Biotest

CB's V-Diet Log

It all started last Monday… My wife came home with a pair of shorts for me that I couldn’t squeeze into to save my life. I’ve been a long-time reader of T Nation and have known about the V-Diet for some time now. So here goes…

Starting Stats:

Ht: 6’ 4 in
Wt: 249.6 lbs
Neck: 17
Shoulders: 56.5
Up Chest: 53
Low Chest: 50
Navel: 41
Waist @ largest: 44.5
Hips: 47
Left arm: 18.75
Right arm: 18.66
Left leg: 27.25
Right leg: 27.25
Left calf: 16.5
Right calf: 16.33
Left ankle: 10.66
Right ankle: 10.66

Day one seems to have gone off without a hitch. The shakes went down no problem. I was a little concerned being that I’m lactose intolerant and have never tried Metabolic Drive. I’m being proactive though and taking lactase enzyme with every shake. Why tempt fate?

One side effect I’m noticing is that I’ve been uncharacteristically bitchy. Anybody else???

Training also went better than anticipated. Some of that anger carried over into the gym at work and I was able to grind out some good numbers. Have been on a full-body training regimen for close to a year now so it’s nice to keep that aspect the same.

No before photos right now. We’ll see how I make out at the end and possibly post a comparison.

Should’ve added training info:

-20 minutes at the dog park followed by a 45 minute walk with the puppy for my daily NEPA

Following the advanced program:
-Barbell row with 235 lbs for 5, 5, 4, 4, 2
-Overhead squat 145 lbs for 5, 5, 5, 4, 1
-Dip with 2 x 45lb plates on belt for 5, 5, 4, 3, 3
-Ab wheel roll out for 5, 5, 5, 5

The 30 secs rest between is a killer. Really trying to focus on speed/form and stopping when either breaks. Going to stick with the advanced program so I continue to challenge myself. Not looking forward to 15 secs rest during the last week though.

Welcome the the crew!

As far as being bitchy is concered, it affects everyone differently. I haven’t noticed any change in temprament as yet (only on day 5 though). I have read a couple of forums where people have said they feel really aggressive, and others where they have said they felt really irritable.

Good luck fella, get some photo’s up here. It really does help motivation!

Thanks for the luck. I do think you’re right about the pics being a good motivator. I’ll post them as soon as I transfer them to the computer.

Day two went very well. I made the mistake of telling a buddy at work about my new diet. The bastard rubbed it in my face every chance he could get. Even going as far as ordering dinner from my fav restaurant. At least my bad attitude from day one is gone and I didn’t end up killing him.

Shame… it sounds like he deserved it! :wink:

The only people who know about mine is the missus and 1 guy from work (who is following with interest as he might look to do it after me).

There are 2 camps about people knowing:
1)The more people know the less likely you are to give up (look like a failure).
2)The more people that know, the chance there is of 1 of them being a 'toxic person’

Good article.

Thanks for the posts davidtaylor138. Much appreciated.

Day three = DONE!

Seems like I’ve fallen into a nice little routine. Haven’t strayed from the diet whatsoever. I think I’m doing pretty well considering the continuing offers of Boston cream doughnuts (my favourite…er… ex-favourite) and chicken McNuggets (also an ex-favourite) from the toxic individuals at work. They’re all so surprised when I turn down extra food. Guess I was becoming known as the human garbage disposal.

Also been avoiding my Italian mother-in-law like the plague. Mangi Mangi… isn’t exactly what I want to hear right now.

Not going to lie though. Dying for my HSM. Starting to feel like I’m 8 and it’s Christmas Eve and I know there’s a Nintendo 64 waiting for me under the tree.

So here I go into day four. Just finishing my bedtime shake. The peanut butter/chocolate tastes f-ing amazing.

Good luck to all the V-Dieters out there. It isn’t easy and not many people understand.

best of luck

Good luck!!! From your stats it sounds like you are a monster. This diet will work wonders for you especially if you are already at the advanced workout level.

I am very satisfied with my results and I only did the beginner routine. Have had lots of injuries in the last four years so figured I should be careful.

Just keep your eye on the prize at the end and don’t listen to any of the toxic people!

Best of luck!

[quote]ach34 wrote:
Good luck!!! From your stats it sounds like you are a monster. This diet will work wonders for you especially if you are already at the advanced workout level.

I am very satisfied with my results and I only did the beginner routine. Have had lots of injuries in the last four years so figured I should be careful.

Just keep your eye on the prize at the end and don’t listen to any of the toxic people!

Best of luck![/quote]

Wish I was 6’4 & 250…

Thanks guys. A cookie monster maybe.

Today was a test of my willpower, no doubt about that. I didn’t have work to keep me occupied and made the mistake of hanging around the house for most of the day. My wife thinks I’m nuts because I could SMELL her open a bottle of dill pickles from the other side of the house. I sat there and watched her down a juicy Lick’s burger while I drank my supper. But enough whining. Didn’t stray and staying strong.

Being extra careful measuring the flax seed, and that’s all I’m going to say about that.

Didn’t have the balls to post the before pics… yet. The wife has been harassing me about it because she too thinks it’ll be a good motivator.

Thanks again for all the support!

Welcome to the V-Diet! I have to say I was very hesitant to post my starting and progress pictures. It’s a personal choice but it does help to see results others will point those out, even if you don’t see them yourself. It helps and it is indeed motivational! Good luck to you!

Nothing special about day five. Getting better about spacing the shakes out a little more evenly. Trying my hardest to be diligent but sometimes work ties me up for a little bit.

Had another great workout (fueled by anger due to bullshit office politics). Actually enjoying the short rest periods between sets. Strange…

HSM DAY TOMORROW!!! Had planned on having it for dinner but since I’ll be working yet again, going to have it for lunch instead. I didn’t want to have to microwave my first solid meal in almost a week.

Day six…HSM

Had my HSM for lunch instead of supper because I was working evenings again. I grilled a humongous rib steak (no top sirloin at store), asparagus, zucchini, steamed some broccoli, and baked a sweet potato. No butter/margarine on anything which is new for me. I tried to sprinkle some cinnamon on my sweet potato but in my excited state grabbed the cumin instead. I didn’t want to scrape any off because I’d be sacrificing potato. So my potato tasted like poop… idiot. Next HSM will be the baseball sirloin at the Keg. Mmmmm

Things are still going well. Partner at work slipped a take out bag from my favourite restaurant into an inter-office envelope addressed to me. I opened it and laughed it off but secretly visualized his slow death.

Day seven - V Burn

Had to work overtime and didn’t get a chance to train during my lunch break so I had to do the V Burn at one in the morning. This thing sucked. Obviously my conditioning isn’t exactly where I want it to be but I thought I’d do better than I did.

Next time, going to pace myself a little better and not try to blast through it. Went strong for the first three circuits but died pretty quickly after that.

The diet portion is still going well. I’m on holidays now for a month but not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Trying to plan getaways and BBQs around HSMs. Is/was anybody else pissed at themselves for starting the V-Diet in the first place?

Forgot to post first week’s stats. I’ll just post the things that changed.

Weight: Down 7.4lbs
Navel: Down 1"
Waist @ largest: Down 2"
Hips: Down 2"

Everything else more or less stayed the same. I think the weight will probably start coming off a little slower now but not really concerned with weight. As long as I keep losing from these three areas I’ll be happy.

Take care everybody. Good luck!

Day eight

Day eight was supposed to be a training day but instead I spent it trying to find a new place to train. My gym membership expired (pay year in advance) sooner than I thought so I was scrambling around yesterday. I refuse to go to a cookie cutter neon pink and green ‘fitness club’. If my basement wasn’t finished or my garage wasn’t full of junk I’d just buy the basics and train at home. Looks like I’ll have to branch out to surrounding cities for ideas. Frustrating… okay enough rant.

Nothing special about day eight either. Hunger pangs are long gone and it feels like I’m just drinking the shakes because I know I’m supposed to.

Nine

Done. Today would have been ‘pizza day’ a couple of weeks ago. Had some weird cravings (roast beef and horseradish) late last night.

Training was great. Move up a little bit with the weight and kept with the 25 second rest periods.

No post for day ten. Lot’s of NEPA though.

Day 11 is almost done. Shit the bed with the workout today though. I was debating on whether or not to eat before training and decided not to because of time constraints. Huge mistake. I was dead tired by the end of the second exercise. Had to push myself really hard to get through this one today.

Tomorrow is HSM day and I’m already salivating.

[quote]CB wrote:
No post for day ten. Lot’s of NEPA though.

Day 11 is almost done. Shit the bed with the workout today though. I was debating on whether or not to eat before training and decided not to because of time constraints. Huge mistake. I was dead tired by the end of the second exercise. Had to push myself really hard to get through this one today.

Tomorrow is HSM day and I’m already salivating. [/quote]

Yeah I figured out pretty quickly that I should try and train (NEPA too) within 1-2 hours of downing a shake. Otherwise…I “hit the wall” pretty quickly, and my training really suffered.

Trial and error I guess. At least now I know when in doubt, eat.

HSM was last night… Delicious. I weighed and measured first thing in the morning. Nothing earth shattering this week which I’m seeing is the norm. My weight went down another three pounds (239.6) and I think I lost about an inch or so off of my waist. I’ve found when losing the smaller amounts it’s a little harder to tell (human error). Going by the way clothes fit is a nice guideline though, not to mention a boost of motivation.

Day 13 today. Almost halfway there. Another test of strength today… Rained out of golf so hit the 19th hole early. Watched my buddies down beer and pub food while I sipped water and got made fun of.

Great progress so far on the V-Diet. Keep up the great work. Pics and measurements do help, much more than the scale sometimes.