Biotest

Christian Thibaudeau Log 2

Quick question for you!

I have spent most of my time building up a strength base with mainly low volume and higher frequency. I want some beach muscles now! After a push workout, I can pretty much get my maximum pump in my triceps with about 5 sets of light weight work 8-20 reps. My arms don’t blow up anymore after that. Is there any point to doing 10-15 sets if I can get the maximum pump in just 5? This is pretty similar to all muscle groups, was just using triceps as an example.

Thanks!

CT, that is an incredible description and explanation of the Zercher deadlift. I especially like the Zercher dead and walk you spoke about and will incorporate them into my routine. One question I have is that I am training for a powerlifting meet on April 18th so do you think I should wait until after the meet to include these Zercher deads and walks in my training or use them as an ancillary exercise after my main lifting or on off days. Currently I do ME lower body on Monday, Wednesday is ME upper body, Friday is DE lower body, and DE upper body is on Saturday. CT, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you for the insight.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]heltonvalentini wrote:
Coach CT I’ve been doing this template of Russian SS - https://gist.github.com/heltonvalentini/6a83162baa31017a6632 - for the past 9 weeks.

Thank you for putting together such a great workout.
I were able to add 10lbs at the end of each 3 week cycle.
My goal is to squat 2xBW, DL 2xBW and BPx1.5BW
When should I test my 1RM ? Should I do another workout and then return to this ?
[/quote]

Do it for 12 weeks (4 cycles) then test your max[/quote]

CT as you instructed I completed 12 weeks and this week I tested my lifts. These are the results.

Military Press: before 52kg now 60kg (+8kg)
Bench Press: before 72kg now 84kg (+12kg)
Back Squat: before 112kg now 126kg (+14kg)
PL Deadlift: before 108kg now 128kg (+20kg)

First of all thank you so much for this great program and all the info you give us everyday on this log and in your articles.
After going through these 12 weeks I have some questions that I would really appreciate your help.

1. I was thinking about starting 915 workout since I’m going on a vacation on June 1st and that’s 9 weeks far from now. I really like RSS but I miss volume and with 915 I’d still hit big lifts twice a week but have more volume. Or would it be more adequate for me to do Power Look Program ? Or a bodybuilding program ?

2. As I told you before I set for myself a goal to to squat 2xBW, DL 2xBW and BPx1.5BW. I am closer now to achieve these goals (1.71cm height and 78kg BW before RSS). But looking at this goal now it feels kinda silly after reading your Power Look Program article. Achieving that power look seems much more like a goal for me. I think that hitting these numbers should be milestones not goals. How do you match a program with a proper goal ?

Coach CT I’ve been doing this template of Russian SS - https://gist.github.com/heltonvalentini/6a83162baa31017a6632 - for the past 9 weeks.

Thank you for putting together such a great workout.
I were able to add 10lbs at the end of each 3 week cycle.
My goal is to squat 2xBW, DL 2xBW and BPx1.5BW
When should I test my 1RM ? Should I do another workout and then return to this ?
[/quote]

Do it for 12 weeks (4 cycles) then test your max[/quote]

CT as you instructed I completed 12 weeks and this week I tested my lifts. These are the results.

Military Press: before 52kg now 60kg (+8kg)
Bench Press: before 72kg now 84kg (+12kg)
Back Squat: before 112kg now 126kg (+14kg)
PL Deadlift: before 108kg now 128kg (+20kg)

First of all thank you so much for this great program and all the info you give us everyday on this log and in your articles.
After going through these 12 weeks I have some questions that I would really appreciate your help.

1. I was thinking about starting 915 workout since I’m going on a vacation on June 1st and that’s 9 weeks far from now. I really like RSS but I miss volume and with 915 I’d still hit big lifts twice a week but have more volume. Or would it be more adequate for me to do Power Look Program ? Or a bodybuilding program ?

2. As I told you before I set for myself a goal to to squat 2xBW, DL 2xBW and BPx1.5BW. I am closer now to achieve these goals (1.71cm height and 78kg BW before RSS). But looking at this goal now it feels kinda silly after reading your Power Look Program article. Achieving that power look seems much more like a goal for me. I think that hitting these numbers should be milestones not goals. How do you match a program with a proper goal ?

[/quote]

The power look program would be a nice choice. It is very similar to 915 and will lead to the same strength gains but with a bit more overall muscle mass development. After RSS is the perfect time to start such a program because your neural efficiency will be very high on the main lifts

Couch! I perform 20 minute muscle builder for low rep guy which you described.
3sets of 5 reps with double progression and then 5 sets of 3 reps with EMOTM style.
But I have trouble witch EMOTM part. I train on small public gym and almost always I train bench press witch 2 even 4 other persons so it’s often difficult to perform EMOTM series. Is other options for this?

Hi CT

I have 7 weeks until I start my General Physical Preparation for my Crossfit season, leading up to a major competition here in November. Do you have any suggestions what I could do in these 6 weeks before my prep starts? I plan to utilize your Power look program in my GPP with some added Olympic Lifts.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

kind regards

Hi coach Thib’s,

First of all : Thanks for all your articles and for all the advices that you give on the forum and on T-Nation’s website.
I read your journal with great interest, and once tumbled upon a post in which you gave an example for a upper/lower for a bodybuilder/power builder (here : http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/micro-pa-users/christian_thibaudeau_log_1_?id=5938555&pageNo=25 ) and another one where you showed an approach for a bodybuider (here : http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/micro-pa-users/christian_thibaudeau_log_1_?id=5938555&pageNo=36 ).
I would love, if you don’t mind, to have your opinion on the following program that I’ve organized according to the same principles, but for a 4 days upper/lower.

Day 1 : Lower
Day 2 : Upper
Day 3 : Lower
Day 4 : Upper

Day 1 : Deadlift/Lower Body
Deadlift : 5 sets of 3-5 reps using the double progression method
Front squat : 5 sets of 3-5 reps using the double progression method
Leg curls : 4 sets of 6-8 reps using the double progression method
Abs works

Day 2 : Upper Body (Horizontale heavy-Verticale light)
Bench press : 5 sets of 3-5 reps using the double progression method
Barbell Row : 5 sets of 3-5 reps using the double progression method
Incline dumbell bench press : 4 sets of 6-8 reps using the double progression method
Pull down : 4 sets of 6-8 reps using the double progression method
Accesory work : Biceps and Triceps ?? with isolation complex ?

Day 3 : Squat/Lower Body
Squat : 5 sets of 3-5 reps using the double progression method
Romanian deadlift : 5 sets of 3-5 reps using the double progression method
Front squat : 4 sets of 6-8 reps using the double progression method
Leg curls : 4 sets of 6-8 reps using the double progression method
Abs works

Day 4 : Upper Body (Vertical heavy â?? horizontale light)
Military press : 5 sets of 3-5 reps using the double progression method
Pull-up or Chin-up : 5 sets of 3-5 reps using the double progression method
Flat dumbell bench press : 4 sets of 6-8 reps using the double progression method
1 arm dumbell row : 4 sets of 6-8 reps using the double progression method
Accesory work : Shoulders ?? with isolation complex ?

Excuse my bad english.(I m French)

Thank you in advance for your answer.

[quote]Mccarthy09 wrote:
Hi CT

I have 7 weeks until I start my General Physical Preparation for my Crossfit season, leading up to a major competition here in November. Do you have any suggestions what I could do in these 6 weeks before my prep starts? I plan to utilize your Power look program in my GPP with some added Olympic Lifts.

kind regards[/quote]

This is not in direct answer to your question, but as for adding the Olympic lifts to the power look program, here’s what I’m doing with 4 crossfit athletes for whom I use this program as the basic strength template for their off-season.

First 3 weeks
DAY 1
Snatch 70%
Clean & jerk 70%
Week 1: 6 x 2 (45 sec rest)
Week 2: 8 x 2 (40 sec rest)
Week 3: 10 x 2 (35 sec rest)

DAY 3
Power snatch
Power clean
Week 1: Ramp to 3RM
Week 2: Ramp to 2RM
Week 3: Ramp to 1RM

DAY 4
Power jerk

NOTE THAT THE OLYMPIC LIFTS ARE DONE BEFORE THE STRENGTH WORK

WEEKS 4-6

DAY 1
Snatch add 10lbs vs. first 3 weeks
Clean & jerk add 10lbs vs. first 3 weeks
Week 4: 6 x 2 (45 sec rest)
Week 5: 8 x 2 (40 sec rest)
Week 6: 10 x 2 (35 sec rest)

DAY 3
Snatch from hang
Clean from hang
Week 4: Ramp to 3RM
Week 5: Ramp to 2RM
Week 6: Ramp to 1RM

DAY 4
Behind neck split jerk

WEEKS 7-9

DAY 1
Snatch add 5-10lbs vs. last block
Clean & jerk add 5-10lbs vs. last block
Week 7: 6 x 2 (45 sec rest)
Week 8: 8 x 2 (40 sec rest)
Week 9: 10 x 2 (35 sec rest)

DAY 3
Snatch from blocks
Clean from blocks
Week 7: Ramp to 3RM
Week 8: Ramp to 2RM
Week 9: Ramp to 1RM

DAY 4
Jerk

WEEKS 10-11

DAY 1
6 x 2

DAY 2
Snatch
Week 10: Work up to 2RM
Week 11: Work up to 1RM

DAY 4
Clean & jerk

Wow, thanks so much for this! Such great help and advice. Thank you CT

HI CT

I was thinking after a post you made. Would it be a good idea to do the Russian strength Program before I start your Power Program? I thought it would be a good idea after the Crossfit open as it’s lower volume and like you mention will help with neural efficiency before starting the Power Program. However, I can only do it for 3 weeks before starting the Power program. Is it worth doing for 3 weeks?

I was thinking
Group A; Snatch, Bench, Front squat
Group B: C & J, Push Pree, Deadlift

Thanks in Advance

[quote]Mccarthy09 wrote:
HI CT

I was thinking after a post you made. Would it be a good idea to do the Russian strength Program before I start your Power Program? I thought it would be a good idea after the Crossfit open as it’s lower volume and like you mention will help with neural efficiency before starting the Power Program. However, I can only do it for 3 weeks before starting the Power program. Is it worth doing for 3 weeks?

I was thinking
Group A; Snatch, Bench, Front squat
Group B: C & J, Push Pree, Deadlift

Thanks in Advance[/quote]

3 weeks is not enough for strength-skill work and that would give you a general physical prep phase that is too long

OK, thank you for the advice.

[quote]Mccarthy09 wrote:
OK, thank you for the advice.[/quote]

Since the purpose of Crossfit isn’t to build the power look I made some modifications to the assistance exercises

The Zercher squat is used in the first phase instead of paused front squats:

The Zercher deadlift is used in the second phase instead of deficit sumo deadlifts:

Note that the guy in the first video finished 1st in the Canada East open and the guy in the 2nd video finished 9th

[quote]Mccarthy09 wrote:
Hi CT

kind regards[/quote]

This is not in direct answer to your question, but as for adding the Olympic lifts to the power look program, here’s what I’m doing with 4 crossfit athletes for whom I use this program as the basic strength template for their off-season.

First 3 weeks
DAY 1
Snatch 70%
Clean & jerk 70%

DAY 3
Power snatch
Power clean

DAY 4
Power jerk

WEEKS 4-6

DAY 1

DAY 3
Snatch from hang
Clean from hang

DAY 4
Behind neck split jerk

WEEKS 7-9

DAY 1

DAY 3
Snatch from blocks
Clean from blocks

DAY 4
Jerk

WEEKS 10-11

DAY 1
6 x 2

DAY 2
Snatch

DAY 4
Clean & jerk
Week 11: Work up to 1RM[/quote]

With the olympic work before the strength stuff, where would you insert gymnastics skill practice and metabolic conditioning? Or would that kind of stuff not be done in this phase?

Also, for the purpose of Crossfit, if you had to budget for only 1, would it be indigo or micro pa?

Gave the Zercher deadlift another shot today with an axle. That’s kind of a miserable lift, in a good way. Last time I’d tried them my grip strength wasn’t really up to par to pick up the axle.

Does it matter much if elbows are between the knees or on the outside?

It’ll take me a bit to figure out how to fit these into what I’m currently doing. I think it’ll address a few weaknesses pretty well.

[quote]J Moose wrote:

[quote]Mccarthy09 wrote:
Hi CT

kind regards[/quote]

First 3 weeks
DAY 1
Snatch 70%
Clean & jerk 70%

DAY 3
Power snatch
Power clean

DAY 4
Power jerk

WEEKS 4-6

DAY 1

DAY 3
Snatch from hang
Clean from hang

DAY 4
Behind neck split jerk

WEEKS 7-9

DAY 1

DAY 3
Snatch from blocks
Clean from blocks

DAY 4
Jerk

WEEKS 10-11

DAY 1
6 x 2

DAY 2
Snatch

DAY 4
Clean & jerk
Week 11: Work up to 1RM[/quote]

With the olympic work before the strength stuff, where would you insert gymnastics skill practice and metabolic conditioning? Or would that kind of stuff not be done in this phase?

Also, for the purpose of Crossfit, if you had to budget for only 1, would it be indigo or micro pa?
[/quote]

Metcon work is done after… short metcons… 10-15 minutes. Skills are done on the other days.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Gave the Zercher deadlift another shot today with an axle. That’s kind of a miserable lift, in a good way. Last time I’d tried them my grip strength wasn’t really up to par to pick up the axle.

It’ll take me a bit to figure out how to fit these into what I’m currently doing. I think it’ll address a few weaknesses pretty well.
[/quote]

I have an article coming up on that subject. Elbows/feet width depends on your goal. When I use the Zercher to improve front squat strength or to build the legs of long limbed individuals, I use a narrow feet/wider elbows position. For people with a weaker posterior chain I do the opposite.

Hi Christian, would this template that you posted be a good strength and conditioning set up for MMA if I dropped the “bodybuilding work” day? Thank you.

DAY 1
SKILL WORK (20 minutes)
20 minutes of olympic lifting skill work (1 drill focusing on a technical element you want to improve)

WORKMAN STRENGTH COMPLEX (30-35 minutes)
Back squat
Power clean
Military press (or push press)
70% for each; do as a circuit with about 20-30 sec between exercise, 20 sets of 1 rep

• increase weight only after 2 weeks and only by 5-10lbs

GPP WORK (15-20 minutes)
Various prowler pushes for maximum speed (5-10 sec. efforts, 30-60 sec rest)… abs work during rest period

DAY 2
SKILL WORK (20 minutes)
20 minutes of olympic lifting skill work (1 drill focusing on a technical element you want to improve)

STRENGTH WORK (30-35 minutes)
Bench press 5 x 3-5 (double progression)
Front squat 5 x 3-5 (double progression)

GPP (15-20 minutes)
“Crossfit-type” metcon
4-5 rounds of:

• an olympic lift variation for 5 reps
  • a strength lift variation for 10 reps
  • a jump/metabolic exercise (box jump, burpee, wall ball, etc.) for 20 reps
  • Go fast, but not “Crossfit fast”… meaning do not sacrifice form for speed

DAY 3
SKILL WORK (20 minutes)

BODYBUILDING WORK (30-35 minutes)

• one “lats/back” superset for 4-5 sets
  • two biceps exercises for 4-5 sets each, possible to use “intensity techniques”

GPP WORK (15-20 minutes)
Battling ropes + abs work (30 seconds battling rope, various styles, 30 seconds abs work, 60 sec. rest x 6-8 rounds)

DAY 4
OFF/mobility/low intensity cardio (non demanding)

DAY 5
SKILL WORK (20 minutes)

STRENGTH WORK (30-35 minutes)
Back squat 5 x 3-5 (double progression)
Push press 5 x 3-5 (double progression)

GPP (15-20 minutes)
Metcon/beach work complex
4-5 rounds of:

• “2 lifts” Lifting complex for (e.g. clean + thruster… clean + push press … power snatch + snatch push press, etc.) for 3-5 reps of each
  • 10-20 reps of a loaded abs exercise
  • 10-20 reps of a bodyweight movement (push up, dips, pull-ups, air squat, lunges, etc.)
  • 10-20 reps of a biceps exercise
  • Go fast, but not “Crossfit fast”… meaning do not sacrifice form for speed

DAY 6
OLYMPIC LIFTING WORK (15-20 minutes)
Work up to a “technically solid” 3RM on an olympic lift variation

WORKMAN STRENGTH COMPLEX (35-40 minutes)
Back squat
Power clean
Military press (or push press)
70% for each; do as a circuit with about 20-30 sec between exercise, 25 sets of 1 rep

• same weights as DAY 1

DAY 7
OFF/mobility/low intensity cardio (non demanding)

Do you find Zercher squats put pressure or strain on your bicep tendon? I havent used them in years and I have an injury just below my bicep that I’m currently working around. Hoping to use it as my squat variation for the last two weeks if Dan Johns 40 workout program and then move on to the Power Look workout. Thanks!

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[/quote]

I have an article coming up on that subject. Elbows/feet width depends on your goal. When I use the Zercher to improve front squat strength or to build the legs of long limbed individuals, I use a narrow feet/wider elbows position. For people with a weaker posterior chain I do the opposite.[/quote]

Thanks. I’ll be looking out for that article.