Biotest

Can Muscle Be Built During the Velocity Diet?

I am a female in her mid-'60’s who lifted weights and in pretty good shape for several years until about 4 years ago, when my partner’s health demanded a lot of medical care and a huge amount of attention on my part.

Now I am 4 months post cervical spine surgery, with great and rapid recovery, cleared by my surgeon to start working out, after extremely successful rehab and outpatient physical therapy. (He lifts weights, etc., himself so he has a clear understanding of it and a god appreciation of what good shape I am in at my core.)

My greatest issue now is that after 5 months of mostly lying in bed – 2 so to reduce risk to my spinal cord while waiting for the surgery and 3 during the post-surgery recovery, my muscle tone is quite weak.

The issue I am struggling with is fatigue and stamina – brought on by weakened muscles. The only way back is to rebuild my muscles.

I lost 20 lbs during the 5 month period, the same 20 lbs I gained during the 4 year period of managing my partner’s care. But I am starting to gain it back and this time it is going on as all flab and creating a huge gut in my belly and generally making me look pudgy.

I’ve heard from others that fatigue is an issue in the Velocity diet – I am not so concerned about that as I am pretty energetic – even in my weakened state - than most people a couple of decades younger.

I am more concerned as to whether the Velocity Diet will help build (or rebuild in my case) muscle in addition to burning fat. If all I am able to do is maintain what muscle I have (which is much less than desirable) - I wonder if it is right for me.

This is a particularly good time for me to focus on my fitness. I am on medical leave for another 4 + months because of what was the anticipated time for recovery, which means I am relieved of most aspects of the demands of my profession. My partner is in a skilled nursing facility now permanently – and though I have to monitor it regularly to ensure his care, it is much less now than it has been for the last 4 years.

I want to take advantage of this time to get myself back to a good strong condition. I’ve been looking for a program – the velocity diet sounds good – you mention about the additional free time because of less food prep – and I could use that to catch up on a lot of personal affairs that also got neglected over the last 5 years.

So I know this is a much more multi-dimensional question than is usually asked – but the bottom line is what is going to happen to my muscle strength during the diet and exercise program? Will it help me recoup some of the strength I lost or will I just remain in steady state with respect to that aspect?

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

The issues with my partner started in 2009 and accelerated in 2010 through last December 2013 – then my own issues began. I am in somewhat worse condition than the start of these photos – and of course 10 years older and a bit spent – but most people think, even now, that I am in my early 50’s at the oldest.

Is the Velocity Diet for me? I have the time now to devote to it.

Any feedback whether the Velocity Diet is for me would be much appreciated. I am currently 5’3 1/2", 150 lbs, still quite strong, flexible and nimble with plenty of energy – and anxious to reclaim my former body. :slight_smile:

Most people will build or maintain lean muscle on the V-Diet. While it’s primarily a focused fat-loss program, there are several mechanisms in place that help you build muscle – the workout program itself is unique and challenging, the high protein intake, the workout drink (Surge) and even some of the ingredients in the fat burner (Hot-Rox) contain muscle-building ingredients. So I think you’re good to go.

When some people say they feel fatigued it’s probably because they’re not used to a lower calorie or lower carb intake. While this isn’t a “low carb” diet in the keto sense of the word, it’s lower than what most people who need to lose fat are used to. The removal of food addictions can be tough too for those who have them, but this only takes a few days physiologically, maybe a little longer psychologically. (Also, some people just don’t follow the diet correctly, which can lead to fatigue if they tweak the plan the wrong way - like leaving out some of the supplement components, skipping shakes etc.) Most people feel pretty energetic though given the fat burner. Those who don’t will adjust after a week or so as their body adopts to the lower carb intake.

Thank you for that amazing, quick and thorough response. I am definitely considering it.