Biotest

Cheesy, Meaty Muffins

[center]Cheesy, Meaty Breakfast Muffins [/center]
[center] [/center]
“Chris, you say to steer clear of milk, but many of your recipes contain cheese. Why is that?”

It’s a common question with a simple answer: Take one look at the macros of milk and you’ll find crappy carbs and sugar. Now look at the label on a package of cheese: carb-free or nearly so. In short, most of the “bad stuff” you find in milk doesn’t find its way into cheese. Plus, it’s just really easy to overdo a liquid compared to a solid. (To scratch your milk itch, switch to unsweetened almond milk, a staple in my house.)

So, cheese falls into the “okay” category. Some may want to get rid of dairy entirely, or ditch it temporarily when they’re fine-tuning, but most of us can eat cheese and stay lean 'n mean.

If you fall into that category, then here’s a cheesy breakfast you’ll enjoy.

The Stuff

1 3/4 cup almond flour, blanched
1 tablespoon Splenda (optional, but gives it a sweeter, corn bread flavor)
1 tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup ham or Canadian bacon
1 omega-3 egg, beaten
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoon olive oil

Making It

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Mix everything together. A hand mixer will make short work of this.

3. Pour into muffin pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.

Yield: 6-8 muffins

[center] [/center]
Variations

• Change cheeses. Part-skim mozzarella is great.

• Change meats. Pre-browned turkey sausage, FTW.

Enjoy.
[center] [/center]

Note: More cooking tips and pics available at my <a href="https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisShugart"target=“new”>Twitter page. Follow along if you want!

Looks awesome.

Man you just have the best ideas

i’m sure you’ve answered this before, but where do you get your almond flour? i’ve only found one store that sells it, but they don’t carry a blanched version. do you just buy it bulk online?

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
i’m sure you’ve answered this before, but where do you get your almond flour? i’ve only found one store that sells it, but they don’t carry a blanched version. do you just buy it bulk online?[/quote]

Bulk online: http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/blanchedalmondflour5lb.aspx

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
i’m sure you’ve answered this before, but where do you get your almond flour? i’ve only found one store that sells it, but they don’t carry a blanched version. do you just buy it bulk online?[/quote]

Bulk online: http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/blanchedalmondflour5lb.aspx [/quote]
sweetness. i kind of assumed i would just have to order it.

You don’t want it locally, it’s 10$ a pound.

This is my recipe for meat muffins that’s really heavy on the meat. It’s a bastardized version of a recipe I got elsewhere, but I can’t remember exactly whose it was. I’ve been looking for a substitute for the oats though.

2 lbs. Ground sirloin (or turkey, or chicken, or bison…your choice really.)

3 egg whites

1 cup oats

1/2 tsp. cumin

1/2 tsp. italian seasoning

2 tsp. dry mustard

1 tsp. black pepper

2 tsp. smoked paprika

1 tsp. salt

3 cloves garlic, minced (I use 4 but I’m a garlic fiend. You can also just throw a couple tbsp. of garlic powder if you don’t feel like peeling and mincing garlic.)

1 small onion or 1/2 a larger one, finely chopped

2 celery stalks, finely chopped

2-3 tbsp. BBQ sauce of your choice

Directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1. Dumps ingredients into big bowl.

2. Get all up in it. Use your hands and mix that shit. Make it into the shape of an ass. Giggle to yourself.

3. Form into balls (giggle again) about the size of tennis balls (maybe smaller.) Put them into a sprayed muffin pan.

4. Bake for 40 minutes.

5. When you take them out of the pan, let them cool on paper towels.

6. Eat all of it, then take a shit the size of TC the next morning.

7. Don’t do #6.

Forgot to post a pic

[quote]CafeThief wrote:
Forgot to post a pic[/quote]

Very cool.

I used to use oats myself. The almond flour makes a nice sub.

Here’s a variation with light pork sausage. This beats the ham version in my book!

Just pre-brown half a tube, then add to batter.

Best breakfast EVER. Except for maybe the no-grain oatmeal. Or the almond coconut flour muffins with Metabolic Drive goop.

Dude - fat free cheddar cheese? In the name of all that is holy, WTF?

[quote]Icarus wrote:
Dude - fat free cheddar cheese? In the name of all that is holy, WTF? [/quote]

Drops calories significantly. Same volume of food for far less cals = satiety. Plenty of healthy fats in other aspects of the meal.

Made some today using a coconut flour muffin recipe as the base instead of almond flour, with some venison sausage from my family and fresh, whole milk mozzarella.

Perhaps my taste buds simply lack some capacity, but I cannot taste fat-free cheeses. It would require cupfuls to get the same flavor as just a little full-fat for me.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/2/b/2bd66_ORIG-DSC01412.jpg

Made these, but threw in a bag of broccoli. Meat is great, but veggies are king! Truly portable meal now. Pros: Veggie included, plus a few more muffins (volumized). Con: Didn’t hold together as well. Might need an extra egg?? Great none the less.

[quote]Wolfman155 wrote:
Made these, but threw in a bag of broccoli. Meat is great, but veggies are king! Truly portable meal now. Pros: Veggie included, plus a few more muffins (volumized). Con: Didn’t hold together as well. Might need an extra egg?? Great none the less.[/quote]

Those look great!

There aren’t super stiff muffins to begin with; they’re on the fragile side. But if they felt “watery” then you may want to drain or squeeze your broccoli next time, depending on how you prepared it. Veggies bleed off their water content when cooked.

I used frozen veggies. Nuked them. Then pressed it with paper towel to soak up water. Threw all in food processor and smoothed it out. They were a little more fragile, but still head together even with a whole bag of broccoli. Thanks for the recipe Chris. You have helped keep my wife feed and healthy during her early mornings.

I made these this morning. Needing a bit more salt than a pinch for next time.

End product was great, just needed a bit more salt to balance everything out. Also mine came out pretty darn firm and darker than yours Chris.

Maybe a touch more splenda, will def play with later this week!