Biotest

Christian Thibaudeau Log 2

CT, regarding the ½ squats you said you included in some of your Crossfit athletes Oly training, I did ½ front squats last night before my clean and jerks and I really like the way it activated my CNS and it made my CJ?s feel much lighter.

Couple questions:

1. what kind of volume do you suggest with these? I think you mentioned somewhere doing 4-6 reps and I did 3 sets of 6 reps with 100% of my front squat (125kg) but thinking next time I may just do 3x4.

2. is this something you think could be used before every session or do you think that will cause too much reliance on this neural trick to make the subsequent lifting feel lighter and should only be used in block to help bring up the squat or bust a squat plateau.

3. relating to the above question I wonder if this is something that could be used during times when one?s hips feel beat up from too much squatting or to help lower the pounding on the knees (I?m a 38 yr old master?s lifter with creaky knees) ? in other words instead of squatting 3x a week, doing two partial days and only 1 full day (I think you mentioned doing this), my left thigh has been really sore on the side and doing the partials last night didn?t irritate it at all.

Thanks for the input!

CT You had a great article with timed carries, what I liked best about it you gave a ranges of where to start with the loads to carry. I’m going to be adding loaded carries at the end of my workouts 3-4 times a week. My question is with Zercher carries, I’ve never done them before so I was wondering if you had any ranges for them. I was going to start with 115 lbs. and go from there.

[quote]Howard Roark wrote:
CT, regarding the ½ squats you said you included in some of your Crossfit athletes Oly training, I did ½ front squats last night before my clean and jerks and I really like the way it activated my CNS and it made my CJ?s feel much lighter.

Couple questions:

1. what kind of volume do you suggest with these? I think you mentioned somewhere doing 4-6 reps and I did 3 sets of 6 reps with 100% of my front squat (125kg) but thinking next time I may just do 3x4.

2. is this something you think could be used before every session or do you think that will cause too much reliance on this neural trick to make the subsequent lifting feel lighter and should only be used in block to help bring up the squat or bust a squat plateau.

3. relating to the above question I wonder if this is something that could be used during times when one?s hips feel beat up from too much squatting or to help lower the pounding on the knees (I?m a 38 yr old master?s lifter with creaky knees) ? in other words instead of squatting 3x a week, doing two partial days and only 1 full day (I think you mentioned doing this), my left thigh has been really sore on the side and doing the partials last night didn?t irritate it at all.

Thanks for the input!
[/quote]

That’s interesting. I feel like half squats beat up my knees way more than full squats. However full squats beat up my hips more than half squats do.

[quote]Roran wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

For example:

DAY 1 - HIGH DEMANDS VOLUME
Push press 3 x 6 @ 75%, 3 x 3 @ 80%
Front squat 3 x 6 @ 75%, 3 x 3 @ 80%
Deadlift 6 x 1 @ 75%, 6 x 1 @ 80% (short rest, almost like a cluster… 30ish seconds)
Chin-ups 30 total reps in as little time as possible

DAY 2 - LOW STRESS
Push press 3 x 3 @ 80%
Front squat 3 x 3 @ 80%
Deadlift 5 x 2 @ 80%
Chin-ups 15 total reps in as little time as possible

DAY 3 - HEAVY
Push press 2 x 3 @ 80%, 2 x 2 @ 85%, 2 x 2 @ 90%
Front squat 2 x 3 @ 80%, 2 x 2 @ 85%, 2 x 2 @ 90%
Deadlift 2 x 3 @ 80%, 2 x 2 @ 85%, 2 x 2 @ 90%
Chin-ups (loaded) 5 x 2-3 with heaviest weight possible

DAY 4- OFF

DAY 5 - LOW STRESS (HEAVIER)
Push press 3 x 2 @ 85%
Front squat 3 x 2 @ 85%
Deadlift 5 x 1 @ 85%
Chin-ups 15 total reps in as little time as possible

DAY 6 - MAXIMAL
Push press: ramp to 1RM
Front squat: ramp to 1RM
Deadlift 3 x 1 @ 90%
Chin-ups: ramp to 1RM with 5 sec. hold

DAY 7 - OFF

*NOTE: you would use the result from your ramp to select the weights for the next time you do that “week”… if you pick the deadlift do not test your max BUT add 5-10lbs on the next week if your squat variation increased during the ramp day.

*NOTE 2: this is only an example. Pic the exercises you want… with your knee you might not want to do squats… maybe go with TBDL or sumo DL and add a second pressing movement.

For your other week I would do more hypertrophy work utilizing a movement pattern split (push/pull/legs) … I would use 2-3 compound DB movements for 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps per workout and 1-2 isolation exercises for 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps either with DBs or cables.

If you feel like boosting fat loss you can do a tabata (20 sec. work/10 sec rest for 4 minutes) on somelike like DB thrusters or DB swings.[/quote]

Hey Chris, I saw this the other day and really liked the frequency and simplicity of it. Are there any tweaks you would make if doing this program weekly rather than every other week?
[/quote]

This seems really interesting, where are the original posts/conversation?

CT, I have read your article on the future of crossfit a few times and had a question about programming. I understand that you like the oly lifts with 1-2 strength movements after 4-5 times a week. Are there any online websites like crossfitweightlifting, competitiontrainer, or outlaw that provide programming that you would recommend following or do you think someone is better of programming it themselves in order to base the volume off their individual needs?

Also, (sorry I forgot this in the first post) how do you feel heavy powerlifting deadlifts should be programmed into crossfit training if at all?

[quote]jch4z wrote:
CT, I have read your article on the future of crossfit a few times and had a question about programming. I understand that you like the oly lifts with 1-2 strength movements after 4-5 times a week. Are there any online websites like crossfitweightlifting, competitiontrainer, or outlaw that provide programming that you would recommend following or do you think someone is better of programming it themselves in order to base the volume off their individual needs?[/quote]

I don’t follow any online programming ‘experts’… nowadays it seems like all coaches and boxes have their own and I simply don’t have time to study them all. I work with a few high level Crossfit coaches and counsel them on several issues but these guys aren’t guys that you can follow online for programing.

[quote]jch4z wrote:
Also, (sorry I forgot this in the first post) how do you feel heavy powerlifting deadlifts should be programmed into crossfit training if at all?[/quote]

Sure they need to be part of the plan at some point since it is the preferred technique for “competition WODs” because you can both lift more weight and do more reps versus the “clean” deadlift.

As such I see the powerlifting deadlift as the more “specific” deadlift variation, which is thus used in the later phases of training whereas less specific deadlifts are used earlier in the off-season.

It would go something like this:

RDL --) Zercher squat OR sumo deadlift depending on strength and weaknesses --) Snatch deadlift --) Clean deadlift --) Powerlifting deadlift

[quote]Jimjamin wrote:
CT You had a great article with timed carries, what I liked best about it you gave a ranges of where to start with the loads to carry. I’m going to be adding loaded carries at the end of my workouts 3-4 times a week. My question is with Zercher carries, I’ve never done them before so I was wondering if you had any ranges for them. I was going to start with 115 lbs. and go from there.[/quote]

It’s hard to giver guidelines because:

1. few people do Zercher lifts anymore so you can’t base the carry weight on the corresponding lift

2. A lot of people are not comfortable holding the bar in the Zercher at first. So the limiting factor isn’t even muscular or metabolic but rather one of pain tolerance

3. You can’t breathe properly during zercher carries, you need a super strong diaphragm or great cardio… if you aren’t used to working in a state of oxygen deficit zercher carries can kick your ass at first

4. honestly what does it matter if you don’t know exactly where to start… you’ll figure it out in 1 or 2 sets, it’s not like you are wasting tons of time here

Hey there!
I’d like to hear your advice on Olympic Weightlifting.
I started Olympic Lifting a few months ago. I’m on a gymnasticbodies program + foundation + handstand series, I guess you know these products - and I want to add in a little bit of hypertrophy work, one body part at a time, shoulders for now.
Therefore in Olympic lifting I try not to go overboard with exercise variety.

It should look something like this:
3-5 sessions/week, more or less just as often as I can manage
Day 1
Snatch Drop (warm up/technique)
Snatch
Clean Pull
Front Squat
Jerk (light/technique, I SUCK!)

Day 2
Clean and Jerk
Snatch Pull
Glutes/hamstrings assistance
Shoulder Supersets

The volume was fairly high in my book, doing 6 sets in all excercises, which I think was the reason for the aching of my knees and lower back. My technique is observed constantly, shouldn’t be the problem.

1. Especially with the highly technical exercises it seems useless to me using planned progression, even more as a beginner as technical improvement is not plannable. Iâ??d rather just judge set by set going up when technically allowable, 6 sets 2-3 reps. What do you think?
  2. As for the less technical exercises, pulls and squats, how would you program these?
  3. What do you think about Hip Thrusts, Hyperextensions and Legslides as assistance?

I tried to keep it short, hards sometimes!
Itâ??s astonishing how much advice you offer for free, thanks a lot!

Hi coach. I want to ask you for how can i improve my tríceps development. I have a poor development rescept other groups and i al much better in pull than push.
I train it like an other group.
Thanks coach.

Hey CT!

First of all, thanks for those awesome shoulder growth factor workouts (both the original and the width version). Loving them so far!

I remember seeing a video from you, where you demonstrated a pre-exhaust set for chest, and it went something like this:

A1) DB Squeeze press
A2) DB Flyes
A3) Bench press with Slingshot

Just wondering if you think this would be a good modified version for a lagging upper chest?

A1) DB incline squeeze press
A2) DB incline flyes
A3) Banded DB incline press (Performed like Amit Sapir does these, with the band looped around upper back. I feel a great contraction with these.)

Hey CT!

After reading through a load of your articles and log, I finally worked up the nerv to ask you, since I beleive you could be the one to finally help me solve my problem/pletaeu. Because of a shoulder injury, i wasn’t able to bench for years, just restarted benching last august. I got my bench up to 150 kg from 130 from august to november but been stuck there ever since. I am not a “pec” bencher sadly, (i have a really, really hard time growing those damn chest), and its usually the week point in my lift, usually i get stuck and the bottom or bottom 1/3. My main goal now would be to have a better bench, and better pecs aesthetically. I came up with the following and would really appreciAte your insight on it:
My main program would be your power look program, adding double stimulation for the chest after the bench day. Also I would try to use the “end every workout with bench” method. Also, thinking about adding a 5th day with extra, light pumping chest work (flyes). Could you give me your thoughts on this? Bad idea? What would you change? Any insight and feedback would be greatly appreciated? (Or if its less complicated I can ask, could you please lay out a template for week bench, lagging pecs guy?) :slight_smile: thank you for your time in advance! :slight_smile:

Hey CT quick question,

I am going to be starting Built for Bad next week and have all my exercises chosen except one. It will either be push press or military press but I can’t decide between the two. Was just wondering if you had any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of each of them. My goal is simply just bigger and stronger chasing the “power look” and I like both lifts. My other pushing exercise is dips if that makes any difference. Thanks!

[quote]ebalage wrote:
Hey CT!

After reading through a load of your articles and log, I finally worked up the nerv to ask you, since I beleive you could be the one to finally help me solve my problem/pletaeu. Because of a shoulder injury, i wasn’t able to bench for years, just restarted benching last august. I got my bench up to 150 kg from 130 from august to november but been stuck there ever since. I am not a “pec” bencher sadly, (i have a really, really hard time growing those damn chest), and its usually the week point in my lift, usually i get stuck and the bottom or bottom 1/3. My main goal now would be to have a better bench, and better pecs aesthetically. I came up with the following and would really appreciAte your insight on it:
My main program would be your power look program, adding double stimulation for the chest after the bench day. Also I would try to use the “end every workout with bench” method. Also, thinking about adding a 5th day with extra, light pumping chest work (flyes). Could you give me your thoughts on this? Bad idea? What would you change? Any insight and feedback would be greatly appreciated? (Or if its less complicated I can ask, could you please lay out a template for week bench, lagging pecs guy?) :slight_smile: thank you for your time in advance! :)[/quote]

My suggestion would be to do a 4 weeks pec program. For 4 weeks you focus on improving mind-muscle connection with your chest while reducing volume for the rest of the body. The goal is to divert as much resources to growing the pecs as possible.

Here’s a pec spec from a book I’m working on.

4 WEEKS PECTORALS HYPERTROPHY SPECIALIZATION
(Do the same schedule for 4 weeks)

Monday
Bench press 3 x 4 , 3 x 8
Dips (weighted if possible) 4 x 6-8
Incline DB press 4 x 8-10
Wide-grip bench press 3 x 12-15
DB seated shoulder press 4 x 8-10

Tuesday
Front squat 4 x 4-6
Leg press 3 x 12-15
Bulgarian split squat 3 x 8-10/leg
Leg curl 3 x 8-10

Thursday
Behind neck press 4 x 8-10

Superset 1 (4 sets)
1.1 Incline DB press x 8-10
1.2 Flat DB press (same weight) x max reps (target at least 4)

Superset 2 (4 sets)
2.1 Pec deck machine x 8-10 hold peak contraction 2 seconds per rep
2.2 Dips (no added weight) x maximum reps

Superset 3 (4 sets)
3.1 Decline DB press x 8-10 lowering the weight in 4 seconds
3.2 Decline DB flies x 8-10 hold the stretch 2 seconds per rep

Friday
Half deadlift from pins (below knees) 4 x 6
Pull-ups pronated grip (use elastic bands if needed or added weight if possible) 4 x 6-8
Chest-supported DB row 4 x 6-8 hold peak contraction 2 seconds per rep
DB shrugs torso leaning forward slightly 4 x 10-12 hold peak contraction 2 seconds per rep

Saturday
Bench press 4 x 6-8 lowering the weight in 5 seconds, not going all the way to lockout

Superset 1 (4 sets)
1.1 Pec deck machine hands higher than shoulders x 8-10
1.2 Pec deck machine hands at shoulder level (same weight) x max reps
1.3 Pec deck machine hands lower than shoulders (same weight) x max reps

Superset 2 (4 sets)
2.1 Floor press x 8-10
2.2 Dips (no added weight) x max reps
2.3 Push-ups x max reps

A book?
Please tell us more!!!

a book I’m working on.
[/quote]

I think that’s the most amazing part of the post. :slight_smile:

My suggestion would be to do a 4 weeks pec program. For 4 weeks you focus on improving mind-muscle connection with your chest while reducing volume for the rest of the body. The goal is to divert as much resources to growing the pecs as possible.

Here’s a pec spec from a book I’m working on.

4 WEEKS PECTORALS HYPERTROPHY SPECIALIZATION
(Do the same schedule for 4 weeks)

[/quote]

Thank you very much for the detailed answer/program Coach! Will follow it to the T and post about the results. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

While risking the fact that you turn into the Hulk and rip my head off :slight_smile: :slight_smile: one quick question: is it ok to add 10 min light pump bicep work to the pulling day or would be too much? Yet again thanks for your time and effort! :slight_smile:

[quote]ebalage wrote:

While risking the fact that you turn into the Hulk and rip my head off :slight_smile: :slight_smile: one quick question: is it ok to add 10 min light pump bicep work to the pulling day or would be too much? Yet again thanks for your time and effort! :)[/quote]

That’s fine