Biotest

Chips and Salsa Chip Replacement

I love chips and salsa but I am perfectly aware of the fact that tortilla chips are terrible for you. Since completing the V-Diet a few months ago, I’ve been avoiding chips and using salsa as a sauce on other foods (eggs, salads, etc…)

I recently found something called beanitos. Basically they are chips made from beans and rice instead of corn. They’re pretty good but in the end I realize that this is just a better bad option.

The beanitos got me thinking, does anyone know of a healthy chip replacement? I’ve sliced up peppers and used them to dip in salsa but it’s not as satisfying as the real thing. I’d appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

I used baked vegetables like rutabaga. Sweet potatoes work too, just a bit starchy to do daily for me.

Some of my pizza crust recipes can be used as softer, breadier chips as well. I also have a “cracker” recipe that’s mostly flax seed. I don’t have it written down but I if you search “flax cracker” I think I found on some Paleo cooking site.

This isn’t a chip but it’s good. I first saw this at a resort in Cabo. Take a Jicama and slice it into thin spears. It will be crunchier than the peppers idea. Use it in place of chips with guacamole or salsa.

I’ve been curious about this. I tried throwing a low carb tortilla in the toaster oven, but that was just not nice. I have been doing celery as my guac transporter though. I may have to search for this paleo cracker and give it a try. the celery is actually pretty good for some dips, it really give you a nice crunch.

If I really, REALLY want chips, I’ll just find a better bad option, like those fancy pants chips made out of brown rice and quinoa and stuff. These: http://www.foodshouldtastegood.com/#/home/

Not a health food in my book, but every now and then they won’t kill you, especially if timed around a lifting session or the day before/after a pulse fast. And I find they don’t re-ignite my bad food addictions like Fritos or Pringles would. Christ I love Pringles.

[quote]Chased1k wrote:
I’ve been curious about this. I tried throwing a low carb tortilla in the toaster oven, but that was just not nice. I have been doing celery as my guac transporter though. I may have to search for this paleo cracker and give it a try. the celery is actually pretty good for some dips, it really give you a nice crunch. [/quote]

If you cut them up and fry them, they’re actually pretty good. Salt them right when they’re done cooking. Its been awhile since I made them because I’m trying to get gluten out of my life, but for being low carb and high fiber they do the trick nicely

use bacon! just like epicmealtime:

Make this using La Tortilla Factory low-carb tortillas: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/baked-tortilla-chips-recipe/index.html

Haha man, although the bacon idea appeals to me most, I don’t think it’s very feasible since I pretty much go through an entire salsa container every time I open one. Gonna try the flax cracker recipe tonight. I’ll let everyone know how it turns out.

I’m definitely going to use this thread as an excuse to go through multiple jars of salsa a week.

A little late to the party here, but I’m a fan of celery with salsa - good shape for scooping, and a good crunch.

If you allow dairy and cheese you could make cheese crackers. Cheese + Salsa = Win. A bit high on the fat and calories side though. I use sharp cheddar, makes some nice crispy chips.

Got this one off the Precision Nutrition Site. Take Kale, vein the leaves, tear into chip sized portions, spray down with some Olive Oil Pam and bake until crisp. Time depends on your oven, try them frequently as you don’t want them to burn. Pretty decent substitute, nice crunch, low carb, high fiber.

Damn good suggestion Kevin…I’ve always come across kale chips in cookbooks and low carb diet sites but always forget. Getting the salsa on the kale chip seems like a delicate challenge.

A few months ago I was searching for rutabaga’s and I could not find one in Hawaii. Well at least not at the stores I checked all around my town. Then…last week I found a store that had sh*tloads of them. Now I’m not sure to make fries or chips now.

One thing I’ve always wanted to do when making “chips” was buy powdered seasoning from Amazon or somehwere…just have always had a feeling that powdered flavoring is not good for the body. Flavors like sour cream and onion, bbq, etc.