Biotest

Can Sushi Qualify for HSM?

I’m going out to a pretty far away place on Sunday for BB gun gaming, and probably the most healthy solid meal option I can get while there is sushi. I live in Japan, so there’s nothing fancy about it. Just tuna and salmon on rice. They do lots of other weird things, but I only like the simple stuff. None of that California Roll yumness. I realize white rice is high GI, but I wonder what your opinions are about having a few pieces for my HSM.

Maybe stick to sashimi (if you can afford it) :slight_smile:

Lots of fish, a little rice.

That will work, though I usually don’t suggest white rice (or rice at all) as part of the HSM. Keep it to a minimum.

Also, try to get some veggies in there. A lot. One of the purposes of the HSM is to retrain the taste buds to prefer healthier, filling foods like vegetables. So it’s important to get some with your HSM. This ingrains that preference.

The ideal HSM is:

A lot of protein (fish, chicken, steak, etc.)
A lot of vegetables (green and steamed, or as salad)
A little starch (sweet potato etc.)
Some fat (I choose a steak for this)

Great. Thanks for the replies, Lowlight and Chris.
I’ll do a little research about the city I’m going to and see if I can find something a little more appropriate. Thus far my HSMs have been pretty good. Here’s a picture of my second one. I’m on day 19 right now, losing fat fast, but shocked at how much more I have to go. I really fall into the category of people who think they’re leaner than they are. Damn you ‘special-lighting-in-the-bathroom-upper-abs’ I thought I was about 11%, but I was probably closer to 15-16%.

Anyway, If I can’t find anything suitable, I might do sashimi and veggies with a little rice or I might do something called yakiniku, which is basically where you grill meat at your table and chow down. I’ll skip the sauces, have a small rice and load up on veggies. We’ll see how it goes. Result and pictures from main phase in 10 days or so.

HSM was:
Roast beef tenderloin with an olive oil/salt/pepper/thyme/garlic rub
Roast sweet potato wedges with olive oil/rosemary
2 tomato-pizzas (thanks, Chris)
1 red pepper and other mixed veg stir-fried with a little garlic and soy sauce.

I actually had to stop myself from making sushi my HSM while on the diet. Sushi is one of my favourite things to eat, and there’s an extremely wide variety that I love. I had to stop myself because A) I would have eaten WAY too much of everything, including a lot of rice and B) I would have probably spent more on one meal than the entire month of supplements for the diet!

Keep the rice to a minimum, and see if the place offers anything in the way of veggies. Eat lots of tuna and salmon.

IMHO, I don’t think you should really be doing this diet anyway. From the picture in your profile and from the looks of your avatar, a diet seems to be the last thing you need, let alone the V-Diet. I’m just saying that it would suck having to do this diet for 6 weeks only to realize that you could have been gaining weight the whole time and turned out looking better.

My .02

-dizzle

Hah Hah. Thanks A-Dizz. As you can see from the pic, I’m not a big guy. I’m 5’7" and by the end of the V-Diet I’ll probably weigh about 150lbs. That said, I used to weigh almost 200lbs (and I’m much stronger now than I was then) and this is the final push towards getting sub 10%. Basically, now that I’m no longer fat, I’m getting extremely sick of being small.

Thibs and others recommend getting sub-10% before bulking, and as a FFB, I have no desire to gain 4lbs of fat for every 1lb of muscle.
Once I finish the transition phase, I’ll finally be in a position to stop dieting and start bulking, which seems a HELL of a lot more fun.

[quote]growr wrote:
Hah Hah. Thanks A-Dizz. As you can see from the pic, I’m not a big guy. I’m 5’7" and by the end of the V-Diet I’ll probably weigh about 150lbs. That said, I used to weigh almost 200lbs (and I’m much stronger now than I was then) and this is the final push towards getting sub 10%. Basically, now that I’m no longer fat, I’m getting extremely sick of being small.

Thibs and others recommend getting sub-10% before bulking, and as a FFB, I have no desire to gain 4lbs of fat for every 1lb of muscle.
Once I finish the transition phase, I’ll finally be in a position to stop dieting and start bulking, which seems a HELL of a lot more fun.
[/quote]

Good man. As an FFB myself I can empathize with your motives. Make sure you don’t do what I did though: don’t get fat in the name of “bulking.” I’m starting my second bulk right now actually and I’m living my life by Thibs’ rule of, “If you can’t diet off the fat you gained on the bulk in 3 weeks time, you’re too fat.”

-dizzle

[quote]growr wrote:
… and as a FFB, I have no desire to gain 4lbs of fat for every 1lb of muscle.
[/quote]

Word.

You’re in the same position as a lot of us are/were. Good luck with the diet!

OMG what’s up with that picture of food, on my non HSM day? That looked sooo goood… I guess I need to go grab another shake.