Biotest

Christian Thibaudeau Log 2

Hey Christian,

I’ve been training for 1 year, I started with calisthenics and now I’m hitting barbells/dumbbells and calisthenics, both. I’ve designed this powerbuilding training scheme and I’d like to know your opinion about it.

4 days of training, double weekly frequency for all muscles and movements.

-Days 1 and 3: Back, shoulders and biceps

Pull ups
Overhead press (standing barbell variation)
Auxiliary work:
Kayak row or seated row
Face pulls or lateral raises
EZ bar curl or incline dumbbell curl

-Days 2 and 4: Chest, legs and triceps

Floor press
Lunges
Auxiliary work:
Cable crossover or push ups
French press or cable arm extension
Leg raises or isometric planks

About the sets/reps, for the basic lifts I alternate 3x8, 4x6 and 5x5 every 2-4 weeks while trying to add on weight. For the auxiliary work, I just alternate it every time I alternate the rep schemes on the basics, that’s why I wrote another alternative on every auxiliary movement.

So that’s it. How do you see it? My objective is mainly hypertrophy, but I also pay attention to the strength because it’s important and I also like to lift heavy. I also need to work more the upper body due to my naturally big legs/glutes structure.

AND a last question, I’ve tried all types of benching movements, and I don’t feel OK with my shoulders in anyone except on the floor press, so how do you see if I always do floor press? I feel so much better contraction on the chest without pain.

Thank you a lot, your opinion means a lot for me!

[quote]lotsi81 wrote:
Do you find Zercher squats put pressure or strain on your bicep tendon? I havent used them in years and I have an injury just below my bicep that I’m currently working around. Hoping to use it as my squat variation for the last two weeks if Dan Johns 40 workout program and then move on to the Power Look workout. Thanks![/quote]

I wont lie, they are not comfortable. When I do them I wear a long sleeves shirt and neoprene sleeves. I probably wouldn’t do them if I had a biceps issue.

Hey coach,

When compared, 915 and Power Look are very alike in terms of strength gain.
And power look will built some more muscle you, it says on the previous page.

Wondering: why doesn’t Power look have a explosive day for each lift?
If Power look has lower frequency, how does it get the same results strenght-wise?
Why would power look built (slightly) more muscle?

I guess the anwser is in the excersise choices (more all-over muscle stimulated) and intensity.
You wrote the programs, so you don’t have to guess;)

[quote]Panopticum wrote:
Hey coach,

When compared, 915 and Power Look are very alike in terms of strength gain.
And power look will built some more muscle you, it says on the previous page.

Wondering: why doesn’t Power look have a explosive day for each lift?
If Power look has lower frequency, how does it get the same results strenght-wise?
Why would power look built (slightly) more muscle?

I guess the anwser is in the excersise choices (more all-over muscle stimulated) and intensity.
You wrote the programs, so you don’t have to guess;)[/quote]

Mostly the higher volume and selection on the assistance exercises and slightly higher reps on the main movements. The explosive day is not necessary to build maximum muscle. It is mostly to build technical efficiency on the main lifts. Since the Power Look program is to build maximum muscle (while still building a lot of strength) there isn’t as much need for technical work. The Power look will get you just as strong while 915 might get you better at allowing you to demonstrate that strength on the 3 powerlifts.

I think you didn’t see it since you posted just after my message got approved.

Thanks again!

[quote]Tonay wrote:
Hey Christian,

I’ve been training for 1 year, I started with calisthenics and now I’m hitting barbells/dumbbells and calisthenics, both. I’ve designed this powerbuilding training scheme and I’d like to know your opinion about it.

4 days of training, double weekly frequency for all muscles and movements.

-Days 1 and 3: Back, shoulders and biceps

Pull ups
Overhead press (standing barbell variation)
Auxiliary work:
Kayak row or seated row
Face pulls or lateral raises
EZ bar curl or incline dumbbell curl

-Days 2 and 4: Chest, legs and triceps

Floor press
Lunges
Auxiliary work:
Cable crossover or push ups
French press or cable arm extension
Leg raises or isometric planks

About the sets/reps, for the basic lifts I alternate 3x8, 4x6 and 5x5 every 2-4 weeks while trying to add on weight. For the auxiliary work, I just alternate it every time I alternate the rep schemes on the basics, that’s why I wrote another alternative on every auxiliary movement.

So that’s it. How do you see it? My objective is mainly hypertrophy, but I also pay attention to the strength because it’s important and I also like to lift heavy. I also need to work more the upper body due to my naturally big legs/glutes structure.

AND a last question, I’ve tried all types of benching movements, and I don’t feel OK with my shoulders in anyone except on the floor press, so how do you see if I always do floor press? I feel so much better contraction on the chest without pain.

Thank you a lot, your opinion means a lot for me![/quote]

Thanks for the reply coach!

Can the same lifts that are used for power look be used for 915?
Wouldn’t this be problematic because of the lack of high pull and 2 kinds of presses?
Cycling between the two withthe same lifts should guarantee some awesome gains in strenght.Build stength, learn to show it, use the new skill of showing off to get a higher pr, use new pr as base for power look. And do this cycle for a few times.

[quote]Panopticum wrote:
Thanks for the reply coach!

Can the same lifts that are used for power look be used for 915?
Wouldn’t this be problematic because of the lack of high pull and 2 kinds of presses?
Cycling between the two withthe same lifts should guarantee some awesome gains in strenght.Build stength, learn to show it, use the new skill of showing off to get a higher pr, use new pr as base for power look. And do this cycle for a few times.[/quote]

If you don’t plan to do a powerlifting competition you can pick the variations of the lift you want.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]lotsi81 wrote:
Do you find Zercher squats put pressure or strain on your bicep tendon? I havent used them in years and I have an injury just below my bicep that I’m currently working around. Hoping to use it as my squat variation for the last two weeks if Dan Johns 40 workout program and then move on to the Power Look workout. Thanks![/quote]

I wont lie, they are not comfortable. When I do them I wear a long sleeves shirt and neoprene sleeves. I probably wouldn’t do them if I had a biceps issue.[/quote]

Thanks. That makes sense. I’ll hold off for a while.

@CT: I hope your right index finger is better. How do you coach the role of the upper body for the clean?

Thanks again coach!
Probably I just replace the back squats with front squats. And do a deadlift and a power clean, just like in 915.
But how does it work with the presses? To do an explosive day for every lift, there will be another 2 workouts with pressing (to do both benching and push pressing). Maybe a bit of an overkill… Should I just do 1 of the both (push presses preferred:)

BTW you look great at the pic in the power look article! Is this after cutting or before? Eitherway, you have a lucky wife

[quote]Panopticum wrote:
Thanks again coach!
Probably I just replace the back squats with front squats. And do a deadlift and a power clean, just like in 915.
But how does it work with the presses? To do an explosive day for every lift, there will be another 2 workouts with pressing (to do both benching and push pressing). Maybe a bit of an overkill… Should I just do 1 of the both (push presses preferred:)

BTW you look great at the pic in the power look article! Is this after cutting or before? Eitherway, you have a lucky wife

[/quote]

That’s pretty much my regular body fat year round. Right now I’d say I’m a tad leaner but slightly smaller since I dropped most upper body work for a few months re-focusing on the Olympic lifts. I’ve been back to a more general approach for 4 weeks now and putting some muscle back on my upper body.

Have you seen some gains with the O lifts?
Pretty impressive to stay that lean all year round, and far more convenient for occasional shirt rip-offs;)
Is it smart to first make sure you have a decent amount mass before staying relatively lean all year round?
Or can it be done from scratch?
Im planning on swapping 25 lbs of blubber into muscle (quite a noob I am), and Im not planning on becoming the next mr. Olympia. So it would be quite nice to make steady gains while not getting much fatter at this point.

[quote]Panopticum wrote:
Have you seen some gains with the O lifts?
Pretty impressive to stay that lean all year round, and far more convenient for occasional shirt rip-offs;)
Is it smart to first make sure you have a decent amount mass before staying relatively lean all year round?
Or can it be done from scratch?
Im planning on swapping 25 lbs of blubber into muscle (quite a noob I am), and Im not planning on becoming the next mr. Olympia. So it would be quite nice to make steady gains while not getting much fatter at this point.

[/quote]

You CAN use the Olympic lifts to add SOME muscle. But you need to be efficient at them and the size will be seen mostly on the lower back, legs and traps. But I wouldn’t say that it’s a great tool to build muscle. The Olympic lifts will improve your capacity to produce power, athletic performance potential and can improve muscle tone. But it’s not a primary muscle-building tool.

As far as making sure you have enough muscle before trying to stay lean year round… it really is an individual thing. Trying to get ripped when you do not have muscle will not give you the physique you want, but accepting to gain fat when you are already carrying plenty of fat isn’t better… first because it makes it hard to objectively assess your physique, but also because the more fat your carry the harder it will be to lose it when you decide to cut. And the more fat you have to lose, the more you risk losing muscle when you decide to cut.

So I like a middle of the road approach. I feel like there is not need to go above a TRUE 12% body fat. And at that point you can assess your physique objectively. So if you are above that I recommend dieting down to get there and from there you can assess whether building more muscle or losing more fat should be your priority based on your personal goal.

I believe that someone who has never been lean, should first try to get leaner because that might be the more problematic aspect. Someone who was once in decent shape and let himself go a bit can start by trying to build more muscle because he knows his body can get lean.

Thanks coach, your anwsers are always very reasonable, something pretty rare in the fitness industry.
The question about the O lifts wasn’t really about muscle building, I was more asking if your progressing in them:)
Nevertheless thanks for anwser!

[quote]Panopticum wrote:
Thanks coach, your anwsers are always very reasonable, something pretty rare in the fitness industry.
The question about the O lifts wasn’t really about muscle building, I was more asking if your progressing in them:)
Nevertheless thanks for anwser! [/quote]

Ahhhh… sorry I didn’t read your post properly. I did progress, but keep in mind that I trained as an Olympic lifter (1998 - 2004) before I did bodybuilding and strength training between. So it’s not like I was a newbie in them.

Hey Christian,

What do you think about doing dips instead of bench press as main chest exercise? I don’t feel comfortable with any bench press variation and I’ve been always doing dips while developing my chest correctly with them. Also there wouldn’t be any problem about the progessions, I could add weight using a belt as I do with the pull ups.

I mean, progressive overloading the dips with extra weight and progressing correctly throught the years, combining them with cable crossovers, could I fully develop my chest or would I NEED the bench?

No problem coach, you have more than enough to read:)
I knew you were a O lifter, awesome to hear you still can progress on them!
Keep it up.
BTW is your index finger healed up yet?

After reading this answer I’m reconsidering what would be best for me. I have never been under 15% body fat. Right now (based on previous measurements) I’m between 18-20%.
As i’ve told you before I did 12 weeks of RSS and this week I’ve started Power Look Program.

I’m definitely gaining some muscle but also I’m on a caloric surplus.
Would it be better if I cut calories down until I reach 12% BF and then start Power Look Program ?
You 've said a thousand times on this log to use workout to keep/improve strength and diet/energy systems to drop fat. But what type of program would you recommend for a fat-loss phase ? And if possible what diet protocol would you recommend ?

[quote]Tonay wrote:
Hey Christian,

What do you think about doing dips instead of bench press as main chest exercise? I don’t feel comfortable with any bench press variation and I’ve been always doing dips while developing my chest correctly with them. Also there wouldn’t be any problem about the progessions, I could add weight using a belt as I do with the pull ups.

I mean, progressive overloading the dips with extra weight and progressing correctly throught the years, combining them with cable crossovers, could I fully develop my chest or would I NEED the bench?
[/quote]

I believe that properly done dips are superior tothe bench press strictly for pectoral development. So no you don’t NEED the bench press to build the pecs.

[quote]heltonvalentini wrote:

After reading this answer I’m reconsidering what would be best for me. I have never been under 15% body fat. Right now (based on previous measurements) I’m between 18-20%.
As i’ve told you before I did 12 weeks of RSS and this week I’ve started Power Look Program.

I’m definitely gaining some muscle but also I’m on a caloric surplus.
Would it be better if I cut calories down until I reach 12% BF and then start Power Look Program ?
You 've said a thousand times on this log to use workout to keep/improve strength and diet/energy systems to drop fat. But what type of program would you recommend for a fat-loss phase ? And if possible what diet protocol would you recommend ?[/quote]

Do the Power Look program, reduce calories SLIGHTLY and add loaded carries after every workout. Something like Farmer walks/prowler on lower body days and overhead walks on upper body days. Alternate 1 minute of work with one minute of rest for 6-8 rounds.

When dieting down I like to keep the program heavy… if you do everything to try to get stronger or at least maintain your strength you will not lose muscle.

Once a week add hill sprints.