Biotest

Cast Iron Frittata

[center]Attempted Murder. And Breakfast. [/center]
The Plot

My mother was trying to kill me, that much was clear.

Just ten years old and soon to be a victim of filicide. I wondered if they’d put my death on America’s Most Wanted: The Case of the Murdering Mom!

I’d become famous. Dead, but famous. Like Elvis.

Mom’s weapon of choice was breakfast. She’d call me into the kitchen on weekend mornings and there it was, laid out on the table: an arsenal of eggs, bacon, and sausage. I’d stand there looking at it like a man examining the knot of his own noose.

Finally, she’d tell me to sit down and eat before my so-called food got cold. Afraid that she’d just backflip over the kitchen bar like a ninja and snap my neck with nunchucks if I didn’t comply, I did as I was told. I imagined her sneaking glimpses at me as she washed dishes – the assassin watching to see if her poison was taking effect.

But I was on to her. I’d been taught at school and by the nice people that make cereal commercials that a nutritious breakfast consisted of cereal, juice, milk, and toast with jelly. Meat was bad. Eggs were bad. And dietary fat was so bad that it only occupied the smallest segment of the indubitable food pyramid.

In order to counteract the poison that was Saturday morning breakfast, I’d spend the rest of the week eating nutritious breakfasts like Apple Jacks with orange juice and toast (topped with cinnamon and sugar of course.)

The antidote seemed to work. I evaded the homicidal plots of my mother and counterbalanced her ominous omelets with vitamin fortified cereal and bread.

I lived. I became a chubby little bastard for some odd reason, but I lived.

Everything Changes… And Stays the Same

Poor mom. Turns out her breakfasts were probably a whole lot healthier than the sugar/flour bombs pushed onto us by sleazy food manufacturers and questionable government officials. Sadly, not much has changed in that <a href="http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/consumer_guard_dog_part_iii"target=“new”>department.

Luckily, I’ve changed from chubby kid to athletic adult, due in large part to breaking most dietary “rules” that trickle down from cereal makers, politicians, and fat-denying dieticians.

For example, my favorite weekend breakfast is full of good fats (gasp!), high in protein (oh, my kidneys!) and low in carbs (how will I ever have any energy!)

I first wrote about the unfortunately named frittata <a href="http://www.tmuscle.com/article/diet_and_nutrition/5_lessons_in_hardcore_cookin&cr="target=“new”>HERE, but this is a better recipe, designed to get you lean and support muscle growth and proper hormone levels. Check it out:

[center]Cast Iron Frittata [/center]
Ingredients:

6 or 7 omega-3 eggs (from flaxseed-fed chickens)
1 tablespoon of omega-3 enriched butter or can of Pam cooking spray
1 small onion, diced or sliced (pre-chopped & frozen is fine)
A few sliced Portobello mushrooms or your choice of 'shroom
1 or 2 avocados
Big bunch of spinach leaves
3 to 4 tablespoons of sour cream
Chopped garlic
Fresh ground pepper and pink sea salt
Herbs and spices of your choice (I used dried rosemary and coriander seeds, but basil, parsley and just about anything else works.)

Instructions:

1. First, get a good cast iron pan (Lodge brand, preseasoned, is my favorite) or any oven-safe pan. Cast iron is awesome because it can go right from stovetop to oven, plus you get a good forearm workout just cooking with it and cleaning it.

2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Mix your eggs with the sour cream, salt, pepper, and herbs and spices of choice.

3. Get the fire going under your cast iron pan for a few minutes, then add your butter or Pam. Add onion and cook until translucent.

4. In another pan, wilt your spinach down and squeeze it dry. (Or just unthaw frozen spinach and squeeze dry.)

5. Add about half the mushrooms to the cast iron pan, the garlic, and all the spinach. Toss it all together for a minute or two.

6. Pour in the egg mixture and top with the rest of the mushrooms and the avocado. Kill the heat under the pan.

7. Transfer pan to the 450 degree oven and cook for 6-7 minutes. You’ll want to take it out when the center is still a little giggly since eggs continue to cook after they’re off the heat. They’ll “set” in a few minutes after you take them out.

8. Let cool a bit, then slice into pie-shaped segments and serve. Or just eat it out of the pan like I do.

Ideas and Options

• Any vegetable works here. My favorite variation is using asparagus, which is how this recipe is made in some fancy restaurants. Add some lemon zest and chives to it if you try that.

• Go crazy with the dried herb and spice variations. A millions options here, and it’s hard to go wrong. If you’re not much of a cook and don’t have a spice rack full o’ goodies, just pick a Mrs. Dash flavor.

• I use fat-free sour cream. Seems weird, I know, but I like to pick and choose my fats. So, whole eggs from flax-fed chickens, yes. The extra calories from full-fat sour cream, no thanks. You can even make this with egg whites if that suits your dietary needs. That would drop the total calories too if you need it.

• Frittatas like this are great re-heated. Make one at night and have it for breakfast for the next three days.

Enjoy this one over the weekend. And hey, make one for your mom too. She’s probably less murderous than you thought.

As noted, I love cast iron and the Lodge brand is top notch (www.lodgemfg.com). Lasts forever too. In these pics I’m using a cast iron pan that belonged to my grandmother. We think it was made in the 1920’s or 30’s. I just re-seasoned it before using.

Another variation made with tomatoes and topped with parmesan cheese before baking.

Add your variations and pics!

I like to do a basic frittata.

6 oz. of grilled chicken, cubed
6 eggs-beaten
2 oz. of shredded cheese
Some salsa.

Spray some olive oil/coconut oil in a pan.
Heat skillet to medium high and turn on broiler
Evenly spread the chicken across your cast iron skillet. If your chicken isn’t cooked, just cook it in the skillet and get some extra flavor.
Pour eggs over chicken, and cook undisturbed, for about 5-8 minutes or until they are barely set
Top with cheese and place in oven
Broil for 3-5 minutes.

Top with Salsa and eat. It serves about 2. Right about 50 grams protein each. The beauty of this is you can add whatever veggies you want (onions, peppers (jalapeno, habanero, bell, poblano, etc.), etc.) and maybe some cilantro and avocados.

rather ironicly (is that even a word) my mom makes me the same thing, without onions though because i despise onions.

This meal can be eaten anytime of the day.

I eat omlettes or egg dishes for lunch and breakfast as well.

My god that looks good… I’m getting hungry looking at the pics and I just ate

At first I started reading this and thought “Is he on drugs?”… Took me till the cereal commercial stuff to read the sarcasim… I’m getting slow in my old age, or the affects of the time change just don’t have my brain firing yet…

I swear, we really need a food recipe forum here on the site where we can post recipes, as this is one of the tried and true ones… At least I can bookmark it now and when someone asks me what they should be eating for breakfast I can link it…

:slight_smile:

I play around with frittatas and use a variety of ingrediants. Last year, for Mom’s day, I made a denver frittata (ham, onion, cheese). Yes, no peppers since my mom-in-law can’t stand them. I also like to make them with any left over veggies, broccoli, spinach, tomato, onion, peppers, whatever. Cheese varies. Sometimes, I just sprinkle some parmesian on top. Other times I mix in cheddar, or goat cheese, or guoda. It all works.

Oh, I also like to place the frittata under the broiler for a few minutes to add some color. I like that golden brown color you can get. Just do that a few minutes earlier than you would take it out of the oven. If you add cheese on top, do it before you put it under the broiler.

One last tip. If you want to heat up a cast iron pan FAST, turn it upside down over the burner (if you have a gas stove. Never tried it on electric). This traps more of the heat and makes the pan get hot quickly. I saw this on a cooking show and the chef was actually using the bottom of the cast iron pan to cook. It was red hot and made for some nice searing.

Another trick that is great to do is a skillet soufle…separate the egg whites and whip them until stiff. Mix the yolks in with the rest of the mixture and fold that mixture into the whites. Then put it on the stove to let it sit-up and then to the oven broiler to get a nice golden top.

Texture is a lot better this way.

Is it me or does Avocado taste like I’m eating butter? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m liking this meal, though, Chris. You should post up some snacks that you eat because I’ll be damned I can never figure out what to eat in between meals. Maybe you should throw up a jerky recipe or something? :o

Chris, you’d like this thing:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/calphalon-unison-slide-nonstick-frittata-pan/?pkey=x|4|1||4|fritatta%20pan||0&cm_src=SCH

I’ve been thinking about getting one, I love making fritatta on the weekends.
My favorite additions:
Goat Cheese
Feta
Asparagus
Tomatoes
Leftover meat (steak, etc.)

One technique I like is to beat your eggs, but also take a few egg whites and beat them separately until they are really fluffy. Then gently fold the 2 together. Gives you a SUPER fluffy fritatta, almost like a souffle.

Hey Chris(t) <-- Just a joke

As a Former Fat Boy, i have been stalking your posts and reading more and more of the archived ones, thanks for all the information sir!

I am just wondering with a recipe like this, how much of that do you eat for your breakfast?

Also as a FFB trying to cut down body-fat do you think it is a better idea to have a carb-cyclical diet or a straight trace carb only diet where any carbs come from tons of veggies and trace carbs in things like cottage cheese?

If my questions are beyond the scope of quick answers i totally understand i just figure with an info source like you at hand the only stupid question is one i don’t even try to ask :wink:

Cheers and keep up the writing!!

[quote]Perpalicious wrote:
Is it me or does Avocado taste like I’m eating butter? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m liking this meal, though, Chris. You should post up some snacks that you eat because I’ll be damned I can never figure out what to eat in between meals. Maybe you should throw up a jerky recipe or something? :o[/quote]

Avocados were once called “the poor man’s butter.” Kinda ironic now though since avocados aren’t cheap.

Check out the thread on home-roasted almonds if you haven’t yet, and I’ll see what other snack recipes I have handy. But I’m not much of a snacker. I have Metabolic Drive shakes and sometimes bars between cooked meals.

Almond thread: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/lowfat_is_lazy_snack_recipe

[quote]HG Thrower wrote:
Chris, you’d like this thing:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/calphalon-unison-slide-nonstick-frittata-pan/?pkey=x|4|1||4|fritatta%20pan||0&cm_src=SCH

I’ve been thinking about getting one, I love making fritatta on the weekends.
My favorite additions:
Goat Cheese
Feta
Asparagus
Tomatoes
Leftover meat (steak, etc.)

One technique I like is to beat your eggs, but also take a few egg whites and beat them separately until they are really fluffy. Then gently fold the 2 together. Gives you a SUPER fluffy fritatta, almost like a souffle.[/quote]

I’ve seen that pan, looks cool, but ouch, 100 to 150 bucks? I’ll flip my own frit like a cheapskate!

Will definitely try that folding trick though. Very cool. Thanks!

[quote]JudsonFit wrote:
Hey Chris(t) <-- Just a joke

As a Former Fat Boy, i have been stalking your posts and reading more and more of the archived ones, thanks for all the information sir!

I am just wondering with a recipe like this, how much of that do you eat for your breakfast?

Also as a FFB trying to cut down body-fat do you think it is a better idea to have a carb-cyclical diet or a straight trace carb only diet where any carbs come from tons of veggies and trace carbs in things like cottage cheese?

If my questions are beyond the scope of quick answers i totally understand i just figure with an info source like you at hand the only stupid question is one i don’t even try to ask :wink:

Cheers and keep up the writing!! [/quote]

1. You know, I don’t count calories or even pay much attention to portion size these days. Of course, when I cook it’s all volumized so I can eat a lot of it without worrying too much. Did an article on that here:

That said, I tend to eat the whole thing in 2-3 sittings! But, I’m pretty lean already and most of the year just strive to maintain that. I’d watch things more closely if I still had a lot of body fat to lose. Maintaining leanness is a different ballgame than actively dieting for fast fat loss.

1. Carb cycling is great, but a straight low-carb plan works great too. People have lost tons of fat on both plans. I do find that low carb all the time is “easier.” Less wiggle room, fewer chances to mess it up, less complex.

But for the hard-training lifter, I like this: low-carb most of the day but not neglecting the peri-workout nutrition period. In other words, I may eat 50 carbs of solid food spread throughout the day, but then pack in another 50 or so with Surge Recovery. So it’s sort of a “smart carb” approach: paleo-ish most of the time, but not neglecting properly timed carbs from advanced workout drinks. Easy to drop fat this way, and no misery from going super-low carb.

[quote]Smallfry69 wrote:

I swear, we really need a food recipe forum here on the site where we can post recipes, as this is one of the tried and true ones…
:)[/quote]

I’m hoping we’ll be doing something like that when the Velocity Life project kicks off.

[quote]Kerley wrote:
rather ironicly (is that even a word) my mom makes me the same thing, without onions though because i despise onions. [/quote]

No onions? Oooooh, you are missing out.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]Smallfry69 wrote:

I swear, we really need a food recipe forum here on the site where we can post recipes, as this is one of the tried and true ones…
:)[/quote]

I’m hoping we’ll be doing something like that when the Velocity Life project kicks off. [/quote]
I agree with this. A place where I can quickly find lots of options for asparagus… yea, that would be awesome.

dude make a cookbook already!

[quote]SirenSong61 wrote:

[quote]Kerley wrote:
rather ironicly (is that even a word) my mom makes me the same thing, without onions though because i despise onions. [/quote]

No onions? Oooooh, you are missing out.[/quote]

its the texture of onions that i dont like if they are fried to shit i can eat them but then thats kinda counter productive to getting lean, the same with the skin of an apple the texture is weird so i cant eat it LOL