Biotest

Can't Have Caffeine

I have a problem with my heart (SVT�??Supra Ventricular Tachycardia) and a bit of a sensitive stomach, but am otherwise a healthy and fit 21-year-old male college student. I have been lifting seriously and eating carefully for some time and want to try the V-Diet at some point this summer to cut a bit (although I am pretty slim… six-pack is visible a bit).

On account of my SVT, my doctor has advised me to stay away from caffeine. I had a catheter ablation about a year ago that fixed two of the three mechanisms for SVT that the doctors found. The one that they missed (as it was really close to my AV node, and they didn’t want to risk screwing me up and putting me on a pacemaker) doesn’t seem to contribute too much to my condition, as I haven’t gone into SVT since (although they were able to induce it in the operating room after the ablation procedure had finished). To play it safe, my doctor has me on a small dosage of a beta blocker (Toprol) and advises that I don’t use caffeine.

Can someone tell me how they think this will effect my progress on the V-Diet, and any adjustments I should make, particularly in place of HOT-ROX?

Thanks a ton!
-Dan

From my experience, HOT-ROX makes a noticeable difference as far as my energy level goes during V-Diet workouts. I’m on day 6 of my V-Diet, and it’s certainly come in handy with the lack of carbs. You could certainly try Caffeine-Free Spike in place of HOT-ROX, but I’m not an expert on the thermogenic potential of something without caffeine in it (its fairly intuitive to think you won’t lose the most possible weight without a thermogenic like HOT-ROX). The Caffeine-Free Spike could certain help your energy levels during workouts though.

I’m fairly certain any stimulants like Spike would be out as well.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that I have a super-fast metabolism. I have had difficulty gaining weight, and my metabolism sped up even further (and noticeably) when I began lifting seriously. In order to even maintain weight, I need to be eating as much as I can, and every 2-3 hours.

So, I’m not sure that I’d need the stimulants for their benefits in terms of speeding up the metabolism. What I do want, however, is (obviously) to minimize muscle gain while I shed weight.
Dan

[quote]LiarPantsOnFire wrote:
One thing that I forgot to mention is that I have a super-fast metabolism. I have had difficulty gaining weight, and my metabolism sped up even further (and noticeably) when I began lifting seriously. In order to even maintain weight, I need to be eating as much as I can, and every 2-3 hours.

So, I’m not sure that I’d need the stimulants for their benefits in terms of speeding up the metabolism. What I do want, however, is (obviously) to minimize muscle gain while I shed weight.
Dan[/quote]

WTF? You have a superfast metabolism, difficulties gaining weight yet you are on the V-Diet?? Something doesn’t compute. How did you get the weight on you that you need to lose? I’m confused.

Also - Why would anyone ever want to minimize muscle gain? Was that a typo?

Sorry for the confusion.
I have been on a bulking phase for the last 6 months or so and want to slim down for the summer. I have historically had difficulty gaining weight, but I have been building muscle during this bulking phase, and with that has come, of course, a small amount of fat.

It’s a very small amount… my six-pack is still visible. But I want to get seriously cut and see what that is like.

The way that I gained weight involved drinking a serious amount of Weight Gainer (ProLab’s NLarge2) and serious training. I am slim, but not SHREDDED, and I do want to see what that is like.

And yes, it was a typo: I want to minimize muscle LOSS, not gain.

thanks, and sorry.
Dan

p.s… I am not yet on the VDiet, but I would like to start it at some point this summer and am just doing some research on it first…

GSD might be better for you.

Why the fuck do you need the V-Diet?

Lay off the bulking food and you should be fine, you ectomorph bastard! LOL! /curmudgeon

Seriously though - your six-pack is still visible? The V-Diet is for those of us who want to know if there’s a six-pack somewhere underneath that fatty apron.

I no longer have a 6 pack, I have a keg. :smiley:

Try oxiracitam (spelling?). Look into the nootropics. There’s a thread on it on the T-Nation.

Don’t do the V-Diet. It’s not for you. But given that most people don’t listen, try Caffeine-Free Spike and Carbolin 19.

Instead of doing the V-Diet just cut back a bit and maybe up your cardio. If you can see part of your abs you just don’t need to go as ar as the V-Diet.

Hey, thanks for your suggestions, especially Makavali.

The goal is to get ripped, and why shouldn’t I be able to! I am definitely an ectomorph, but I’m also concerned about losing fat safely (healthily) and without sacrificing muscle. The V-Diet seems to be a good way of doing so, if I’m not mistaken. Why is everyone discouraging me from it? It’s not like I’m ridiculously low BF%… If I had to guess, I’d say I’m 9 or 10%. There is still room to lose!

Anyways, I’m open to other suggestions. Will look into GSD as suggested. JoeGood’s suggestion also is right on, but I want something a bit more structured than what he suggests…

thanks again!
Dan

Try a another diet. The V-Diet probably isn’t for you, especially if you aren’t taking something to help keep the muscle.

You don’t need to take anything to “keep the muscle”. Just follow the plan - the whole thing was designed to ‘keep muscle’ on a low calorie eating plan.

I did the diet with no caffeine and it worked exactly as expected.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.