Biotest

Christian Thibaudeau Log 2

[quote]Evander wrote:
Hey CT!

Quick metcon related question, if you have time to entertain it. If someone did a short fat loss diet, 8 weeks or so, would you ramp up the amount of metcon weekly (starting from something like 1-2 sessions first week)? Or would you prefer to go pedal to the medal immediately by adding them to most if not every workout right from the start?

Just to use myself as an example here, I’m at a quite reliable 12-13% and goal for the 8 weeks would be “beach condition” at 7-8%.[/quote]

Do not go pedal to the metal right away. Sure fat loss might be more rapid at first, but you will also hit a plateau sooner and then wont have any option left.

CT- with the open coming to an end my lone goal will to be improve my snatch and clean and jerk. Technique is my biggest weakness. Hopefully heavier weights will follow. How should I structure things in this case? Maybe something like alternating between days A&B?

A. Front squat and clean.
B. Snatch and back squat or deadlift.

For the OFF-SEASON FOR CROSSFIT ATHLETES post, would you alter the template for someone in the Masters age group? My recovery isn’t what it used to be but enjoy Crossfit and finding I need to pace myself a bit more for adequate recovery. I am interested in competing in some local competitions and feel this would be a good place to start to get myself ready. Thanks for all the GREAT info you provide.

[quote]J Moose wrote:
CT - a snatch from blocks in today’s training. Seems like I’m still letting the bar get away from my body and I need to be faster under it. Any feedback you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks coach!

http://youtu.be/kve5X0Hq7E8[/quote]

It’s much better than it was though.

I get the feeling that your arms are inactive. Which is likely why it is getting away from you during the pull (when you start from above the knees you can’t blame an improper first pull!). As you explode upward with your lower body you should aim to pull the barbell to your clavicle… not clavicle heights… but to your clavicle. If you only shoot for the height it will be too far in front, you must actively pull toward you.

Then when you go down you must press the bar to the ceiling as you go under the bar. Do not just gio under and wait for the bar to fall in place. PUNCH the bar up to get your body down. This is like in a bench press where when you press into the bar you imagine driving your body through the bench, not pushing the bar up. Or like in a handstand push-up where you use the floor (bar) to push your body away.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]J Moose wrote:
CT - a snatch from blocks in today’s training. Seems like I’m still letting the bar get away from my body and I need to be faster under it. Any feedback you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks coach!

http://youtu.be/kve5X0Hq7E8[/quote]

It’s much better than it was though.

I get the feeling that your arms are inactive. Which is likely why it is getting away from you during the pull (when you start from above the knees you can’t blame an improper first pull!). As you explode upward with your lower body you should aim to pull the barbell to your clavicle… not clavicle heights… but to your clavicle. If you only shoot for the height it will be too far in front, you must actively pull toward you.

Then when you go down you must press the bar to the ceiling as you go under the bar. Do not just gio under and wait for the bar to fall in place. PUNCH the bar up to get your body down. This is like in a bench press where when you press into the bar you imagine driving your body through the bench, not pushing the bar up. Or like in a handstand push-up where you use the floor (bar) to push your body away.[/quote]

You are very right about my arms being inactive. I was too concerned about getting the bar to my hip crease, getting back to the power position with the correct torso angle, and then getting my head through.

These two cues you just gave me are great. Let’s see if I can implement them.

Thank you very much.

[quote]J Moose wrote:You are very right about my arms being inactive. I was too concerned about getting the bar to my hip crease, getting back to the power position with the correct torso angle, and then getting my head through.

Thank you very much. [/quote]

I just made two videos to show you what you should do and drills to learn it. They are in HD so it’s long to upload, I’ll post them when I get back from coaching.

[quote]J Moose wrote:You are very right about my arms being inactive. I was too concerned about getting the bar to my hip crease, getting back to the power position with the correct torso angle, and then getting my head through.

Thank you very much. [/quote]

I just made two videos to show you what you should do and drills to learn it. They are in HD so it’s long to upload, I’ll post them when I get back from coaching.[/quote]

Thank you!!

Hello Christian, i write to you from México City, I love your professionalism, your dedication, your knowledge and most of all the way you explain things. They are so clear. I love your videos from T-Nation channel on youtube i´m a big fan and i almost follow every advice you give.

The other day, my husband and I were watching a video named Indigo Project Boot Camp, and i wanted to ask you if you still have that project Boot Camp and if there is more information about it.

Best regards from Andrea and Carlos. Thanks for answer.

[quote]Andrea Balam wrote:
Hello Christian, i write to you from México City, I love your professionalism, your dedication, your knowledge and most of all the way you explain things. They are so clear. I love your videos from T-Nation channel on youtube i´m a big fan and i almost follow every advice you give.

The other day, my husband and I were watching a video named Indigo Project Boot Camp, and i wanted to ask you if you still have that project Boot Camp and if there is more information about it.

Best regards from Andrea and Carlos. Thanks for answer. [/quote]

Sadly no, that was a project that Biotest held for some of their best clients.

Coach Thibs-

TONS of great information and cues for my to put to use. I’ve watched both videos 5 times and I’m sure I’ll watch them 5 more ha.

I actually haven’t worked much on the snatch at all since those last video responses you posted due to the open. So I’m very happy that I was able to improve in a relatively short amount of time. Being that I’m not a regional level athlete I’m looking forward for the open to come to an end to get back to work on weaknesses. I will be hammering all these drills once 15.5 is complete.

I can not thank you enough.

@CT: How do you teach the role the upper body plays in the clean?

Hi Coach,

Do you have guidelines on how to set up a strength and conditioning template for MMA? I train sparring and technique 3 times a week and have access to barbells, strongman equipment, kettlebells, etc.

Thank you for your time.

[quote]J Moose wrote:
Coach Thibs-

TONS of great information and cues for my to put to use. I’ve watched both videos 5 times and I’m sure I’ll watch them 5 more ha.

I actually haven’t worked much on the snatch at all since those last video responses you posted due to the open. So I’m very happy that I was able to improve in a relatively short amount of time. Being that I’m not a regional level athlete I’m looking forward for the open to come to an end to get back to work on weaknesses. I will be hammering all these drills once 15.5 is complete.

I can not thank you enough. [/quote]

I work with many regional level athletes I can tell you that they ALL can’t wait for the open to be finished… same for me as it puts my coaching on ho9ld.

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@CT: How do you teach the role the upper body plays in the clean?[/quote]

It’s a bit different than in the snatch. It’s actually a bit more complex. I can’t shoot a video right now because my right index is still messed up and I can’t catch a clean. Can you come back to me in a week and ask the same question so that I don’t forget?

[quote]J Moose wrote:
Coach Thibs-

I can not thank you enough. [/quote]

I work with many regional level athletes I can tell you that they ALL can’t wait for the open to be finished… same for me as it puts my coaching on ho9ld.
[/quote]

Nice to know I’m not alone. Would love an article or 2 from you on the subject of CF. I know you’ve mentioned it as a possibility. I thought “the future of crossfit training” was a great read. The part about moving away from AMRAPS and working at mostly an 8/10 perceived effort scale was the most eye-opening for me.

[quote]J Moose wrote:Nice to know I’m not alone. Would love an article or 2 from you on the subject of CF. I know you’ve mentioned it as a possibility. I thought “the future of crossfit training” was a great read. The part about moving away from AMRAPS and working at mostly an 8/10 perceived effort scale was the most eye-opening for me.
[/quote]

It’s like in weightligting… most of the training volume should be done between 75-85%… 90-100% efforts are for short peaking periods.

No problem. Thanks CT!

THE BEST STRENGTH EXERCISE YOU AREN’T DOING

Good video, I will try those zercher walks soon