Biotest

Can't Find Natural Nut Butter

I cant find any natural nut butter, it all contains loads of crap. Is it ok to substitute with unprocessed nuts, an amount equal to 210 calories? Since the ingredients in natural nut butter should be only nuts and salt anyways, and I love pistachios.

I feel so sorry for you…but yes, I would think subbing in unprocessed nuts would be adequate. But seriously, where are you that you don’t have a super market/farmers market/anything that would carry these items?

Where are you looking? I have never seen a grocery store that didn’t have natural peanut butter. Are you looking for something other than peanuts?

No. Too easy to overeat and kills some of the habit-changing effects of the V-Diet.

Natural nut butter is available everywhere, even WalMart. As long as the ingredients say “peanuts, salt” and nothing else, you’re good to go.

The nut butter I use has no salt just peanuts. Do I need the sodium?

[quote]Fang66 wrote:
The nut butter I use has no salt just peanuts. Do I need the sodium?[/quote]

Actually, yes. You do need salt in your diet, and on the V-Diet the main source is the natural nut butter.

With a food processor which you can buy for not that much money, you can make your own nut butters very easily. Just throw the nuts in and let it go for awhile and you have natural homemade nut butter. You can throw in whatever else you like after the nut turns into a butter. I like to add in a little bit of raw honey and some chocolate protein powder to make a chocolate peanut butter. When adding protein powder you will have to add a little bit of water to keep it from getting too stiff.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]Fang66 wrote:
The nut butter I use has no salt just peanuts. Do I need the sodium?[/quote]

Actually, yes. You do need salt in your diet, and on the V-Diet the main source is the natural nut butter. [/quote]

YES! I intially used unsalted peanut butter. After about a week I started adding in some table salt to the PB and not only did it taste better, I seemed to feel better. Usually with a normal diet, sodium intake is not an issue, but with the V-Diet, almost all of that sodium goes away.

I’ve been adding raw unsalted almond butter to my shakes. I didn’t know about the need for salt, seems like I learn something new each day with this diet! I have a Blend-tec so I’m going to try and make my own with added salt.

[quote]Svenntr wrote:
I cant find any natural nut butter, it all contains loads of crap. Is it ok to substitute with unprocessed nuts, an amount equal to 210 calories? [/quote] Use sesame butter (tahini), preferably from whole grain sesame seeds.

…Don’t know if u have it in your country, but my tahini from whole grain sesame seeds contains 1,2% Carbs.
No salt, no artificial sweeteners, nothing extra added.

Ah, I see now you’re from Norway. Any health food stores around? Natural grocery kinda places?

If all else fails, make your own. It’s pretty easy.