Biotest

CDMac's V-Diet Log

T-Nation actually had a pretty good article on this and I’m struggling to find it. Timing it to where fish oil was taking 60min prior to training, and then taking it 60minues or so after training. It was supposed to keep the fat burning going a bit longer before it started slowing down to work on digestion of fish oil. (Something to that effect, don’t quote me, I’ll try to find the article and post it for you.

I think it boiled down to this as an example…if you were going to do your NEPA fasted first thing in the morning. If you take your fish oil then you’re still fasting to a small extent. However, your digesting that fish oil and the fat from that is also being used as fuel rather than what’s stored. I know it’s a different type of fat, but it’s still an “alternative fuel” vs brown fat, white fat. Maybe @Chris_Colucci can clarify? Maybe they know which article i’m referring to. I’d rather it get clarified that provide bad info.

The training is a set back…it’s still activity. I’ve found the training is VERY conducive to the nutrition laid out…they put alot of work into this. I’ve noticed it with the rest intervals being lowered each week as they’ve calculated your adaptation to new exercises. You get more efficient with the training.

Repeat after me. There are no PR’s worth attempting during a cut. lol

My opinion…if you’re that amped about getting started…atleast you finished the original 28 day plan…you can always do it again after 3 months of 5/3/1…and I would be surprised if your results are better.

Hurry up and pop that child into her Devil Dog and get on TRT. :wink:

Yeah, I hear you on that. I wasn’t going for PR’s just trying to get a solid Rep Max (not going balls out on it) so I can set my training maxes for the 5/3/1 template I’m going to run.

Either way, I should have just pushed that out one more week and maybe even 2 and given myself a week to eat at maintenance before cranking up the training.

Bro, I am 46, have 3 grandkids, had a vasectomy at age 24 and am already on TRT (looking for a new Dr. still since I moved).

BOOM!

Goal is to be in the best shape of my life and look the best naked by the time I’m 48.

I hear ya man. Still got 4 teens in the house at 39. No grandkids and I better not have any for atleast another 10 years lol. I think I was thinking of BigSwig when i mentioned trt. Had ya mixed up for a half second

DAY 32 - Thursday 11/02/2017

0700 - Breakfast Metabolic Drive/Superfood/Flameout/Hot-Rox(1)
0800 - 0900 Workout (Plazma)
1000 - Metabolic Drive/Flameout
1300 - Metabolic Drive/Flameout/Hot-Rox(2)
1630 - Metabolic Drive/Flameout
1930 - Dinner (HSM) / Flameout

HSM: 652 kcal
6oz chicken breast
1cup pico de gallo
4 corn tortillas
48g avocado
.5cup cilantro lime rice

Shredded Chicken Tacos
  • Add 2 pounds of chicken breast to boiling water (enough to cover the breasts)
  • boil for 18 minutes
  • Pull from water and let cool enough to start pulling it apart/shredding it with a fork
    • basically you just use the fork to scrape meat away from the main breast until it’s shredded
  • mix up 2 packages of Taco seasoning mix (you can buy these at the grocery usually by the gravy/sauce packets)
    • I like to add additional cumin, chipotle chili powder, and some chili powder blend to the mix to spice it up
  • Pour taco mix over the shredded meat (usuall mix 2/3 to one cup of water for each packet and maybe some oil - just follow package instructions for that)
  • heat the chicken meat in a large skillet and add onions and peppers if you like
  • heat up some corn tortillas and add your mixture of meat and veggies
  • Add avocado, cheese, pico de gallo etc to taste

Cilantro Lime Rice

NEPA:
No NEPA today

Notes:

• Workout today was establishing training maxes for next week’s start of 5/3/1
  • Worked Bench Press today
  • Worked up to a 3RM of 195
  • 195x3 = 1RM of 214 and a training max (rounded to nearest 5 lbs) of 195 for Bench Press
  • Need to keep an eye on this as this seems heavy to me - surprised I was able to go 195x3

OLD MAN SWAG BABY!

• I’m happy that I still have some of my old strength
  • not setting any world records or anything but I was sure I’d be much lower on all these lifts so far but worked to prove myself wrong
  • Also did chins and dips as well as low to high cables to finish chest superset with walking bodyweight lunges (2x 30 yards)

BWHAHAHAAHA

…and I’m still a BAMF! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That you are sir.

DAY 33 - Friday 11/3/2017

0730 - 0830 - Workout - (Plazma)/Superfood/Hot-Rox(1)
0900 - Breakfast - Metabolic Drive/Flameout
1130 - Metabolic Drive/Flameout
1400 - Metabolic Drive/Flameout/Hot-Rox(2)
1400 - 1500 NEPA
1930 - Dinner (HSM) / Flameout
2230 - Metabolic Drive/Flameout

HSM: 562 kcal
Leftovers - workout day but stayed under 600 calories

CDMac’s burrito bowl

6oz shredded chicken
1cup pico de gallo
48g avocado
.5cup cilantro lime rice
100g garlic-red-potatoes

NEPA:
4.2 miles / 1:01:29 / 511 kcal burned

Day33

Notes:

• Workout today was establishing training maxes for next week’s start of 5/3/1
  • Worked Squat today
  • Worked up to a 8RM of 225
  • 225x8 = 1RM of 285 and a training max (rounded to nearest 5 lbs) of 260 for Squat
  • Of the 4 lifts I tested for Rep Maxes this week, I stayed the most conservative with the Squat
    • I did this because of prior back issues and just wanting to be safe
    • Also, I didn’t have a belt (came in the mail today) and didn’t want to push too hard without the extra bracing
    • Just practiced good breath control and internal bracing and I feel like it’ll be a good Training Max
  • Also did 4X5 @135 and 1x10 @135 for some form and shoulder work
  • Shoulder still kills when getting to heavier weight but starting to find best spot for my arms/hands

Establishing training maxes with no protein in the system just Plazma? Hope breakfast wasn’t too far behind. Yikes.

Belt usage…I would recommend doing your warm ups with out it. I’d also recommend not using it until you’re getting into 60% or more of your capacity. You want to build your chain and core up which will help curtail some of the back issues.

Back issues, get a good Licensed Massage Therapist that works with body builders and power lifters or someone with a sports medicine background. I believe they are paramount in preventing and helping condition yourself to prevent injury. You may even notice PR’s are coming days after a visit. Your hips can cause alot of the back pain, the glutes as they tighten and contract will begin to pull on the lower back. Most of the time I see the back pain as a symptom of glutes pulling on them. (LMT confirmed this) They’ll teach you how to work them out as to minimize that pain.
Check out “Becoming A Supple Leopard -The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance”

Shoulder pain…don’t force it if it’s excruciating…if it’s uncomfortable…grin and bear it if there isn’t a comparable exercise. Try to minimize anti-inflammatory pain relief. Kills those gains.

Breathing is definitely good…lemme tell ya again about how I popped my damn eye blood vessels and blinded myself doing squats with 15 second rest intervals. You get winded, you start to hold your breath to brace yourself. I got sloppy, bad shit happens.

Lifts look good brother, keep it up. Make sure you take some time off after about 3 weeks of it though and heal up.

Like I said before, doing this last week of V-Diet and trying to ramp up to start 5/3/1 is probably not the smartest thing I’ve ever done but hopefully not the dumbest either…

Yeah, I used to wear a belt before but only on my working sets. I’ll see how the 60% guideline works out for me. As you mention, I don’t want to prevent building a strong posterior chain and core by using it ALL THE TIME.

I hear ya there. I’m still settling in after moving and I’ll be moving again (into a home we’re building) in February so I’m still finding all the right service people, Dr, Chiro, Massage, etc.
I had a GREAT therapist back in 2008-2012 so I agree they are worth every penny.

Yessir, that’s the case for me. I’ve been doing Agile 8 / Nimble 11 (plus a few other hip mobility movements) as part of my daily routine and did it before and after lower body lifts this week.

[quote=“tstoddard79, post:89, topic:7143”]
Check out “Becoming A Supple Leopard -The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance”
[/quote] <<— note to self to give this a look. Thanks!

Shoulder is so far a “deal with it daily” pain and not excruciating. It’s chronic and constant and I’ll probably eventually need to get it repaired but it’s been “the same” for a long long time (since I thrashed it playing centerfield throwing out a runner at home plate in a men’s softball league back in 1999). Then again shredded it doing the same damn thing some years later. <— Have I mentioned I’m a stubborn fuck?

That’s STILL funny!

I’ll be doing OG 5/3/1 Triumvirate which normally has a deload every 4th week but in Beyond, Jim lays out a 7 week protocol (2 5/3/1 cycles back to back and then delaod week 7).

I’ll definitely listen to my body after week 3 and if I need to deload then, I’ll do that.

Thanks for all the advice man! Much appreciated.

I’ll likely start a training log as a way to record my progress and to tap into the wealth of knowledge here as I move forward.

Definitely! Would love to continue on beyond Velocity with you and keep in touch. If it’s any consolation I still haven’t decided what I’m doing once I’m done with velocity. I know what my goals are, i’m just undecided on how I want to get there. I’ve got enough protein to do another week, so I’m probably going to order more and do another week or two. I’m still not down where I want to be and I don’t predict that happening in this last week.

yeah man, I weighed myself today and I am stuck at 170.2. So up a little from my last check in. Body comp is changing but scale weight not so much. I think it’s time for me to jump off the V-Diet train and start building some damn size.

Yeah, I’ll be starting a training log on T-Nation and I’ll link it here when I do.

There’s going to be a Transformation challenge over on T-Nation starting Jan 1st. I committed to doing that and trying to do a gain challenge for myself when most will be going the other direction (leaning out).

For sure, keep in contact and if you don’t already have a T-Nation account, you should check it out (I’m assuming most people on here also visit T-Nation but I could be totally wrong about that).

This was freaking killer @CDMac24. Made this last night and wow!

The cake was for my sons birthday…I didn’t touch it unfortunately.

I’m coming over next time you cook this meal!

That guac is the bomb too. My sister makes it usually. It’s avacado, lime, and non-fat plain greek yogurt. I managed to feed 20 people and had just enough for a few prep-meals for HSM’s. I’m supposed to be done with the diet on Saturday. I’ve made great progress, but I think I may stretch it out another two weeks. I may be able to hit single digit body fat at this rate…but my saggy as skin in those areas will prevent it from looking all that good.

@tstoddard79 - great work brother.

I probably hit 12% or so. Been bad timing to get good pics but I ended my Diet on Saturday and resumed eating again normally (sorta) on Sunday.

Funny thing is that now that I’m trying to go from drastic caloric deficit to a +250-300 caloric surplus, my body is like, WTF???!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Completed my first 5/3/1 workout this morning and it felt great even though I admit it kicked my ass some but that’s what was great about it to be honest.

I’ve got to wrap this log up later today and then start up a training log.

I’ll keep checking on you man; it sounds like you’re really making some great progress.

DAY 34 - Saturday 11/4/2017 - Final Day of V-Diet

0830 - Metabolic Drive/Flameout//Superfood/Hot-Rox(1)
1200 - Metabolic Drive/Flameout
1530 - Metabolic Drive/Flameout/Hot-Rox(2)
1900 - Dinner (HSM) / Flameout
2130 - Metabolic Drive/Flameout

HSM: 576 kcal
top round steak
@CDMac24’s 100g salad
9oz gralic red potatoes (leftovers)

NEPA:
Couple of walks with the wife and dogs
Not at quick pace but just leisurely - probably total of 1.5 to 2 miles

Notes:

• Today was final day of V-Diet for me after 5 weeks
  • All day was thinking about how I’m going to transition from caloric deficit to +200-300 to start 5/3/1
  • Not sure how body will handle all the food and/or calories - I’m going to find out though

MEASUREMENT DATE
--------------------------------- 10/1/2017 10/8/2017 10/15/2017 10/22/2017 10/30/2017 11/05/2017
WEIGHT 178.8 173 174 169.8 169.4 167.8
NECK 16.4 15.7 15.2 15.3 15.3 16
SHOULDERS 45.2 46.1 46.2 47.1 46.6 47
CHEST 37.7 38.8 39 39 39.3 39.7
WAIST ABOVE NAVEL 33.2 32.7 31.8 31 31.4 31
WAIST ACROSS NAVEL 34.8 33.9 33.1 32.9 31.6 31
WAIST BELOW NAVEL 35.7 34.6 33.5 33.1 31.9 32
HIPS 38.9 38.8 38.7 39 37.7 36.2
BICEP L 13.1 13.3 13.2 14 13.6 13.2
BICEP R 13 13.2 13.3 13.7 13.3 13.1
THIGH L 21 22.6 22.6 22.3 22.0 21.7
THIGH R 20.8 22.2 22.2 22.1 21.7 21.3
CALF L 15.3 15.1 15.1 15.5 15.1 14.2
CALF R 15.5 15.3 15.2 15.8 15.3 14.4

WEEK 1
WEEKLY POUNDS DIFF -5.8 lbs
WEEKLY INCHES DIFF +1.7 in

WEEK 2
WEEKLY POUNDS DIFF +1.0 lbs
WEEKLY INCHES DIFF -3.2 in

WEEK 3
WEEKLY POUNDS DIFF -4.2 lbs
WEEKLY INCHES DIFF -1.7 in

WEEK 4
WEEKLY POUNDS DIFF -0.4 lbs
WEEKLY INCHES DIFF -6.0 in

WEEK 5
WEEKLY POUNDS DIFF -1.6 lbs
WEEKLY INCHES DIFF -3.6 in

TOTAL POUNDS DIFF -11.0 lbs
TOTAL INCHES DIFF -9.4 in

NOTES

• Scale weight started moving again and I noticed some pretty nice changes in leanness
  • stil have the damn stomach pooch to some degree but sides and abs looking good
  • not sure what my BF% is but this is leanest I’ve been since at least 1998 or so
  • Will have to sacrifice a little leanness to start growth phase but know I can use this again as a tool to really lean out
  • If I wasn’t so antsy to start training and building some size (or if it was closer to summer) I’d probably run another couple of weeks
  • As it is, I’m signing off this log and will post a link to my training log as soon as I start that
  • This has been a great learning experience for me so I know what I can do and how my body responds to different caloric intake
  • I will need to get some pictures up and probably will take those tomorrow morning as yesterday and this morning was too crammed to get them done
  • Good luck to the rest of you out there and anyone who stumbles across this log in the future