Biotest

Christian Thibaudeau Log 2

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

For example:

DAY 1 - HIGH DEMANDS VOLUME
Push press 3 x 6 @ 75%, 3 x 3 @ 80%
Front squat 3 x 6 @ 75%, 3 x 3 @ 80%
Deadlift 6 x 1 @ 75%, 6 x 1 @ 80% (short rest, almost like a cluster… 30ish seconds)
Chin-ups 30 total reps in as little time as possible

DAY 2 - LOW STRESS
Push press 3 x 3 @ 80%
Front squat 3 x 3 @ 80%
Deadlift 5 x 2 @ 80%
Chin-ups 15 total reps in as little time as possible

DAY 3 - HEAVY
Push press 2 x 3 @ 80%, 2 x 2 @ 85%, 2 x 2 @ 90%
Front squat 2 x 3 @ 80%, 2 x 2 @ 85%, 2 x 2 @ 90%
Deadlift 2 x 3 @ 80%, 2 x 2 @ 85%, 2 x 2 @ 90%
Chin-ups (loaded) 5 x 2-3 with heaviest weight possible

DAY 4- OFF

DAY 5 - LOW STRESS (HEAVIER)
Push press 3 x 2 @ 85%
Front squat 3 x 2 @ 85%
Deadlift 5 x 1 @ 85%
Chin-ups 15 total reps in as little time as possible

DAY 6 - MAXIMAL
Push press: ramp to 1RM
Front squat: ramp to 1RM
Deadlift 3 x 1 @ 90%
Chin-ups: ramp to 1RM with 5 sec. hold

DAY 7 - OFF

*NOTE: you would use the result from your ramp to select the weights for the next time you do that “week”… if you pick the deadlift do not test your max BUT add 5-10lbs on the next week if your squat variation increased during the ramp day.

*NOTE 2: this is only an example. Pic the exercises you want… with your knee you might not want to do squats… maybe go with TBDL or sumo DL and add a second pressing movement.

For your other week I would do more hypertrophy work utilizing a movement pattern split (push/pull/legs) … I would use 2-3 compound DB movements for 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps per workout and 1-2 isolation exercises for 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps either with DBs or cables.

If you feel like boosting fat loss you can do a tabata (20 sec. work/10 sec rest for 4 minutes) on somelike like DB thrusters or DB swings.[/quote]

Hey Chris, I saw this the other day and really liked the frequency and simplicity of it. Are there any tweaks you would make if doing this program weekly rather than every other week?

Hey Roran,
That program looks great, Im gonna write it down! Same thoughts as you.
For what it’s worth, here are some considerations:

1)Maybe the true 1RM isn’t the best thing to ramp up to if you are going to train the day after tomorrow.
You can go for 3RM, thats far less taxing. CT wrote a article about this. “22 proven rep schemes” I recall…

2)I don’t know what your goals are, but this is a little at the low end of volume to grow. If hypertrophy is a (prominent) goal of you, you might want to add in 1 or 2 assistance excercises each day. Perhaps give cyclling these a try: RDL’s, Dips, MP, Bulgarian Split Squats and DB/single arm BB rows.
Do everyone of them once a week for, say 2x10. Start light, work them up a little in a few weeks.

3)Also, it may be a good idea to do some staggered face pulls and strict pushups. This will keep your shoulders healthy and will add some core work. Again: don’t kill yourself, you will be doing plenty of work already. Do a few of these between every set each workout and you will balance things out quite nice. Little things add up.

Hope this helps!

[quote]heltonvalentini wrote:

After reading this answer I’m reconsidering what would be best for me. I have never been under 15% body fat. Right now (based on previous measurements) I’m between 18-20%.
As i’ve told you before I did 12 weeks of RSS and this week I’ve started Power Look Program.

I’m definitely gaining some muscle but also I’m on a caloric surplus.
Would it be better if I cut calories down until I reach 12% BF and then start Power Look Program ?
You 've said a thousand times on this log to use workout to keep/improve strength and diet/energy systems to drop fat. But what type of program would you recommend for a fat-loss phase ? And if possible what diet protocol would you recommend ?[/quote]

Do the Power Look program, reduce calories SLIGHTLY and add loaded carries after every workout. Something like Farmer walks/prowler on lower body days and overhead walks on upper body days. Alternate 1 minute of work with one minute of rest for 6-8 rounds.

When dieting down I like to keep the program heavy… if you do everything to try to get stronger or at least maintain your strength you will not lose muscle.

Once a week add hill sprints.[/quote]

Thank you. I workout at 6 AM and have to leave until 7AM. If I can’t fit the carries on this morning session is it ok do then as a second session at 8:30PM ?

CT I’ve seen you mention this a few times. Do you have a video of using dips as the primary movement? Like ramping up to a 3RM as you would for BP.

I find it much harder to “explosve in turnaround” a la perfect rep…the feel is very different from bench press, ESPECIALLY slight incline tilt off pins.

And “ramping up” on dips seems less appropriate than for bench (I haven’t seen it practical to add +5 to a weight dip belt for 10+ sets, not to mention slight body adjustments that happen each set)?

After reading this answer I’m reconsidering what would be best for me. I have never been under 15% body fat. Right now (based on previous measurements) I’m between 18-20%.
As i’ve told you before I did 12 weeks of RSS and this week I’ve started Power Look Program.

Would it be better if I cut calories down until I reach 12% BF and then start Power Look Program ?
You 've said a thousand times on this log to use workout to keep/improve strength and diet/energy systems to drop fat. But what type of program would you recommend for a fat-loss phase ? And if possible what diet protocol would you recommend ?[/quote]

Do the Power Look program, reduce calories SLIGHTLY and add loaded carries after every workout. Something like Farmer walks/prowler on lower body days and overhead walks on upper body days. Alternate 1 minute of work with one minute of rest for 6-8 rounds.

When dieting down I like to keep the program heavy… if you do everything to try to get stronger or at least maintain your strength you will not lose muscle.

Thank you. I workout at 6 AM and have to leave until 7AM. If I can’t fit the carries on this morning session is it ok do then as a second session at 8:30PM ?
[/quote]

It’s always more effective to split the daily volume into two sessions, especially if it’s two different types of work. My only worry is that the carries might be too close to your bed time.

Does the metabolic effect of the carries jack you up too much to sleep?

[quote]Panopticum wrote:
Does the metabolic effect of the carries jack you up too much to sleep?
[/quote]

Any intense physical activity can make it hard to fall asleep and also increase cortisol level, which should be lower in the evening before bed.

[/quote]

It’s always more effective to split the daily volume into two sessions, especially if it’s two different types of work. My only worry is that the carries might be too close to your bed time.[/quote]

I’ll try to do them in the morning session. Can’t do it earlier on a second session since I work from 8AM to 8PM.

Okay coach. Strange thing is, after my martial arts training, usualy till 20:30, I sleep like a baby. But thats about 2 hours from bedtime, so not really close.

Hi Christian,

I have 2 questions for you. To me, medial delts is a muscle that possibly only rivaled by lats can be hard to establish a good mind-muscle connection with and what excercises work best seems to be pretty individual as well.

I like bent arm laterals leading with the elbows and hands internally rotated as well as upright rows - medium grip, only to sternum, never straightening the arms fully and preferably on e-z bar not very Heavy weights on either these or laterals. I like to do mechanical drop sets on the laterals.

I do like to do standing barbell presses, pushpresses, behind neck and normal military ones, as per your latest article you argue for the behind the neck version.

My first question is: would you recommend pushing slightly backwards on the behind the neck presses as per other presses to hit the medial delts better and the anterior less and what grip is best for medial delts?

My second question is if behind neck presses, pull ups, dips and possibly upright rows would be a sufficient excercise selection to build the upper body well or that other excercises would need to be included in your opinion and if so which. I know you favour using fewer excercises but with diffferent methods.

Thanks in advance

Grod

Hello CT,
two short questions for you:)

1.) the headline for your article, do you make them or does the T-Nation workers give the article a headline?
2.) where would you put the behind neck press in a heavy press workout? Before the push press or behind it? More in the end of the workout or as beginning movement?

nice point about the sit ups:P

Hey CT,
In one of your articles you said, that you did only snatches and squats for 6 weeks.
As I am also interested in increasing my numbers in both exercises, I was interested in how
you programmed those weeks.
Thanks.

[quote]kbman wrote:
Hey CT,
In one of your articles you said, that you did only snatches and squats for 6 weeks.
As I am also interested in increasing my numbers in both exercises, I was interested in how
you programmed those weeks.
Thanks.[/quote]

Are you sure? The one article that sounds like that was about me only doing snatch-grip high pulls for 3-4 weeks.

[quote]Akidara wrote:
Hello CT,
two short questions for you:)

1.) the headline for your article, do you make them or does the T-Nation workers give the article a headline?
2.) where would you put the behind neck press in a heavy press workout? Before the push press or behind it? More in the end of the workout or as beginning movement?

nice point about the sit ups:P[/quote]

1. Sometimes it’s me, sometimes it’s the editor.

2. It depends on the purpose of the exercise and the goal of your program. If your goal is to bring up your push press then the behind the neck press becomes a secondary exercise since it doesn’t have much transfer to the push press. So it can be a 3rd exercise. If your goal is to increase your strict military press then the behind the neck press is a good 1st assistance exercise. And if your goal is to bring up your shoulders as much as possible then it can be a solid 1st pressing movement.

[quote]Grod wrote: My first question is: would you recommend pushing slightly backwards on the behind the neck presses as per other presses to hit the medial delts better and the anterior less and what grip is best for medial delts?

My second question is if behind neck presses, pull ups, dips and possibly upright rows would be a sufficient excercise selection to build the upper body well or that other excercises would need to be included in your opinion and if so which. I know you favour using fewer excercises but with diffferent methods.

Thanks in advance

Grod[/quote]

1. I don’t agree with you entirely, lats mind-muscle connection is pretty easy to develop when you use the proper exercises (go to my forum I posted a few exercise in the growth factor back thread) but you are right, it’s pretty much impossible to differentiate between lateral and front deltoid activation.

2. There is no need to press back with the behind the neck press since the barbell is already in the proper slot. Just make sure that you press in a straight line.

3. I’m a bit believer in the big basic lifts. But I recently came to the conclusion that most people need isolation or targeted work to build a complete upper body… very few people can build a 100% balanced upper body using only compound movements.

okay thanks CT !:slight_smile:

Thank you for swift answer Christian :slight_smile:

â??In the past, I’ve done nothing but high pulls for 3 weeks, nothing but bench press and deadlifts for 6 weeks, and nothing but snatches and squats for 6 weeks. And yet, I have a very balanced physique. No body part is lagging and no big lift is out of balance with the others.

Being so focused in training isn’t out of the ordinary for me â?? it’s what I do most of the time. I’ve always achieved my best results when I focused on accomplishing only one thing with my training and just maintaining the rest.â??

[quote]kbman wrote:
â??In the past, I’ve done nothing but high pulls for 3 weeks, nothing but bench press and deadlifts for 6 weeks, and nothing but snatches and squats for 6 weeks. And yet, I have a very balanced physique. No body part is lagging and no big lift is out of balance with the others.

Being so focused in training isn’t out of the ordinary for me â?? it’s what I do most of the time. I’ve always achieved my best results when I focused on accomplishing only one thing with my training and just maintaining the rest.â??

[/quote]

As ok… yes… must have been when I first got back to the Olympic lifts a few years back… at that time my elbow was messed and couldn’t do cleans of jerks. At that time my goal was only to get back to being efficient in the snatch and regain leg strength. From what I can remember it worked since my squat went up almost 70lbs and my snatch technique was much improved.

Are the farmers walk suppose to be instead of the optional accessory work? e.i. direct arm work, leg extensions, leg curls, shrugs?

Or on top of the accessory work?