifting nationals?