Biotest

Chris, What's Your Current Training?


#1

hey Chris. first off just wanna say i think your hsm threads are probably the best thing that TNation has to offer. I have never done the V-Diet but I just find the recipes real tasty! west african chicken stew was my favourite!
I was wondering if you could give a very brief glimpse into how you are currently training?

thanks a lot


#2

Sure. Currently the split looks like this:

Day 1: Upper Body
Day 2: Lower Body
Day 3: Cardio, Blast Strap workout, hike, StairMill, etc.
Repeat cycle, but with a full day off on the weekend.

Nothing too crazy right now as far as sets/reps/exercises go. I have some injuries I’m working around.

One thing I am enjoying is fat grip training again. Just got some Fat Gripz and I’m sticking them on everything.


#3

thank you. Nice and simple, quite a lot of wiggle room. that’s really what I find best about a simple upper/lower split or even push/pull/legs. DOnt have to worry much about “overlap”/recovery time etc and can just play it by ear to a degree.


#4

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
One thing I am enjoying is fat grip training again. Just got some Fat Gripz and I’m sticking them on everything.

[/quote]

I got Fat Gripz about a month ago. The first time I tried to use them deadlifting, it was an extremely humbling experience. I had to really reduce the weight just to hold onto the bar and my forearms were sore for a week. I love them though, one of the best things I ever bought.


#5

Deads are rough with Fat Gripz, no doubt. See also pull-ups.


#6

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Sure. Currently the split looks like this:

Day 1: Upper Body
Day 2: Lower Body
Day 3: Cardio, Blast Strap workout, hike, StairMill, etc.
Repeat cycle, but with a full day off on the weekend.

Nothing too crazy right now as far as sets/reps/exercises go. I have some injuries I’m working around.

One thing I am enjoying is fat grip training again. Just got some Fat Gripz and I’m sticking them on everything.

[/quote]

Have you ever used 5/3/1?


#7

I haven’t, jskrabac.


#8

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
I haven’t, jskrabac.
[/quote]

I’m quite curious now, if your doing a 4 day upper/lower split as it why have you never given 5/3/1 a go? Or is it simply better suited to a strenght goal over an aesthetic one?


#9

[quote]Oregand wrote:

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
I haven’t, jskrabac.
[/quote]

I’m quite curious now, if your doing a 4 day upper/lower split as it why have you never given 5/3/1 a go? Or is it simply better suited to a strenght goal over an aesthetic one?[/quote]

I was doing splits like that long before there was a program that also used that split. And I’ve just never looked into 5/3/1.


#10

Not to discredit wendler, because 5/3/1 is a fantastic program, but it is far from the be all end all of training that everyone must try. Its certainly a great starting place no matter what your goals in the gym(alot of would-be bodybuilders often forget how helpful beneficial a base of pure strength is, even in their sport), and truly could be the only program you ever need, depending on your goals.

That said, it is definitely a “pure strength” program. Great for powerlifters, football players, etc. Basically anywhere your strength and you will certainly see both sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy, though the focus is myofibrillar hypertrophy and CNS efficiency.


#11

[quote]matthew_gray wrote:
Not to discredit wendler, because 5/3/1 is a fantastic program, but it is far from the be all end all of training that everyone must try. Its certainly a great starting place no matter what your goals in the gym(alot of would-be bodybuilders often forget how helpful beneficial a base of pure strength is, even in their sport), and truly could be the only program you ever need, depending on your goals.

That said, it is definitely a “pure strength” program. Great for powerlifters, football players, etc. Basically anywhere your strength and you will certainly see both sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy, though the focus is myofibrillar hypertrophy and CNS efficiency. [/quote]

I hope you’re not implying that I believe it’s the end all be all just because I asked Chris if he did it. I was merely asking Chris, because he seems very open to trying a wide variety of systems. I was simply curious if 5/3/1 ever entered into his repertoire. I would not be surprised if he’s used it; however, I wasn’t surprised that he hasn’t.

I disagree that it is a “pure strength” program. It’s merely a template for how to perform your 4 core lifts for the week. Whatever you do after that point can be geared towards any goal you have in mind, whether it is pure strength, speed, fat loss, etc…It’s hard to find a training goal for which 5/3/1 would hurt your performance.