Biotest

Chia Seed Cookies

[center]Eat Cookies, Have Abs Anyway [/center]

My latest food discovery is chia seed flour.

Chia seed is just what you’re thinking: that stuff that makes green “hair” grow on Chia Pets and Chia Obamas. But it’s also a good source of omega-3 (the richest veggie source for EFAs in fact), it’s high in fiber, and it even has some protein.

I almost replaced the flax seeds in the <a href="http://velocity.tmuscle.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30#velocity-diet-3-0"target=“new”>V-Diet with chia, but there was one big issue: chia seed turns liquid into gelatin glop! Not palatable. Plus it’s kinda pricey.

Still, this flour made from chia seeds (and a touch of brown rice) is pretty cool for a white flour substitute. And remember, white and even whole-wheat flour has no place in anyone’s diet. Anyone’s.

Go check out chia flour at your local health food store. Here’s a recipe I came up with to get you started.

[center]Chris’s Chia Seed Cookies [/center]
The Stuff

1 cup chia seed flour
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/8 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of Splenda
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
2 omega-3 enriched eggs
1/4 cup Smart Balance omega-3 butter, softened
Pam cooking spray

Making the Stuff

1. Find your oven. It’s probably somewhere near the fridge. Preheat that puppy to 350 degrees.

2. First, you’ll toast your coconut, which isn’t as painful as it sounds. Spread the shredded coconut out on a flat, dry pan. Toast 4 or 5 minutes in the oven. Keep an eye on it. Coconut goes from toasted to totaled in about 45 seconds. Just like you at New Years.

3. In a bowl, combine chia flour with baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together.

4. In another bowl, mix the butter and Splenda together. Than add the vanilla and eggs. I use a hand mixer for this. Borrow one from your granny.

5. Combine the flour mixture with the butter mixture. Add in toasted coconut. Combine it all with your grubby paws. Or a mixer.

1. Roll into small balls, then flatten the balls into cookies. [insert wit here] Toss onto a cookie or “jellyroll pan” coated with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes or so.

2. Eat as soon as they come out of the oven. Ignore the searing pain and focus on the yummy flavor. Or, if you must, allow to cool first.

Options

• A tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder makes… you guessed it… chocolate cookies.

• Or add dashes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves for variety.

• A scoop of vanilla <a href="https://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_store?src=vdiet"target=“new”>Metabolic Drive will add some protein. Add a sprinkle of water if needed during mixing.

Great portable food choice. I use them on long trips and smuggle them into movie theaters. Give 'em a shot!

Sounds great, chris. Ill have to try this as soon as I finsih my mini Velocity Diet. Im doing 2.5 wks prior to vacation. I have substituted chia seeds for the flax, I dont mind the gel, it blends well in the blender. FYI did the velocity about 1.5 years ago, lost 8 lbs during the month. Im 12 days in and already lost 8 lbs. the difference is last time I mixed cheap protein with Metabolic Drive, this time only Biotest supplements!

[quote]kim5np wrote:
sounds great, chris. Ill have to try this as soon as I finsih my mini Velocity Diet. Im doing 2.5 wks prior to vacation. I have substituted chia seeds for the flax, I dont mind the gel, it blends well in the blender. FYI did the velocity about 1.5 years ago, lost 8 lbs during the month. Im 12 days in and already lost 8 lbs. the difference is last time I mixed cheap protein with Metabolic Drive, this time only Biotest supplements![/quote]

Awesome work!

Quick question, do you prefer chia seed flower over say, almond meal or flax seed powder for any particular reason or is it just another good option for mixing it up?

Just curious, Great post Chris, saving this recipe in my growing list of healthy recipes to try once i am back home and can cook again this summer.

JF

[quote]JudsonFit wrote:
Quick question, do you prefer chia seed flower over say, almond meal or flax seed powder for any particular reason or is it just another good option for mixing it up?

[/quote]

I’m all for mixing it up.

After some experimentation in the kitchen I’m sure I’ll find that some of these not-really-flour flours are better than others for certain tasks. Right now I’m playing around with everything. Making breakfast muffins for a road trip with chia next, something I used to use coconut flour and almond flour for. We’ll see how it works.

And along with almond milk I picked up some unsweetened hemp milk today. We’ll see how that works for recipes too.

These next two questions are a bit random but here they go anyways:

1. Is the physique clinic still going? Recently read about it and just wondering if this project is still alive?

2. Will you or any other T-Nation guys be in Colorado much this summer?? I know you have mentioned you live in Texas but go to Colorado,i ask because being from Colorado i live their during the summer and was wondering if there is any possibility of meeting/training with or just talking face to face with the guys i am learning so much from.

JF

[quote]JudsonFit wrote:

1. Is the physique clinic still going? Recently read about it and just wondering if this project is still alive?

2. Will you or any other T-Nation guys be in Colorado much this summer?? I know you have mentioned you live in Texas but go to Colorado,i ask because being from Colorado i live their during the summer and was wondering if there is any possibility of meeting/training with or just talking face to face with the guys i am learning so much from.

JF[/quote]

1. Nope. Not saying we’ll never do something like that again, but no plans for right now as far as I know.

2. A lot of T-Muscle writers travel around and do seminars. You can probably find out more at their personal sites. I hope to get into Colorado this summer for a visit to HQ. We’ll see!

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]JudsonFit wrote:

JF[/quote]

1. Nope. Not saying we’ll never do something like that again, but no plans for right now as far as I know.

2. A lot of T-Muscle writers travel around and do seminars. You can probably find out more at their personal sites. I hope to get into Colorado this summer for a visit to HQ. We’ll see!

[/quote]

Alright, good to know thanks for the quick response!

If you do come out to Colorado this summer i would love to meet ya, maybe get in the gym for a session to learn! Hopefully it can work out, let me know if anything like this is ever possible!

Jf

What do you think about the possibility of the protein denaturing due to the heat of the oven. Someone said to me that intense heat could do this to protein, I don’t know myself so I though I would ask?

And I’ve had a idea how to make another type of cookies, never tried it, and in fact just though it up now see what you think. I’m going to try it out soon as I have my HSM coming up tomorrow. But if anyone has a go before let me know.

I used to make home made almond milk by blending almonds and water in blender. When you pour the milk out your left with a sort of mush almond thing. If dry that out in the oven you get like a toasted bread crumb thing.

So I think if you mix that up with some nut butter and a scoop of protein powder, make it in to cookie shapes and put it in the oven till its cooked, you will have some milk and cookies by the end.

Like I said haven’t done it yet but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

I’ll post pics when I get round to making them.

Will do, JF.

[quote]11kamita wrote:
What do you think about the possibility of the protein denaturing due to the heat of the oven. Someone said to me that intense heat could do this to protein, I don’t know myself so I though I would ask?

And I’ve had a idea how to make another type of cookies, never tried it, and in fact just though it up now see what you think. I’m going to try it out soon as I have my HSM coming up tomorrow. But if anyone has a go before let me know.

I used to make home made almond milk by blending almonds and water in blender. When you pour the milk out your left with a sort of mush almond thing. If dry that out in the oven you get like a toasted bread crumb thing.

So I think if you mix that up with some nut butter and a scoop of protein powder, make it in to cookie shapes and put it in the oven till its cooked, you will have some milk and cookies by the end.

Like I said haven’t done it yet but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

I’ll post pics when I get round to making them.[/quote]

1. No worries on the protein denaturing thing. i consulted a few protein experts and Biotest to ask about this.

While very high heat applied for a long time may change up some of the protein’s properties, even that doesn’t “ruin” it.

So, 8 to 20 minutes, the typical bake time for most flour-based recipes, is perfectly okay. Thank God, because I love my flax bread, almond muffins, and chia cookies.

1. That should work. Might need some baking powder and/or baking soda though, or the addition of egg or egg white. I find that even when I screw up these baking experiments, the results are still edible and quite good.

That great news I love my protein baked stuff but I stopped fearing that whole problem, glad to know i can start up again.

this felt appropriate…

Chia seed muffins turned out great. Ugly, but great. Dense, cakey, very cool.

I added a lot of Superfood so you’re getting about a full serving per two or three muffins. When’s the last time you had low-carb muffins full of veggies, berries, and the good stuff from green tea?

Chocolate batch kinda looks like dog poo.

I can’t decide whether that’s bad or awesomely awesome. I’m leaning towards awesome.

Chris,

Thanks for the great recipe. Is there anything we can substitute for the coconut (I’m allergic).

Thanks!

[quote]Aphamos wrote:
Chris,

Thanks for the great recipe. Is there anything we can substitute for the coconut (I’m allergic).

Thanks![/quote]

I’m thinking oatmeal, if you don’t mind the grains and extra carbs. Maybe a blend of oatmeal and milled flax seed?

I’m gonna try making them cookies next weekend, ill add some low-carb-MD to them, ill report back how they turn out.

This is a higher-carb option, but I’ve used Black and Fava Bean flour in a cookie recipe before and it worked out nicely.